Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ranking Stykz Animations

Although it may take a while to happen, I thought it would be good to talk about how to rank Stykz anims and what the ranks might be. There's a long-standing set of rankings for Pivot, but since Stykz is a different beast I'm sure there are certain things about animations made in Stykz that should be looked at differently.

For example doing a fullbody in Pivot vs. doing one in Stykz is like night and day, but things like easing are probably at about the same level of effort in both programs.

Opinions?

Zax

Re: Ranking Stykz Animations

That's a great idea. Stykz is quite different than pivot, so the ranks should be different. If you guys do come up with a rank system, I can't wait to see it! The ranks I think would inspire a lot more people to get into Stykz. That's part of the reason I stopped animating with it. That feeling of earning a rank up by improving your animations was lost. There was nothing to work towards. I'd LOVE a ranking system. I just don't know if DD is ready to let Stykz take over yet. So many people that are used to pivot. But I hope this works. I'm excited!
    I'm Back

Now that I gave it a second thought I don't really think you should add ranks. Or make it only for those who really want it, and if everybody appears to like it make it grand. That's how I would do it.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

We can still base our ranks on Detail(full body,background). There's still a lot of work that goes into that b/c with full bodies in stykz, we can't just base full body on: Oh different color segments, blah. More or less what makes up the fully body. Take Wind3h's stuff with her current project in stykz, the full body is very fluent in 3d. So with that the maneuverability of the full body in 3d and what not should be taken into consideration.

Indeed how much flow and easing is key factor in ranking. So really you can still adopt the same pivot standards into stykz ranking. Even though things may be easier in Stykz in doing, doesn't mean people will be able to have considerable amount of good animation since ranking of animation is 80% based on the animation and 20% of background/art/. Art of the background wont' be the solid factor of the animation since in a lot of cases people won't use backgrounds but backgrounds only give a nudge in the ranking.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Zax

I just had an idea. Why not make the pivot ranks also open to stykz users posting in them?
    I'm Back

Quote Originally Posted by Styk
    I just had an idea. Why not make the pivot ranks also open to stykz users posting in them?
    No fair match, I'm an easy veteran if I actually try on a stykz animation, in pivot I'm far from that.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Zax

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb
    No fair match, I'm an easy veteran if I actually try on a stykz animation, in pivot I'm far from that.
    good point.
    I'm Back

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    We can still base our ranks on Detail(full body,background). There's still a lot of work that goes into that b/c with full bodies in stykz, we can't just base full body on: Oh different color segments, blah. More or less what makes up the fully body. Take Wind3h's stuff with her current project in stykz, the full body is very fluent in 3d. So with that the maneuverability of the full body in 3d and what not should be taken into consideration.

Indeed how much flow and easing is key factor in ranking. So really you can still adopt the same pivot standards into stykz ranking. Even though things may be easier in Stykz in doing, doesn't mean people will be able to have considerable amount of good animation since ranking of animation is 80% based on the animation and 20% of background/art/. Art of the background wont' be the solid factor of the animation since in a lot of cases people won't use backgrounds but backgrounds only give a nudge in the ranking.
    I'm of two minds about this:

On the one hand, Stykz and Pivot are tools, so just because one tool makes an aspect of expressing creativity faster/easier than another, does that remove or reduce the creativity from the equation?

For example (and this is dating me), I remember way back when the original Apple Laserwriter came out; until that day, people were using dot-matrix or daisy-wheel printers to get their output, and it was all pretty bland. In came the Laserwriter with a dozen different fonts, and made it really easy to get good looking output. But 95% of the crap that churned out of the printer looked like ransom notes: multiple conflicting styles/formats, etc. So just because the tool made it easier/simpler to produce a beautiful printed page didn't remove the fact that you needed to have an eye for typesetting in order to make something beautiful happen.

On the other hand, I also remember when anti-aliasing was just starting to come out. Prior to that, if someone wanted to composite two images on top of each other they had to anti-alias the edges manually - which took a boatload of time. Then in came artistic programs like Photoshop that made the process brain dead simple.

So IMHO there are a couple of questions that come to mind:
    1. Imagine you had two creative people who were clones of each other; both of them set out to create a very creative, artistic piece. One took 4 hours and the other took 8, but the end product of both was exactly the same. Would you give the person who had to take longer a better rank?

[/*:m:1786gojn]
    2. If you took those same two people and instead of the first one stopping at 4 hours they spent the next 4 hours embellishing the work so that when the 8 hours were up the first person's artwork was "better" than the other person's, would you rank the one that was "worst" down?[/*:m:1786gojn]

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb
    the only difference is that you dont have to edit 10 hours for a 3d move with a fullboy.... it takes you the same skill level,but more patience...thats all...

the big misunderstanding is that everyone thinks,he could do an awesome animation in stykz,just because its stykz and not because the skill-and that he doesnt have to do much for it... but thats just wrong...

i hope there arent ranks in the future...i see much opinion fights coming..

Imagine you had two creative people who were clones of each other; both of them set out to create a very creative, artistic piece. One took 4 hours and the other took 8, but the end product of both was exactly the same. Would you give the person who had to take longer a better rank?

If you took those same two people and instead of the first one stopping at 4 hours they spent the next 4 hours embellishing the work so that when the 8 hours were up the first person's artwork was "better" than the other person's, would you rank the one that was "worst" down?
    exactlz this...

Imagine you had two creative people who were clones of each other; both of them set out to create a very creative, artistic piece. One took 4 hours and the other took 8, but the end product of both was exactly the same. Would you give the person who had to take longer a better rank?
    Time isn't the factor in ranking, only how it looks. Really pivot and stykz are the same in many ways. granted stykz is really all in one window in terms of creating stick figures, many top animators in DD use transparent programs to help animated blood/fire/water/etc. so that's how compromise comes in the nature since transparency programs aid in the whole creating the next stage of the blood without cluttering up and using all space allocated in the pivot stick queue.

If you took those same two people and instead of the first one stopping at 4 hours they spent the next 4 hours embellishing the work so that when the 8 hours were up the first person's artwork was "better" than the other person's, would you rank the one that was "worst" down?
    Now this ties in the whole transparency program and stykz stick builder in one window. that means one has superior knowledge in animation and can simply match up to the same perameters a stykz user has and thus the stykz user who at first glance has the ability to create a continuous flow of sticks on the stage and can probably produce quality sticks. it's all about how you move them in the animation.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast