Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Mac users - Problem exporting to Animated GIF fixed

For those using Macs with Stykz, I just fixed a problem that The Styk pointed out to me - that if you export to animated GIF, you only get one frame instead of all the frames.

A replacement build of Stykz that fixes this problem is available to download at the Stykz web site (see my sig); DL it and overwrite the one you have and your problem should go away.

Just FYI...

Re: Mac users - Problem exporting to Animated GIF fixed

i have a mac and the latest version of stykz and it still doesn't work!

[spoiler:n0wbhfsc][/spoiler:n0wbhfsc]

Ward for Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    i have a mac and the latest version of stykz and it still doesn't work!
    Did you actually download another build from the Stykz web site? The version number has not been changed yet, so don't go by that to determine if you have the latest version.

If you DL a new one from the Stykz web site and it still doesn't work, let me know.

yeh,i actually downloaded it. sorry, it still doesn't work . I have the latest version of stykz (1.2) and gif's still don't work! its nice to know someone is trying to fix it though!

Ward for Administrator

yeh,i actually downloaded it. sorry, it still doesn't work . I have the latest version of stykz (1.2) and gif's still don't work! its nice to know someone is trying to fix it though!
    What do you get when you try? Do you get only the first frame as a GIF, or do you get some other result?

i only get the first frame of my animation.

Ward for Administrator

i only get the first frame of my animation.
    Thought so... the problem is that the command line app Gifsicle, which is used by Srykz to create the GIFs, does not have it's "executable" bit set properly. Assuming you are running MacOS 10.6.x and installed the Stykz app in the Applications folder, you can do this:

1. Launch Terminal (it's located in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder).

[/*:m:2c0br0fq]
    2. At the command prompt, type this exactly (or you can copy and paste it into Terminal, but be really careful to get just the text of the command below)

Code:
       sudo chmod 777 /Applications/Stykz.app/Contents/Local\ Components/Support/MacOS/10.6/gifsicle
    3. After you type the command above, hit the Return/Enter key to execute it.

4. You'll be prompted for a password to your Mac; type it (it will look like nothing's happening in the Terminal as you type, but that's OK) and hit the Return/Enter key[/*:m:2c0br0fq]

That should fix it. If you're running 10.5.x and not 10.6.x just substitute "10.5" for "10.6" in the command line above.

If that doesn't work, or you have Stykz installed somewhere other than your Applications folder, let me know.

i have seemingly tried everything but i cant get gif's to work. it's not much of a problem for me as i have recently set up a youtube account but still, it would be nice...

Ward for Administrator

i have seemingly tried everything but i cant get gif's to work. it's not much of a problem for me as i have recently set up a youtube account but still, it would be nice...
    I'm wondering if it's something with the document itself... did you try to create a new dummy animation with a couple of frames and export those?

If that doesn't work, can you tell me what OS version you're running? And when you did the Terminal thing, did you get any errors back in the Terminal window?

yes, No such file or directory

I am running a Mac OS X 1.8 GHz PowerPc G5 with 3 GB DDR SDRAM and Leopard Drive.
    terminal came up with a few errors along the lines of 'command invalid' when i pasted it but when i wrote it out myself it was fine, it just didn't do anything. i have tried substituting 10.5/6 for 10.8/X/1.8 but that still didn't work. i have tried making a dummy animation but it still didn't work. unless i open up the gif with something like safari it comes up with coding so you could probably work out what was wrong with it from that. would you like me to send you the coding i get along with the gif?

Ward for Administrator