Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Banned

The Thief and the Cobbler (30 years spent animating)

Has anyone seen this or heard of this movie?

[youtube:fe8sk9og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdJbo-4rg1k[/youtube:fe8sk9og]

[youtube:fe8sk9og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daBq278GJlc[/youtube:fe8sk9og]

This one's the work-print:
    [youtube:fe8sk9og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEvHB_b9-ts[/youtube:fe8sk9og]

It was an old film that Richard Williams, creator of the "Animator's Survival Kit" and director of animation for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

He spent 30 years animating this. 30 years. He created ground-breaking animation for this period in time as he started production of this in the 1960s. (I think he also had a few animators helping him out, although I'm not entirely sure.) The film was self funded.

Apparently, he didn't finish animating it in time so some companies took over and finished it for him. They took out a majority of the animation he poured his blood, sweat and tears into, and replaced it with singing (Yep, another generic musical), voice acting when the main characters weren't even meant to talk, and sub-par animation a team of animators made just to get it out the door and make money. In other words, they butchered the whole film. To add insult to injury it was also called an "Aladdin" rip off as it had been released at the same time, even though it started production 30 years before. Naturally, Williams doesn't want to talk about the film anymore.

However, this video here is part 9 of the 11 parts of the "recobbled" version a fan put together. This fan, Garrett Gilchrist, got in touch with old friends and members in the animation industry who knew Williams and got bootleg copies of the original animation. What he got was amazing, ground-breaking animation. You've got to remember that all of the insane attention to detail on the 3D was hand drawn, frame for frame. Garrett then put it together in high quality, and as the animation was only 85% complete he had to use the sub-par animation in parts for it to make sense as well as story-board. (The sub-par is noticeable when Tack (the main character with the Tack in his mouth) is fighting the bad guy hand to hand. This hadn't been animated by Williams. Only 85% complete as I said, but all the other parts with the machinery and 3D is Williams.)

I highly recommend watching this. It's some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen, given the fact that it's all hand drawn. As I have previously stated, he worked 30 years on this so it's definitely worth watching. I feel like I haven't explained enough so if you have free time I would recommend researching on this.

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler (30 years spent animating)

Holy shitt, this is amazing, it's so frantic and chaotic, and there's so much detail. This guy's a genius, to bad what happened to him :/ But seriously like you said he was well ahead of his time! And I really liked the chase scene, it was really smart and well made. And that battle part with the machinery setting itself off and causing chaos.. shiiit.
    I am truly amazed

This is ingenious, truly inspiring, I'll try to find every part of the thing, it's a shame that Disney (or whoever) violated it.
    I'm not sure though, why didn't Williams finish this?

Banned

Well, after it being self-funded for so long, he got a contract with Warner Bros. after they were impressed with his animating ability when directing the animation for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" He and the other members/friends who were helping him didn't meet their deadline (they only had 15 minutes of animation left to do though anyway...) so Warner Bros. being the fantastic people they are decided to seize the film from him, and get people in Korea and other countries to re-animate pretty much the whole movie save for a couple of scenes.

But yes, it truly is amazing. I'm glad to get it some publicity and it really is a shame this didn't get the treatment it so truly deserved. If you watch some scenes, such as the 3D animated parts that weren't completed you have proof that it was all in-fact hand drawn on paper. (Such as the window scene towards the end of the first part, and the machine later on in the film)

Quote Originally Posted by Jojishi
    Well, after it being self-funded for so long, he got a contract with Warner Bros. after they were impressed with his animating ability when directing the animation for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" He and the other members/friends who were helping him didn't meet their deadline (they only had 15 minutes of animation left to do though anyway...) so Warner Bros. being the fantastic people they are decided to seize the film from him, and get people in Korea and other countries to re-animate pretty much the whole movie save for a couple of scenes.

But yes, it truly is amazing. I'm glad to get it some publicity and it really is a shame this didn't get the treatment it so truly deserved. If you watch some scenes, such as the 3D animated parts that weren't completed you have proof that it was all in-fact hand drawn on paper. (Such as the window scene towards the end of the first part, and the machine later on in the film)
    Yes, I have been truly impressed by this movie, some scenes were just so fantastic, it kinda hurt watching, while realizing how much work had been put into this. As I didn't want to judge too early, I also decided to watch the Disney released version of the movie, and it honestly was so bad, I wasn't able to get past part one. The thief was thinking, the cobbler was talking. All the good I had to say about it, was that the cutting, kind of made the animation easier to follow, but I felt like cutting myself when the cobbler was talking and the whole perspective changed, but then again, I was also quite disappointed when the cobbler talked in the original.

Banned

I saw this on Cracked a while ago I think...it's truly awesome though how beautifully animated it is, especially for it's time which surpasses even animations of today.