Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Les Miserables

Les Miserables

I watched this film last week and it exceeded my expectations. The singing was surprisingly excellent and I was fine with how some of the songs were switched around in order to more easily convey what was happening. Emotions of characters were so strongly portrayed throughout the film, and everyone I went with was bawling at times.

What did you guys think of this movie?

If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors.

Re: Les Miserables

Film? I only know of the theater piece. Which is really good, seen it twice.
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm

Today someone told me a woman went to see this musical a more than 900 times in total.

I myself have never seen it though, I might read the book on a rainy day, but chances are slim.

I found the story itself quite good as well as the singing, but the film was really sloppily put together.

Tom Hooper did an absolutely piss poor job of filming the production. The camera angles were absolutely terrible due to the insane close ups of peoples faces right on the side of the screen. It gave me a headache and a stiff neck.

There were typically slanted camera angles (that is, everything appeared diagonally) when there were still scenes with no action. It is a major rule that you slant an angle to show action, not the opposite. Whenever there was action, a normal shot was used.

The length of the film went on a bit too long as well. I understand that it was a massive book, but there were some scenes that just weren't needed or could have been cut down a bit. The relationships were poorly established. Why did Cosette start liking one of the guys who started the revolution? This wasn't explained enough.

I'm so glad Tom Hooper wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year. I can't believe people are even going as far to call it a snub. If anyone is being snubbed, it's Christopher Nolan. It's no surprize that Stephen Spielberg has been nominated for an Oscar. Anything with his name plastered on it is an automatic shoe in, just like the Call of Duty series is certain to make shit tonnes of money just because it's Call of Duty. The Oscars are crappy anyway. I don't know why I even brought this up.

Oh well, it Les Miserables was a good movie to an extent. The singing was good and the general story itself was pretty awesome, depressing though. It's definitely not for everyone since the entire film is constant singing. There is not a single line of normal talk, except for maybe one or two words. It was an interesting concept to explore and I applaud them for pulling it off, but it just got ridiculous at times. Well, it's an okay movie and I can see why fans of the novel or theatre productions would enjoy it so much, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I was dragged in to see it though. So glad I got to see The Hobbit and Life of Pi afterwards.

THANKS TO SIMBA FOR BUYING ME VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    Film? I only know of the theater piece. Which is really good, seen it twice.
    It came out on Christmas, and I think it does the theater version justice. Obviously the singing isn't on par with Broadway but it's still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    I found the story itself quite good as well as the singing, but the film was really sloppily put together.

Tom Hooper did an absolutely piss poor job of filming the production. The camera angles were absolutely terrible due to the insane close ups of peoples faces right on the side of the screen. It gave me a headache and a stiff neck.

There were typically slanted camera angles (that is, everything appeared diagonally) when there were still scenes with no action. It is a major rule that you slant an angle to show action, not the opposite. Whenever there was action, a normal shot was used.

The length of the film went on a bit too long as well. I understand that it was a massive book, but there were some scenes that just weren't needed or could have been cut down a bit. The relationships were poorly established. Why did Cosette start liking one of the guys who started the revolution? This wasn't explained enough.

I'm so glad Tom Hooper wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year. I can't believe people are even going as far to call it a snub. If anyone is being snubbed, it's Christopher Nolan. It's no surprize that Stephen Spielberg has been nominated for an Oscar. Anything with his name plastered on it is an automatic shoe in, just like the Call of Duty series is certain to make shit tonnes of money just because it's Call of Duty. The Oscars are crappy anyway. I don't know why I even brought this up.

Oh well, it Les Miserables was a good movie to an extent. The singing was good and the general story itself was pretty awesome, depressing though. It's definitely not for everyone since the entire film is constant singing. There is not a single line of normal talk, except for maybe one or two words. It was an interesting concept to explore and I applaud them for pulling it off, but it just got ridiculous at times. Well, it's an okay movie and I can see why fans of the novel or theatre productions would enjoy it so much, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I was dragged in to see it though. So glad I got to see The Hobbit and Life of Pi afterwards.
    Have you scene the actual theater production? It's also very long (around 3 hours if I recall correctly), and some major plot points happen quite abruptly. The "love at first sight" thing between Marius and Cosette was pretty much on par with the original play as was how quickly Fantine's life falls apart. Personally, I didn't have any problems with the filming and thought that the way they choose to shoot the opening scene was fantastic.

On an unrelated note, I thought that it was pretty cool they decided the original Jean Valjean as the cardinal.

If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors.

We had to read this book in school, but I doubt I will watch the movie.
    [center:2rpd5r61][/center:2rpd5r61]