Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain America

Captain America

Just saw it with a buddy of mine.

The movie started off well enough, I felt some suspense in the opening scene and later and a bit of remorse for Steve (Captain A), being the little guy and not being allowed in the army and stuff. But really, the movie doesn't work.

There's just so many things that make no sense. Steve suddenly leading all the army, love interest manifesting from nothing, mass amounts of futuristic technology supposedly made by a handful of men, Captain A's character clashing with his actions, it just goes on and on.

I would be willing to let that go if the action made up for it, but even the action was awful. Everything looked so staged and fake, I couldn't get into it. Every action scene is just a bunch of random, seemingly unrelated clips of shitty slow motion and gay effects.

I was initially excited for this movie. There have been so many crappy superhero movies, I was looking forward to a gritty, realistic WWII action flick. Not this film I'm afraid.

Anyways, if you feel like wasting your time watching another shitty superhero movie, watch this one I guess.

PS: This video echoes my thoughts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltE0o-pFlw

Re: Captain America

Yeh, a mate of mine said it was pretty shitty as well. The only superhero movies I've really liked so far this year are the new X-men and transformers.

[spoiler:n0wbhfsc][/spoiler:n0wbhfsc]

Ward for Administrator

Devoted Veteran

I think you're being completely unfair on the movie and are just wrong about certain things.

Steve never 'leads the army' as far as I know, quite the contrary, despite his amazing powers he's immediately laughed at by the army and treated as a circus act because he's become a glorified advertisement. It's not until he risks himself to save the POWs that the army applauds him and realises his potential, that's when he gets his team together which included Bucky.

I'll admit the love interest was a little rushed. It starts off well enough, with Peggy showing Steven affection despite his size and then it develops quite well once he becomes Cap, but from the point where he kisses that other woman to the end, I feel like they missed a few scenes. It's a shame they didn't pay more attention to it.

The 'futuristic technology' is hardly what you claim it to be, considering this movie was based on a comic book where a guy CAN TURN INTO A GIANT GREEN ABOMINATION WHEN HE GETS ANGRY. Yes, it's true, there was none of that stuff really happening in WWII, but if you want historical accuracy watch a documentary. I've never been in to Cap all that much, but I know HYDRA has always had some of the most advanced technology known to man.

Also please explain how Captain A's character was clashing with his actions and how it goes on and on.

The actions scenes themselves were pretty solid as well. Every so often I'd notice how obvious the CGI was when Cap was throwing a Nazi but it all looked very good regardless. The action scenes are always easy to follow and there are no unrelated clips in there whatsoever, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 'Shitty slow motion and gay effects', that statement alone should discredit anything you have to say about a movie truth be told.

I'll admit it wasn't a great movie (the ending was a little... odd to say the least, can anyone explain that to me in spoilers? Like I said, I didn't read much Captain America when I was younger so I didn't really understand, at first I thought [spoiler:bxhbzv0e]the energy thing was the thing Iron Man eventually uses as a replacement for his heart but I was barely paying attention when they were talking about it so I wasn't really following at that point[/spoiler:bxhbzv0e], but it was good for what it was and I assume that's why it's been getting solid reviews by some good critics. If you want to watch a good superhero movie, give this a watch. If you want to watch a great superhero movie, go watch Iron Man again or cross your fingers and hope The Avengers doesn't suck. Oh yes, there is a clip for The Avengers are the end of this movie, but it's not all that great, literally nothing is shown and you barely even see The Avengers together in it, I'm sure it'll look better once the proper trailers are out though!

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, always open to different opinions, that was just my immediate reaction to the film. The movie is still very fresh in my mind, and I'll explain my reasoning in further detail, if I may.

As for the "leading the army" bit, I was exaggerating a little to make my point but I didn't notice any worthwhile suggestions he made to the General or anyone else. He saves the POW's and is suddenly thrust into a pivotal role in focusing the army. The film just goes into a montage of him and his new war buddies busting into Hydra bases (how do they know where these are?) and kicking ass. Other than that, there's no leadership or real sense of direction or experience (this has been his first few days in the army, period) that gains his role. Perhaps they cut out a few scenes where he becomes a leader gradually.

