Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

tenksdnb - Mechanica

Time to get rid of those MLP-Circlejerks.

http://soundcloud.com/tenks/tenks-mechanica

Almost any other link in this thread is broken, so don't bother clicking them.

~
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Chief Turd

Re: tenksdnb - Pure Form

That was sick, good job. Although as you said, the drums do need some working on.

<3.

I'm working on the drums atm and I'm having a real hard time to squeeze them out.

The ideas for a great track are there, you just need to keep at it.

The intro was good, very engaging. The atmospherics were done nicely and the choice of samples were spot on. However, you need to focus more on drum loops. Just practice, open up some blank projects and make your own drum loops. Experiment with compression and EQing, as well as layering samples.

They also give a great foundation to build tracks on. Especially with neurofunk. An important part of neurofunk is organic sounding basslines. Thick and full. You want high/mid range frequencies on the harmonics of a bassline/sound. The low end should be a heavy sub or eq some bass into a synth or lead. Being able to work off of a already made drum loop lets you weave your patterns in and out of the kicks and snares. Almost like a sidechaining effect. It gives the track a funky rythm.

Layering samples is kinda important. There are low chances of finding a single snare sound that you like. What I do is I find a group of snares (usually 3-4, really just depends on how you want to make it sound) and EQ/chop bits out of them and stick them together with other snare samples to get the sound I want. If I have a sample with a nice punchy hit but no tail, I'll find another snare with a nice tail and EQ out around 200-300hz. This blends the snares. Then you can fiddle with volumes and compression to tighten up the mix.

The same applies to drums and hats. Stringing hats and shakers together to create a nice swingy rythm isn't all that hard. Play with rolling hats at a low volume and don't be afraid to slice up an existing drum loop to add percussion you like. Adding percussion hits in a loop can liven it up when in a track.

Here's an example of my kind of work process.
    http://soundcloud.com/syndicatednb/fuck ... ck/s-x6T6c

I start off layering up kicks, getting a tight short kick. Make sure the kick hits through at like 100-150hz. This contains more of the 'sound' of the kick drum rather than the sub bass part of it at under 100hz.

Then I get to work adding snares. For this short tinny snare I've layered multiple snare samples. One is a hefty, almost bassy snare, with all of its tail cut off. Then I EQ it to bring up the punch and get rid off all the high and low end. This with a clap (clap samples can make a big difference when making snares. Just don't add too much reverb or pick one with a long tail as it can make the snare sound out of sync) and a tin drum snare create a clear break for the high end of a track, helping push the sound of snares through gritty basslines.

For the percussion I usually start off with simple closed hats, with a lot of high end. Then an open hat in the background to stop dead noise in between the beats. After that I add more hats with less high end at off-beat times to create a 'shuffling' noise.

Adding ghost kicks or snares helps add to the pace of the drum loop and make it sound more full. Make sure to properly compress and EQ them so they don't push through the mix too much- adding a low or a high pass to it too can help it blend into the loop.

I organise my samples into groups in the mixer. Keeping drums, snares and percussion all routed to their own master mixer track. Then finally the individual master tracks get routed to a final "ALL DRUMS" master track. This enables you to quickly fine tune elements of your loop and can save you a lot of time. Also allows you to high/low pass and fade the entire drum loop by applying the effect to the master drum track. Useful for when you use a lot of samples in layering.

Always remember to compress your drum tracks, or at least the master one. Layering samples can get a little hectic and push the bar over 0db. Whack a compressor on to stick it at that level and you should be good to go. You can experiment with compression levels to get different sounds out of a single drum loop.

The version of Equilibrium you've heard has since been remastered, and whilst the drum loop is largely the same, it sounds totally different. Still hits hard, but in a different way. It's good fun- changing the entire feel of a track with a bit of compression.

Hope this helps. Perseverance is key with things like this.

This is definately helping, much love Skype.
    Still trying to get the hang of the whole drum layering, but i see what you mean.
    The only reason i actually posted this here, was to get some criticism, especially from you and you did not disappoint :3

Big ups man, big ups.

Oh, where do you actually get all your samples you're then slicing up into a drumloop?
    The only thing i can find are some pretty low quality wavs which are pretty much useless, no matter how long i try to compress and eq them :|

I am also using reason for my tracks, because i fucking love thor, but I'm having a real hard time to import wav samples into my project without having a complete mess, because reason lacks a function of importing/playing wav files directly in the project. I also tried building a loop in fl and then slice it up again in reason, which was a complete desaster.
    So I'm pretty much stuck on premade loops with some snarelayers over them and a whole FUCKING lot a eq and mastering work to make it sound 'alright'.
    Any piece of advise on that topic?

Chief Turd

Quote Originally Posted by tenks
    Oh, where do you actually get all your samples you're then slicing up into a drumloop?
    The only thing i can find are some pretty low quality wavs which are pretty much useless, no matter how long i try to compress and eq them :|
    Vengeance.

Seriously, Vengeance is incredible for drum samples, and there are tons of drum samples in each pack.

I liked it, keep up the good work.

Aye, i got The Vengeance Electrosamples all the time, but i never used them because i thought they would be only premade FX and synth and i prefer to make them from scratch. So i did my first layered drumloop lol aand added some bass to see if it fits

http://soundcloud.com/tenks/loop/s-dAH8n

That's much better. I can't really help you with reason because I don't use it. If there is a vst you like in reason you can actually use reason as a vst in fl studio, as well as the other way round. Failing that, make the bass in reason and bounce it to wav.

Nah, I'm getting the hang of sampling in reason, its a lot of work behind the back with the custom wiring and stuff, but once its set up, i can pretty much do anything i want.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast