Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

First try at dubstep :O

I've been messing around with the FL Studio demo for a while now, but I finally decided to get the program and actually try and learn it. Here are the first few songs I made:

http://soundcloud.com/liamdunning/dubstep-chill

http://soundcloud.com/liamdunning/euphoria-edit

http://soundcloud.com/liamdunning/euphoria

Any critisism is appreciated!

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

Re: Trance

It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too good either.

Trance is focused around building up to a climax and breaking back down smoothly, so I'd work on your transitions a little more. The lack of smooth transitioning makes it sound somewhat rough.

For example, with the synth lead that begins at 0.14, you could actually have it begin at 0.6, and steadily rise in volume to give it a fuller, richer feel. You could also throw on an LFO, it's pretty standard in trance music. It's what gives an instrument that "underwater" sound.

If you can, look for a better drum kit. I liked the synth sounds, but the drums sounded kinda cheap and MIDIish. Maybe a little bit of reverb would make it sound better, but don't overdo it, otherwise it will sound very shitty and the tracks will overlap each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclon
    It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too good either.

Trance is focused around building up to a climax and breaking back down smoothly, so I'd work on your transitions a little more. The lack of smooth transitioning makes it sound somewhat rough.

For example, with the synth lead that begins at 0.14, you could actually have it begin at 0.6, and steadily rise in volume to give it a fuller, richer feel. You could also throw on an LFO, it's pretty standard in trance music. It's what gives an instrument that "underwater" sound.

If you can, look for a better drum kit. I liked the synth sounds, but the drums sounded kinda cheap and MIDIish. Maybe a little bit of reverb would make it sound better, but don't overdo it, otherwise it will sound very shitty and the tracks will overlap each other.
    I mostly agree, you are good, and there is always room for improvement. With the transitions and effects, it all comes with experience. There are a lot of resources online that you should look into. You obviously have a knack for this stuff. Keep it up, I'll follow your soundcloud account.

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

Now that I look back at my post, I realize that it was very harsh. :/ I'm sorry.

You have a very good ear for chord progressions and song structure. It just needs a bit more support, the foundation is clearly there. I will be following your music too, though I don't have a Soundcloud.

Thanks guys I'm trying my hardest to learn this stuff.

In the meantime, here's a first dubstep attempt.

Re: First try at dubstep :O

Quote Originally Posted by L i a m
    Thanks guys I'm trying my hardest to learn this stuff.

In the meantime, here's a first dubstep attempt.

Once again, the experience factor is in play. You got obvious talent just keep making more stuff. Also, if you want to sound dubsteppy then turn that bass up! Your transition lacks a hit. Buildup lacks a buildup. Keep making music

Thanks! I really didn't try much on the buildup or anything, I just really wanted to try a drop out :P but I'll keep your advice in mind for my next track!

Maybe you can convince Skype to teach you some tricks :P

Edit: I hope that doesn't come off as asshole-ish

Chief Turd

Quote Originally Posted by L i a m
    Thanks! I really didn't try much on the buildup or anything, I just really wanted to try a drop out :P but I'll keep your advice in mind for my next track!
    I think I already sent a pissload of criticism when you PM'd it to me lol, but I'll say that your drop wasn't nearly enough of a drop... if that makes sense. You need buildup to make your drop stand out. However, the drop doesn't make a track. Sure, if you make the drop good, then that's awesome, but the drop doesn't make a track. at least not in my opinion... it's all subject to opinion.

Thanks! I was going for a little more of a chill feel, and less on an intense drop, but I can see I didn't quite get the feel for a chill song, so that didn't work. I'll take that into consideration on my next song!

thankyou