Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Banned

Re: New Dream Theater Song

To my surprise, I love it. Took me a few listens to get into it, as it's not so riff-orientated and to me, that helps in remembering the song. But since the day it came about it's been on repeat a lot for me.

Oh, and Jordan did a Vokle chat the other day and confirmed Petrucci wrote these lyrics, which shocked me considering his lyrical work on BC&SL, and also that Labrie usually writes the more political lyrics.

By the way, have you noticed how the structure of the song is very similar to Pull Me Under? In fact...almost identical.

Gee, those drums sure are boring.

Don't get me wrong, the song is great, but when they said the drummer wouldn't be any Portnoy they weren't kidding. He can do decent fills and all, but the actual 'main beat' structure of the song feels REALLY REALLY lacking. Then again I did get that feeling with Pull me Under too so I can't say it doesn't make sense seeing as this IS very similarly structured to pull me under as sway pointed out. Also, the title of the new album is so fitting it's almost lulzy. 'A dramatic turn of events'. I dunno if they're trying to troll Portnoy and his fans or what but whatever lol!

All in all song sounds good and if the album is anything like this song I'll definitely check it out.
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shad Shadson
    Gee, those drums sure are boring.

Don't get me wrong, the song is great, but when they said the drummer wouldn't be any Portnoy they weren't kidding. He can do decent fills and all, but the actual 'main beat' structure of the song feels REALLY REALLY lacking. Then again I did get that feeling with Pull me Under too so I can't say it doesn't make sense seeing as this IS very similarly structured to pull me under as sway pointed out. Also, the title of the new album is so fitting it's almost lulzy. 'A dramatic turn of events'. I dunno if they're trying to troll Portnoy and his fans or what but whatever lol!

All in all song sounds good and if the album is anything like this song I'll definitely check it out.
    Switch to 720p and see if it changes your opinion. I thought the same too, well in a different way, I just thought they were low in volume, but Youtube compresses to 2:1. But you definitely hear more out of the drums in 720p.

Oh, and the band confirmed neither the album title or artwork is a reference to Portnoy, and that the theme of the album is spiritual, mental and historical changes in life, that 'dramatically turned' our world we live in today.

Edit:

Found a list of similarities between PMU and OTBOA

Comparison: PMU/OTBOA

Guitar Intro: :0 / :15
    Intro w/Keys: :19 / 1:00
    Intro w.Heavy Guitar: :57 / 1:28
    Main Riff: 1:16 / 1:55
    Main Riff w/Keys: 1:34 / 2:09
    Pre Verse Transition: 1:53 / 2:23
    Verse 1: 2:00 / 2:31
    Verse Bridge: 2:19 / 2:45
    Transition Riff: 2:39 / 2:59
    Verse 2: 2:56 / 3:14
    Verse Bridge: 3:15 / 3:29
    Pre Chorus Music: 3:33 / 3:42
    Chorus: 3:44 / 3:55
    Transition Riff: 4:03 / 4:23
    Verse 3: 4:13 / 4:36
    Verse Bridge: 4:30 / 4:50
    Pre Chorus Music: 4:50 / 5:04
    Chorus: 5:09 / 5:24
    Keyboard Interlude (Music Low): 5:28 / 5:52
    Key Interlude w/Drums: 5:47 / 6:05
    Guitar Solo (Music Up): 6:06 / 6:19
    Solo Outro: 6:24 / 6:47
    Chorus: 6:33 / 6:57
    Chorus w/alt riff: 6:53 / 7:25
    Outro Riff: 7:12 / 7:39
    Outro Riff w/Keys: 7:30 / 8:07

Although this is scarily similar, I'm guessing they didn't mean it, because I believe if they did, it was to pay tribute to Pull me Under for some reason, which would have been supported if OTBOA ended abruptly like PMU did, which was what it was signature for.

Interesting, I didn't notice the ressemblance to PMU (also that I don't listen to that song much at all).
    Anyway, in an interview, Rudess said that OTBOA is not the most complex song of the album. I believe it can be translated to 'oh man this album is going to be so unbelievably technical'. Personally, I hate that DT sacrifice songwriting only to show off in their songs. Their latest 2 albums before had some terrible cheesy lyrics. I feel sad for Labrie.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    Interesting, I didn't notice the ressemblance to PMU (also that I don't listen to that song much at all).
    Anyway, in an interview, Rudess said that OTBOA is not the most complex song of the album. I believe it can be translated to 'oh man this album is going to be so unbelievably technical'. Personally, I hate that DT sacrifice songwriting only to show off in their songs. Their latest 2 albums before had some terrible cheesy lyrics. I feel sad for Labrie.
    I think he meant musically technical though. On the interview, someone asked if there will be any Dance of Eternity-like songs, in which he answered with that. He also said something about them concentrating on being more melodic in his solos this album.

Although I do agree, they do like to showcase their technical skills where it isn't needed.