Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stykz: Rumors and Reignition!

Hello everyone... it's been a while! As most of you are already aware, we are coming close to the anniversary of the release of 1.0, and the last version of Stykz (1.0.2) was released back in January of this year. I haven't been able to spend too much time on Stykz or the forums over the last several months, and that has caused some speculation on why that's been the case. I apologize in advance for the long post - but I have a lot to get through, so please bear with me...

RUMORS
    First off, I wanted to comment on a few rumors before I talk about the future of Stykz (don't worry, it's all good!)...

• RUMOR: "Stykz is no longer being developed."

• FACT: This is completely incorrect; while it's true that development on Stykz has slowed down significantly, I have put several man-weeks of effort towards Stykz 1.5 since January of this year. The primary reason for the slowdown was purely an economic one - you may not know this, but I have three teenage children, one of whom started college this semester. With the economic downturn and upcoming college tuition costs, I needed to spend the lion's share of my time doing work for others to make money to pay the bills and keep things going. Stykz is a passion of mine, but not something I make money on, so I was unable to give it as much attention as I wanted to.

• RUMOR: "Stykzman never visits the forums anymore."

• FACT: That's not entirely true either; I have had to reduce my involvement with the Stykz forums for the reasons I outlined above, and I've only been able to check in once or twice a week, and most of the time I find that the questions that were asked have already been answered. Where this rumor IS true is where it applies to *this* forum... I haven't posted here in a long time, mainly because I wanted to use the limited time that I had in support of the Stykz forum.

REIGNITION!
    Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I want to talk about the future of Stykz from this point forward. I now have some more time to devote to Stykz, and so I want to reignite the development engine and get Stykz moving again!

So here's what I'm planning on doing:

1. I will be much more active on the Stykz forums than I have been, and will participate and be more active on the Droidz and DarkDemon forums.

[/*:m:1b4hqr38]
    2. I will finish changes to 1.5, with a target of a first beta test of this around the first week of December, with a hopeful release of Christmas Day. In order to get this done, the feature set of 1.5 will be less than what I proposed on The List, with a primary focus on stability, performance, and file size. The features/changes that are planned for this version (at a minimum) are:

[list:1b4hqr38]
    3. "Corruption Insurance" - Those of you that have hit the "This is not a Stykz document" dialog know that corruption sometimes occcurs with Stykz documents. In the past, I recommended turning on auto backup as a preventive measure, but 1.5 will have an option that is turned on by default, which is saving a text-based version of a Stykz document along with the main document. This way, if the main document ever corrupts, the text-based version can be used to recreate a copy of the document from scratch.

4. Unlimited Segments in a Figure - If anyone has hit the "too many generations" dialog, this will disappear due to a different method of managing segments and nodes under the hood.

5. Better Performance/Smaller File Size - This is obtained by reducing the number of objects that Stykz has to manage under the hood. In Stykz 1.0, support for having nodes both in front of all segments and interleaved with the segments meant maintaining two sets of nodes (one set hidden while the other was being shown), and the nodes that were interleaved with the segments were actually part of the figure object. In Stykz 1.5, I will only be managing one set of nodes, and that's the ones in front. This means that the ability to show nodes interleaved with the segments will no longer be available. (If this really is a problem for you, please let me know.)

6. Image Support - This will manifest itself as both sprites and images for backgrounds. Note that if you include images in your animation, it will affect the color output for GIF animations (since GIFs only support 255 colors).

7. Frame Palette Enhancements - The ability to insert a blank frame, and to select and delete multiple frames will be added.

8. Transparency/Opacity - You will have the ability to specify a separate transparency value for segments or whole figures. (NOTE: I don't know what that's going to do to GIF output, but it will be in the program regardless.)

That's the minimum that will be in 1.5 - if I can add more in before the first beta test, I will. Also, if there is something mission critical that I missed above, please let me know. (I really wanted to get "single window mode" into 1.5, but I'm afraid that if I add that to the list, we won't see anything until February!)

[/*:m:1b4hqr38][*]I will post my progress on an (approximately) weekly basis to my Twitter account (@Stykzman).[/*:m:1b4hqr38][/list:1b4hqr38]

I'm VERY interested in your feedback on the above... so what do you think?

Zax

Re: Stykz: Rumors and Reignition!

Hey, stykzman. I've recently gone back to pivot, Stykz seemed to be dying out because you were no longer here. And I was thinking about transparency yesterday. I think that would be very useful in animations! I just might get back into Stykz, and I would REALLY love a one-window interface. Keep up the great work!

[spoiler:10747g5n]I really wish DarkDemon would give a Stykz little more thought, and maybe expand it somewhat.[/spoiler:10747g5n]
    I'm Back

the styk, arent oyu on stykzforum? there you should have seen that stykzman did work on stykz and that he had to spend more time on his life the last time as on stykz

Zax

Quote Originally Posted by Wind3H
    the styk, arent oyu on stykzforum? there you should have seen that stykzman did work on stykz and that he had to spend more time on his life the last time as on stykz
    Well, I stopped animating for a while, I had other things going on so I couldn't browse the forums. But I went back to DD first, that's all. I'm going to update Stykz and play around with it.

I feel like a traitor...
    I'm Back

Quote Originally Posted by Styk
    Hey, stykzman. I've recently gone back to pivot, Stykz seemed to be dying out because you were no longer here. And I was thinking about transparency yesterday. I think that would be very useful in animations! I just might get back into Stykz, and I would REALLY love a one-window interface. Keep up the great work!

[spoiler:megupsks]I really wish DarkDemon would give a Stykz little more thought, and maybe expand it somewhat.[/spoiler:megupsks]
    Thanks, Styk... I'll work that interface in as soon as I can...

Banned

I thought about a Stykz Rank System here in Darkdemon..
    Like promoting the program a bit, as hardly anyone animates with it.

Zax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bombastic
    I thought about a Stykz Rank System here in Darkdemon..
    Like promoting the program a bit, as hardly anyone animates with it.
    That's what I was trying to say.
    I'm Back

Yeah, some ranks here would be cool. G'luck stykzman!

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb
    Yeah, some ranks here would be cool. G'luck stykzman!
    Thanks! What would need to be done to get a ranking system put into place? Is there anything I'd need to do or anyone to notify about this, or can I just start a topic and get the discussion going?

jsut start a topic,weeeeeh

all you need is some people who rank the animations from the user

i always liked that there arent ranks on stykzforum,just felt free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast