Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Donnie Darko (SPOILERS)

Yes I know there was another thread about it, but it got locked, and I wish to discuss it, hence my need for a new one.

So, yeah, Im late in watching this movie, I know. But Ive just seen it and I love it to peices. Yet, the ending is quite mysterious, and thus I wish to discuss its meaning with you. My take on it is:

As you see the storm beginning to rage over the village, you can see Donnie on his regular spot (where he also is at the beginning of the movie) ontop of the car, with his dead girlfriend. I guess, that Frank was an older version of him that went back in time with a portal somehow and warned him all crypticly. Now because our version of Donnie is sitting in that car, and not going back in time, a later version of Donnie, in another Tangent universe, does not get warned. Thus we see Tangeruniverse-Donnie get squashed by the jet engine, and then his would-be girlfriend's new cycle of life in the village starting without Donnie in it (her seeing the home wreckage etc). What her waving to the mother of Donnie was supposed to say is unsure to me, its probably nothing. But for a second it made me think Donnies mom was secretly also her mom, which was backed up by the fact that would-be girlfriend got all freaked and told Donnie her mom was gone, right when Donnies mother was also gone, with the girls to that dancing contest. But thats probably bullshit.

Anyways, if I missed something in the movie or made some mistake, feel free to point it out. Be a dick about it and face my wrath. So discuss =D (sorry about that little wall of text)

Enthusiast

Its a decent theory actually. Its got alot of symbolic meaning. Its not how it seems. Its more like a love untold and being ripped apart but undesired fate. Its really confusion. The writers are completely great yet out of their minds.

MG
    Enthusiast
    I don't thing Frank was on older vesion of Donny- don't know where you got that, frankly (I made a funny!) Frank was one of the "manipulated dead- someone who died in the tangent universe. Frank lured Donny out of bed on the night the jet engine came down, thus changing the way it was supposed to happen, creating the tangent universe.
    Lost yet?
    As the movie explains, tangent universes are not stable, which is why the world was going to end in 28 days, etc, so Donny, as the reciever, has to use his powers to take everyone back to the moment the tangent universe was created and put everything back on the right path.
    Still with me?
    Once Donny is killed, everything is on the right path again, and so all the people who died in the tangent universe stay alive. In my opinion, the waving is just showing that they went back in time and that they don't know each other or anything that happened in the tangent universe.
    I've only seen the movie once, but that's my interpretation.

Enthusiast

Everyone liked this movie but I didn't. I dunno. Just didn't feel it.
    With Awesomeness,
    Spiff
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    [center:1xxnvxdw]PIXELSAUR | Dance, trance, 8-bit, more?
    [/center:1xxnvxdw]

Quote Originally Posted by MG
    I don't thing Frank was on older vesion of Donny- don't know where you got that, frankly (I made a funny!) Frank was one of the "manipulated dead- someone who died in the tangent universe. Frank lured Donny out of bed on the night the jet engine came down, thus changing the way it was supposed to happen, creating the tangent universe.
    Lost yet?
    As the movie explains, tangent universes are not stable, which is why the world was going to end in 28 days, etc, so Donny, as the reciever, has to use his powers to take everyone back to the moment the tangent universe was created and put everything back on the right path.
    Still with me?
    Once Donny is killed, everything is on the right path again, and so all the people who died in the tangent universe stay alive. In my opinion, the waving is just showing that they went back in time and that they don't know each other or anything that happened in the tangent universe.
    I've only seen the movie once, but that's my interpretation.
    MG, you hit the nail right on the head here. After going to the website where I got the chance to peacefully read the book Donnie finds as well, Ive found out pretty much anything. Frank is killed by Donnie after he runs over Gretchen, and becomes a manipulated dead. Donnie is able to see him because of his 4rth dimentional powers because he's the living reciever. Donnies entire job as the living reciever is to get the artifact from the Tangent Universe back to the main universe. The artifiact is, in this case, the jet engine that crashes so peacefully into his face at the end. And indeed, because the manipuladed dead, Frank, got Donnie (I keep wanting to write Johnny, as in JTHM) out of bed he created a tangent universe, putting Donnie in the position of living reciever. The events we see at the end of the movie, dead Donnie, Gretchen not knowing him, etc, is all that happens in the original universe, without Franks interferance.

MG
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Lee 3zz
    MG, you hit the nail right on the head here. After going to the website where I got the chance to peacefully read the book Donnie finds as well, Ive found out pretty much anything. Frank is killed by Donnie after he runs over Gretchen, and becomes a manipulated dead. Donnie is able to see him because of his 4rth dimentional powers because he's the living reciever. Donnies entire job as the living reciever is to get the artifact from the Tangent Universe back to the main universe. The artifiact is, in this case, the jet engine that crashes so peacefully into his face at the end. And indeed, because the manipuladed dead, Frank, got Donnie (I keep wanting to write Johnny, as in JTHM) out of bed he created a tangent universe, putting Donnie in the position of living reciever. The events we see at the end of the movie, dead Donnie, Gretchen not knowing him, etc, is all that happens in the original universe, without Franks interferance.
    Thanks- my friend and I spent a couple hours discussing it after we watched the movie, so there's some hard work in that interpretation =P

KB2
    somewhere thinking about how to kill you . Hawtness: Extreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Its a decent theory actually. Its got alot of symbolic meaning. Its not how it seems. Its more like a love untold and being ripped apart but undesired fate. Its really confusion. The writers are completely great yet out of their minds.
    i agree with bandito,
    im sure theres something deep with thought in the movie but I just didn't get it.
    the ending still mystifies me the most
    My Animations - Courtesy ? or die..

Baha: you live to spam actually. I live to tell you to stfu. XD
    What ever you do, don't click here