Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Problem

Enthusiast

Problem

I tried to open stykz today and a dialogue box showed up telling me to say what I was doing before window popped up. And the little loading picture said I had the Mac OS X version, and I don't. I checked the file I downloaded. Then, when I uninstalled stykz and now it won't let me reinstall because it can't write over a file called "DeleteFile Failed; code 5". HELP
    [center:3os0a0g2]KATY PERRY DRESSES LIKE A FREAKING CLOWN. [/center:3os0a0g2]

Re: Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey.
    I tried to open stykz today and a dialogue box showed up telling me to say what I was doing before window popped up. And the little loading picture said I had the Mac OS X version, and I don't. I checked the file I downloaded. Then, when I uninstalled stykz and now it won't let me reinstall because it can't write over a file called "DeleteFile Failed; code 5". HELP
    Wow... never saw that one before! Was it working before today, or was this the first time you installed it? And I'm not sure what you mean by "a dialogue box showed up telling me to say what I was doing before window popped up"... can you clarify?

Enthusiast

No I've had sticks for about a week and it was working fine until now. And the dialogue box said "an error has occurred, please tell what you were doing before this window opened." And it had a little place to type an explanation.
    [center:3os0a0g2]KATY PERRY DRESSES LIKE A FREAKING CLOWN. [/center:3os0a0g2]

That box appears for me a lot, but it usually doesn't close the program so I don't think it's really something to worry about. But the second part, I've got nothing for ya, sorry and good luck
    [center:37o99slc]Click the sig for my Stykz thread

Thanks to Heather for the sig[/center:37o99slc]

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey.
    No I've had sticks for about a week and it was working fine until now. And the dialogue box said "an error has occurred, please tell what you were doing before this window opened." And it had a little place to type an explanation.
    Ah, ok, that's the Stykz error dialog. As far as the "DeleteFile Failed" error, it sounds like the Stykz installer is running into a permissions issue or something like that. You can do a manual uninstall by doing the following:

1. Check to see if you have a "Stykz For Windows" folder on the desktop. If you do, throw it away.

[/*:m:1e9w5zx6]
    2. Check to see if you have a "Stykz" folder in your Program Files folder. If so, throw it away.

3. Pop up the Start menu and see if you have a "Stykz" group (folder) listed there - if so, right click on it and choose "Delete" to get rid of it.

4. If you have Windows XP, check to see if you have the Stykz preferences folder at: C:\Documents and Settings\yourUserName\Application Data\Stykz; if you're on Win Vista or Win 7, see if you have a folder at C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Stykz. If so, go to that folder, and inside that folder there's a Library folder. Inside *that* folder is a folder called "Figures". Move that out onto your desktop somewhere (what's in there is what shows up in the Library palette), and then you can delete the Stykz preferences folder.

5. If you're comfortable with editing the Registry, open RegEdit, look under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, locate the following subkeys and delete them (if you're not comfortable, then don't bother since they shouldn't affect the error you're getting):

[list:1e9w5zx6]
    6. - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.stykz[/*:m:1e9w5zx6]
    7. - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stykz.DocFile[/*:m:1e9w5zx6]
    8. - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.styk[/*:m:1e9w5zx6]
    9. - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stykz.FigureFile[/*:m:1e9w5zx6]
    [/*:m:1e9w5zx6][/list:1e9w5zx6]

Finally, empty the recycle bin, restart your computer (just to be on the safe side), download the installer and re-run it, and let me know how it goes.