About the romantic relationship, agreed. Definitely missed something here and there. I think he made a good impression on her, with his goodness and heroism, but you really don't see their relationship develop.

And the "futuristic technology", I wasn't referring to the believability (is that a word?) that such technology could exist in a comic book movie, I was speaking of the quality and quantity in such a short period of time. You see, they find the glowing blue rock, then plug it into the system, having no clue of it's properties, capabilities, or adaptability to their systems. Obviously, they coudn't have made all those weapons in a matter of days. So, they just had all those guns and tanks waiting around in case they found this blue thing? How would they design so much stuff having literally no idea how this blue thing works?

As for "Captain A's character clashing", I meant that he goes completely contrary to his nature by invading bases. His defining characteristics in the first half of the movie are "never give up", "do what's right", "jump on a grenade to save my friends". Yet he leads all his men straight into enemy territory with seemingly no plan other than to smash in and kill the nazi's. Regardless of his physical appearance, he's a gentle guy by nature. He's not driven by hate, revenge, or power. Perhaps it's just the editing, but it seems like he's being the "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of guy during the montage.

I can't explain further on the action other than to say it made no sense to me. It just seems like random clips of punching guys and destroying tanks. There was no plan, no structure, no sense at all. It felt like it could be a part of some long trailer for an action movie, nothing more. And the slow motion was pointless because it showed absolutely no extra detail. Usually you slow things down to get a better look at what's going on, but there was nothing going on; it would just slow at random moments, at least it seemed that way. If you watch any film with decent slow motion, they use it sparingly and for added effect. Captain America used it constantly during action scenes and at the wrong moments.

And the ending
    [spoiler:28d93lek]Captain saves the day then lands in the ice. He goes into some sort of coma and is left in the ice for 70 years. He is found and thawed out, they hope to slowly acclaim him to modern life but he discovers he's been asleep and is now in the modern day. He didn't age because of something to do with his cells and his super power or something. The energy cube has nothing to do with it, they find it but continue their search for Captain instead. Nobody finds him for 70 years etc etc.

The laser beams sounded exactly like Iron Man's jet booster things so I imagine they're somehow related but they didn't cover it in the movie whatsoever.[/spoiler:28d93lek]

I think The Avengers will be better. Honestly most of the recent hero flicks are just an appetizer for The Avengers and it will probably be incredible. But hey, it could really suck. You never know.

Anyways, I don't claim to have the "final opinion" on this movie. I love watching movies and I respect people who appreciate movies regardless of other's opinions. I only intend to share my personal opinion and initial reaction of the movies I watch, nothing more.

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

I hate most superhero movies, they all follow the same generic plotline. Though I did like the first spiderman with Toby Maguire, and X-Men. I might see it, I dunno. It is about WW2 after all, and I love WW2. That's really the only reason I'd want to see it :P

This movie fucking sucked
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stickid
    As for the "leading the army" bit, I was exaggerating a little to make my point but I didn't notice any worthwhile suggestions he made to the General or anyone else. He saves the POW's and is suddenly thrust into a pivotal role in focusing the army. The film just goes into a montage of him and his new war buddies busting into Hydra bases (how do they know where these are?) and kicking ass. Other than that, there's no leadership or real sense of direction or experience (this has been his first few days in the army, period) that gains his role. Perhaps they cut out a few scenes where he becomes a leader gradually.
    Captain America is the best soldier in the world, he is the very definition of what all humans strive to be, and I think once he wanders behind enemy lines and saves all the POWs he proves that to everybody. When he's saving the POWs, he see's a map on the wall which he focuses on and then once he returns he tells them what he saw and he's asked if he can remember the locations of the points highlighted, which he does, that's how he knows where they are. As for him suddenly becoming a strong leader, I guess they don't explain it very well. In the comics though, he is known to be one of the best strategists in the entire world. You have to consider that Captain America is a character who has been developed over years and years of comic book writing, so it'd be impossible to fit everything about him into a single movie.

