Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyrics

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Lyrics

As I've been wandering around this forum, I've noticed that quite a lot of you like music with no lyrics. Some of the favorite songs and albums people have posted haven't had any words in them and such. I quite simply don't understand. I've never been able to be truly inspired and feel something from a song that doesn't have any words in it. Sure, some things just sound cool, but you guys are alway talking about how much meaning you get out of these songs and just how great you think they are, whereas I consider lyrics to be a basic necessity. Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way? Also, for those of you who really do like music without lyrics, do you dislike lyrics? Do you mind their absence? Etc. I'm curious as to what all of you think about the topic since I personally think they're the most important part of a song.

Banned

Re: Lyrics

I can count myself as a Chillstep/Dubstep/Drum&Bass listener most of the time, and I do not mind the absence of lyrics.
    Actually it's a bit different, whenever I feel down and lack inspiration, I want to listen to songs with a strong message within their lyrics, like Jedi Mind Tricks, Wu-Tang Clan, Godspeed You! or any related artists, really.
    Yet, if I feel like listening to more instrumental/ambiental stuff just for relaxing, Chillout is my choice.
    Pretty much depends on my mood.

I find it difficult to appreciate modern music without lyrics. To me the lyrics are what give the song the most character, followed by the guitar and then other instruments for a generic song. I like short instrumentals in songs to add some change into it.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Enthusiast

Depending on my mood, I listen to both. I find that songs with lyrics have more meaning and an overall bigger impression on me; however, songs with no lyrics can have ambiguous interpretations and are more 'free', so to speak. In general though, I do prefer songs with lyrics - my favourite artist is Tupac, mainly due to his powerful and metaphorical lyrics. He was very poetic too.
    [center:nqgfv8bw][/center:nqgfv8bw]

[center:nqgfv8bw]Add me on Skype: Valium_DD[/center:nqgfv8bw]

There are TONS of Songs, heck, even Bands that do exceptional music without any spoken word whatsoever and I'm not talking about electronic music now.

GY!BE is an good example.

Or this:

[youtube:1dqgqzzv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34C41eEpM48[/youtube:1dqgqzzv]
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

^see? That's what I mean. That song sounded pretty cool but it felt like it was missing something essential, was very anticlimactic for me, and as such won't have the same effect on me as other music does.

Banned

I prefer music with lyrics. There is just something I can't reallly
    get into with songs without lyrics.

I've listened to a lot of both music with lyics and without, and at this particular moment I prefer no lyrics. Before I explain, please know that probably 90% of what I listen to HAS lyrics. Electronic or otherwise, the 10% is still enough to win me over I guess.

First off, I've always had a hard time understanding people's singing voices. It takes me some time to figure out what singers are saying so obviously I can find lyrics somewhat distracting. Also, music is one of those things I tend not to analyze as much as I like to just let the raw sound wash over me, and since the voice is often the most prominent part in a song I find it overpowering against the rest of the music. Finally I strongly believe that there are more ways to convey emotion that through words. If you can find the sounds that feel reminiscent regardless of spoken words then you've found something special.

My examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k5HSJQsjoc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYI6gkObExs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N7lhzXE5ts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWuR9GiwK1Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfhUfyzHyI

Quote Originally Posted by tenks
    There are TONS of Songs, heck, even Bands that do exceptional music without any spoken word whatsoever and I'm not talking about electronic music now.
    As a fan of video game OSTs I understand a sentiment like this too much. Music doesn't need to have words to have emotion or meaning or breadth/depth. That's why it's called MUSIC. At least 75% of my listening experience is hip-hop or rock (especially classic rock, prog rock etc), but some of the most brilliant things I've ever heard musically have no vocals whatsoever.
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

Mat
    Banned

I always have and always will prefer music with lyrics. I'll listen to music without them occasionally, but I'll never get that same feeling of connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast