Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Battle Royale

Battle Royale

[youtube:377s7dv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOCEF4n_zs[/youtube:377s7dv0]

Quentin Tarantino mentioned this as his favorite film since he started making films so I thought I'd watch it.

Just finished it. The movie is disturbing to say the least, the main idea is pretty twisted. It's about a large group of rebellious students forced onto an island to fight to the death. Last person standing gets to go home safe.

I can't really review this film like I can others, it's so different. There were a lot of moments that left me confused. Pieces of the movie felt missing and reasonable explanations seemed lost. I may have seen the version that they had edited for a more appropriate rating in Japan.

Anyways, the film sends very strong messages about education, government, survival, trust and love.
    Though these messages might not be apparent until the film is over because it's just so shockingly violent.

I'd say watch it if you're curious but don't expect a conventional or appropriate movie.

Re: Battle Royale

It's a good movie. If one can witsand the very theatrical acting style of the japanese, it's worth watching. The novel is also very popular. Some critics even said that The Hunger Game is a blatant rip off of Battle Royale.

Chief Turd

It's a good movie, yeah. A lot of moments were confusing or just downright disturbing, but overall I thought it was good. The sequel sucked though. It drags out for way too long and the plot is jumpier than a kid with ADHD who's just had a bowl of sugar.

Seen this movie long long ago, and it's probably the movie that actually made me give a fuck about good movies; I'd say between this, Dirty Harry, Silence of the Lambs, Green Mile, Forrest Gump and a couple other movies, anyways. But yeah, this movie is excellent. It has it's problems, but its generally great all around. I heard there was a manga for this, but I know or care little about that. What I've heard is

Manga>Book>Movie. However, if the movie's any interpretation then i'd love the book even more, because that's what happened with I Am Legend.
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad Shadson
    Seen this movie long long ago, and it's probably the movie that actually made me give a fuck about good movies; I'd say between this, Dirty Harry, Silence of the Lambs, Green Mile, Forrest Gump and a couple other movies, anyways. But yeah, this movie is excellent. It has it's problems, but its generally great all around. I heard there was a manga for this, but I know or care little about that. What I've heard is

Manga>Book>Movie. However, if the movie's any interpretation then i'd love the book even more, because that's what happened with I Am Legend.
    I actually beg to differ. The manga was terribly stupid. It's not only for the sake that the character design is laughable, but Tokyopop, who were in charged of the english translation, completely scrapped it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad Shadson

I actually beg to differ. The manga was terribly stupid. It's not only for the sake that the character design is laughable, but Tokyopop, who were in charged of the english translation, completely scrapped it up.
    To be fair that's all I heard, I don't read manga or enjoy it at all, but I just thought i'd share the consensus of what I've heard. Interesting to know that it's actually quite eh, though. I want to buy the book to find out if it stacks up to the movie, though. I hope it isn't as dodgy as the manga sounds to be.
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.