And the "futuristic technology", I wasn't referring to the believability (is that a word?) that such technology could exist in a comic book movie, I was speaking of the quality and quantity in such a short period of time. You see, they find the glowing blue rock, then plug it into the system, having no clue of it's properties, capabilities, or adaptability to their systems. Obviously, they coudn't have made all those weapons in a matter of days. So, they just had all those guns and tanks waiting around in case they found this blue thing? How would they design so much stuff having literally no idea how this blue thing works?

Red Skull had been searching for the power source for a very long time, and HYDRA already had some of the best technology available to them at the time, it was practically their job to make this stuff in the movie, so it's not a surprise they have some stockpiled equipment ready to be powered. Even if we say they didn't have this stuff ready, their operation seems large enough to be able to manufacture large quantities of weapons in a short period of time. Again, it's one of those things you can just chalk up to this being a comic book movie, he found the Cosmic Cube, it was compatible with what he wanted to do and was able to power his weapons. You're right, it seems a little unlikely, but if plots were based on things not happening then this would have been a very boring story wouldn't it?

As for "Captain A's character clashing", I meant that he goes completely contrary to his nature by invading bases. His defining characteristics in the first half of the movie are "never give up", "do what's right", "jump on a grenade to save my friends". Yet he leads all his men straight into enemy territory with seemingly no plan other than to smash in and kill the nazi's. Regardless of his physical appearance, he's a gentle guy by nature. He's not driven by hate, revenge, or power. Perhaps it's just the editing, but it seems like he's being the "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of guy during the montage.
    No, I think you're entirely wrong here. His 'never give up mentality' you refer to is him persistently trying to sign up I assume? Well you have to consider what he's constantly trying to sign up for: to join the army and to kill Nazi's. The Nazi's aren't his friends, they're doing what's wrong and he wants to stop them. And you can't separate the two halves of the movie like that, in the first half he doesn't have an objective, it's his origin but after he saves the POWs and gets information about HYDRA, he's trying to stop HYDRA. If he had walked into the camp and had been given a mission to go to the front lines and kill run-of-the-mill Nazi's, he would've done it. This doesn't clash with his gentle nature because this is war and Captain America will kill people to survive, he's not Superman, he doesn't have the privilege of having bullets bounce off him.

I can't explain further on the action other than to say it made no sense to me. It just seems like random clips of punching guys and destroying tanks. There was no plan, no structure, no sense at all. It felt like it could be a part of some long trailer for an action movie, nothing more. And the slow motion was pointless because it showed absolutely no extra detail. Usually you slow things down to get a better look at what's going on, but there was nothing going on; it would just slow at random moments, at least it seemed that way. If you watch any film with decent slow motion, they use it sparingly and for added effect. Captain America used it constantly during action scenes and at the wrong moments.
    Just because it made no sense to you doesn't mean it made no sense. I always knew why they were fighting and what they were fighting, therefore it had structure. Maybe you should go see it again and try to pay attention a little more. And slow motion is used for different things in movies, it can be used to highlight certain things or it can be used because it looks fucking awesome, take 300 for example.

And the ending
    [spoiler:1rk19mve]Captain saves the day then lands in the ice. He goes into some sort of coma and is left in the ice for 70 years. He is found and thawed out, they hope to slowly acclaim him to modern life but he discovers he's been asleep and is now in the modern day. He didn't age because of something to do with his cells and his super power or something. The energy cube has nothing to do with it, they find it but continue their search for Captain instead. Nobody finds him for 70 years etc etc.

The laser beams sounded exactly like Iron Man's jet booster things so I imagine they're somehow related but they didn't cover it in the movie whatsoever.[/spoiler:1rk19mve]
    [spoiler:1rk19mve]I understand Cap being frozen and thawed out by SHIELD, I meant more in regards to the Cosmic Cube and Red Skull. I think I understand it now I've looked into the Cosmic Cube a little more.[/spoiler:1rk19mve]

It wasn't good? It got some good scores on IMDB and I'm probably gonna go see it Monday.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

The previews makes it look all right. I was plaining to see it.
    [center:2rpd5r61][/center:2rpd5r61]

Banned

Same as Sniper and the previews were pretty decent so I think I might see it soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast