Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web Design - 6/13/12

I recently decided that I'm going to major in Web Programming so I figured it'd be a good idea to start getting back into the whole Web Design/Programming thing ahead of time.

This is my first project. I thought it'd be a good idea to show you my progress through this template so I'll be posting updates on it frequently. It's been a long time since I designed a template so critique the shit out of it Suggestions would be great too. I know there's not much to comment on now ("Hot Submissions" box is not close to being finished), so mainly just look at the color scheme and header. I plan on adding a user login on the right side of the header to put something in that empty space. Oh, and the final design will be much longer vertically, just cropped it out to save space. What I got done tonight:
    http://i.imgur.com/WvxY1.png

Latest Update:
    [tn=700:gk308dwz]http://i.imgur.com/Yz8v8.png[/tn:gk308dwz]
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

Re: Web Design

It looks pretty neat so far, can you show us the coding as well?
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Cavolia
    It looks pretty neat so far, can you show us the coding as well?
    Thanks for the comment. I haven't gotten to the coding yet, still just designing the template in Photoshop.

Update: Got a decent amount done today. I don't take credit for any of those four images I used to fill the "Front Page" section, just chose them to fill in the empty space. Let me know what you guys think.

[tn=700:g4mo4v8m]http://i.imgur.com/ud2Af.png[/tn:g4mo4v8m]

Colour schemes great, but I'd make the text on the buttons white, else on monitors with lower brightness you wouldn't be able to read them, the thumbnail images look great.

Your approach to the plan is a little head-first. A good design starts at a more basic stage. If you plan things right from the start rather than opening up photoshop and 'doing it' you will end up with a more refined product. The more detail you put into a plan the easier it is to achieve a webdesign that is exactly how you imagined it at first.

Sketch out basic layouts and the locations of elements (nav, header, content, etc) and build from there. Picking a colour scheme, where to use what colours and whatever.

Your progress is nice though. I love designs with orange used correctly and you're on the way there. I think the borders around the input boxes for the login and search are a bit too in your face. I'd say 2px or remove them. The text in the content boxes is too big too, really. Pick a nicer font, scrap the bold and lower the font size a bit. Same for the buttons.

The edge borders of the content box are way too thick too. It might look nice at a lighter colour, a bit lighter than the background or something like that. Either reduce it or scrap it.

Oh and the shine effect at the bottom of the images in the orange box would look nice at the bottom of the black header too. Would bring it out more; and you could make it stand out even more with a simple 1px drop shadow underneath.

And finally the "front page" text + effect is horrible and you should delete it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Your approach to the plan is a little head-first. A good design starts at a more basic stage. If you plan things right from the start rather than opening up photoshop and 'doing it' you will end up with a more refined product. The more detail you put into a plan the easier it is to achieve a webdesign that is exactly how you imagined it at first.

Sketch out basic layouts and the locations of elements (nav, header, content, etc) and build from there. Picking a colour scheme, where to use what colours and whatever.

Your progress is nice though. I love designs with orange used correctly and you're on the way there. I think the borders around the input boxes for the login and search are a bit too in your face. I'd say 2px or remove them. The text in the content boxes is too big too, really. Pick a nicer font, scrap the bold and lower the font size a bit. Same for the buttons.

The edge borders of the content box are way too thick too. It might look nice at a lighter colour, a bit lighter than the background or something like that. Either reduce it or scrap it.

Oh and the shine effect at the bottom of the images in the orange box would look nice at the bottom of the black header too. Would bring it out more; and you could make it stand out even more with a simple 1px drop shadow underneath.

And finally the "front page" text + effect is horrible and you should delete it :P
    Thank you, finally some good criticism

I do usually plan first. This template is just being created to get used to Photoshop and the whole web design approach. If you could clear a few things up for me that'd be great. What content box are you talking about where you said scrap the bold and lower the font size. I'm not sure if it's just my monitor, but all of the text around isn't too big. The font size on the buttons is 14, I think anything smaller would be too small, and they aren't bold. As for the text in the login boxes, their 12 and same thing, but I'll give it a try. You can see the stroke around the login boxes? They were supposed to be barely visible and their 3px but I'll try 2px and lowering it a bit to see how that looks. I'm gonna try your idea with the effect on the bottom of the header, I was trying to figure out something to do to border it off the header from the content. Thank you for the detailed comment though I'm going to try some of your ideas. Probably won't have an update for a few days tho.

I meant the login form, sorry. Not a content box. But yeah the font choice is pretty poor. Calibri is a nice standard font. And if you think the font is too small, make the boxes bigger

Haven't worked on this in a while. Did a few things tonight, nothing major. At this speed it'll take me a month to finish lmao. The line flowing through the header text is just an idea, idk if Ima use it or not but if I like it ima end up doing a lot more with it. Nothing is close to being finished. Still have a lot of work to do with the header, nav and all that. This section seems pretty dead just tryin to bring some life to it Tell me what you think.

[tn=700:3bs9gkfb]http://i.imgur.com/arCP7.png[/tn:3bs9gkfb]

Van

looking good man.

The white curve behind Graphic Portal annoys me, makes it looks like Graphie Portal.

The rest of it looks clean and nice, maybe add in the ability to see the submission name/artist name when you hover the mouse over the images. I take it that last image you've posted is still the front page? I feel it needs an indicator of that, but not the 'front page' text you had before.

Edit: Try 1px Borders, or none at all. They nag me too.
    [center:3r0jgpn9]Ancient Animation Thread | PlainBen.Deviantart.com
    Xbox Live: Plain Ben

[/center:3r0jgpn9]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast