Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: The Artist

The Artist

[youtube:bsmpnduh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM[/youtube:bsmpnduh]

I've seen the reviews, I've read the consensus on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb.
    Just saw the movie. I have no clue why everybody loves it, I thought it was awful.

The Artist is a silent film supposedly about the decline of silent films and the evolution of entertainment. An interesting premise so I was excited to see this movie. I was really hoping for some character depth, iconic visuals and a story that's better seen than heard.

This film didn't deliver any of those things, the characters have literally no back story and are entirely too animated to be taken seriously, it looks and feels like a new film made to look like an old one in post production with filters and effects, and the story is so completely centered on one man's unfortunate circumstances I don't care to see OR hear it.

The guy in this movie is such a drama queen, he's capable of all the charm onscreen and he can't handle the reality of life off of it. So he loses his job and becomes depressed, I get it. I might appreciate a dark voyage into the complication of stardom and Hollywood but the movie just shows him moping around in shame. At least have the man in the movie be a MAN, he's so self-centered he really can't just swallow his pride and move on.

It would've been nice if he like, stood up for silent films, but it wasn't even about that. It was all about him crying for attention. I guess he wanted to make a statement about himself, that he could make silent movies without anyone else? What???

Another thing that bothers me is the flaunting of big-name actors who were barely in the film. John Goodman and Malcolm McDowell are hardly in the film at all but their names are plastered on every poster.
    "Oh look, John Goodman is in it, it MUST be a good movie" - Innocent Marketing Victim

I could keep going, this film was a huge disappointment for me and frankly the worst I've seen of 2012 so far.
    I've seen silent films, I would not recommend this one. Very shallow, unentertaining and overrated.

The only redeeming quality of this movie is the main actress, Missi Pyle. Most of the cast did an ok job (as good as can be expected for not vocalizing any lines) but she stood out as youthful and fun.

Have you seen/want to see it?

Re: The Artist

Ah le cinéma français, le meilleur de tout.

Didn't watch this movie yet. Kind of harsh to label it as the : worst movie I've seen in 2012, but opinions are opinions.

Re: The Artist

This might be the fourth movie I've seen of 2012 so the statement really doesn't carry much weight at all.
    If you end up enjoying it please share your thoughts, I haven't seen a convincing positive argument yet.