Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Psychic

Dedicated Member

Psychic

[center:2so1lva4][/center:2so1lva4]

Re: Sir L's thread NOT ANOTHER NOOB!

Nice animation.

There are, however several things you could work on.

Firstly, you foot placement. Although its fine to slide the foot thats not taking the weight, you should never make it shaky. The feet get shaky when you move it a pixel in one direction just for a frame and then you move it back. It also happens when your spacing is off and you keep changing the amount you move things. Your feet also hover above the ground for the first part, and slowly the level at which he is standing descends. Try and keep the hight you put the feet constant. You can do this by putting a hidden or "invisible" line along the screen at the level you want the feet to stay. Then every time you move the legs, just make sure they stay on the line.

This shakiness does not apply to the feet exclusively, it can happen with anything. Most commonly, limbs. At the moment your stickman is very shaky, but this is incredibly easy to fix. All you need to do is go back after ever movement and edit it so that the spacing gaps between the current frame and the last is consistent. It's just regulating your easing to make sure the the spacing is right.

Easing. Put simply, easing is the acceleration and deceleration of things. This means that you should start of making small jumps in your spacing, and make them bigger as the movement progresses. Then, when you want the movement to slow down, decelerate it the same way.

Work on your flow. You can achieve flow by using a mixture of easing and onionskin trailing. Onionskin trailing, put in its most basic form, is moving the lower part of a limb nearer the onionskin without changing what you do with the upper part. Put less basically, its easing each part of the joint separately. To get the best flow you should also use momentum conservation and move every joint in every frame. This includes the legs, back and head.

Next, work on your reactions. Take a bit more time just to get the reactions right. When he walks into the wall, the reactions is very slow. Try and make reactions instant.

Most importantly, work on the amount of frame you use. Honestly, you can use a lot less frames than that. All you need to remember is that once you've started easing, you can make much bigger jumps in the spacing.

Try and keep the speed you do things consistent throughout the animation. Right at the very end it speeds up a lot.

One thing I've noticed, is that it always makes the animation look more professional if you make the stickmen make lots of seemingly unnecessary movements. These movements should be ones such as a stickman stumbling in the middle of a run, and then regaining his footing, or a stickman lifting up a sword and staggering back because of its weight.

Lastly, something I believe is the most important thing you can ever learn. The way to get your animations double in quality, is to go back and edit every frame until you can't find anything else wrong with them. When I didn't used to do this, not that long ago, I found my animations to be very shaky and have bad foot placement. Then, when I started editing, I noticed an immediate change in the quality of my animations.

Low or medium beg for now, but your really doing well.

[spoiler:n0wbhfsc][/spoiler:n0wbhfsc]

Ward for Administrator

Dedicated Member

Re: Sir L Update.

Update.

Dedicated Member

Re: Sir L Upppdate.

Nothing?

Dedicated Member

The Green Boss

Sorry man, you get no comments. Your animations are really stiff, and have to be smoothened out a bit, you newest one is nice, but when he like finishes his jump and he sticks onto the wall, the movements finish to early and need alot more easing, he also just randomly moves up? Same at the end aswell, when he is bending down it should be eased more. Keep it up. Med beginner.

On the computer. Watching youtube videos. ... zzz ...

it is an OK animation, you seem to have a lot of potential! I hope to see you as a BIG pivoter in the future!
    Come see My youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/SticksNGuns

Courtesy? - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88001

Dedicated Member

Re: Psychic