Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    |||
    Old Newbie

Making your own electronic music (???)

Hi, firstly sorry if this is the wrong section! I had a look through some threads in this section (I have no life) and I saw a few people posting their own music and a lot of dubstep/dnb threads, which is cool.

Anyway I've been thinking about making my own music for ages, I'm kind of hesitant because I know how confusing these programs are (it took me literally years to learn how to use photoshop at all!), but I want to give it a go anyway.

So I have a couple of questions which would be really cool if you guys could help me with!

1. What program(s) do I need? I've heard of Fruity Loops and Native Massive (or something like that haha), basically I want to experiment with dubstep/dnb/house/moombahton I'm not really sure what I would like to make yet so if anyone could give me the low down!

2. Are samples and instrument sets and stuff important? I remember when I used to mess around with Photoshop everyone was obsessed with resources, is it the same with music?

Basically if anyone could point me in the right direction to get started and improve quickly that would be awesome! Thanks!
    im lawn feed

Re: Making your own electronic music (???)

Fruity Loops is a very popular program, and pretty recommendable. And yes, you kinda need some resources as it's pretty tough, especially for a beginner, to make sounds out of scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lympha
    Fruity Loops is a very popular program, and pretty recommendable. And yes, you kinda need some resources as it's pretty tough, especially for a beginner, to make sounds out of scratch.
    Do you post just for the fun of it?

There are many DAWs (digital audio workstation), and really you want to find one you like working in, even if you know nothing about it. FL studio (the "fruity loops" was abandoned a few versions ago :P) is a common one for windows users because it has a friendly interface. I'm pretty handy with it and it suits me fine. A lot of good producers use FL so if you see people bashing it just ignore them.

If you're more technical, cubase and reason are good. Reason is a right mindfuck but if you put the time into it, it's a good program.

Native instruments is the maker of Massive, a vst. Vsts are basically virtual instruments, or synthesisers. There are loads and loads of different vsts that can all produce different sounds and effects. All DAWs come with a standard set of them to allow you to make songs.

Resources play a large part; especially in the production of digital music like drum and bass or dubstep. FL studio comes with a collection of standard samples but they're not very good. Look at places like Loopmasters for sample packs.

http://forum.bandamp.com/Lessons/29664.html

Here's a basic tutorial on FL studio. You can grab a demo of it here; http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

I don't know how good the tutorial is but it should teach you the basic interface and that's all you need to know. From then on out it's try and try until it sounds good You'll pick up techniques. I'm completely self taught and I manage just fine.

Just put the time in. It would help if you learnt to play an instrument or knew something about music theory though.

|||
    Old Newbie

Great thanks for the detailed response Skype!

I know a tiny bit about music theory, is it really important? I don't play any instruments but I used to play the guitar and I could pick it up again I suppose. I'll probably start with FL studio then!
    im lawn feed

I only say so it makes it easier to write chords and stuff. The way FL studio lays it out is like a virtual keyboard.

|||
    Old Newbie

Cool so I had a look at that samples website, is it a good idea to just get one pack and mess around with it until I have a better idea of what I'm doing? Sorry for all the stupid questions
    im lawn feed

I think they allow you to download demos of the packs, that contain just a few of the samples. The full packs are quite expensive but if you find a decent priced one then yeah get it.