Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Unmei Shira's thread

Yep. No clue what I'm doing. A friend told me to make a new thread, because I'm a beginner. Here's my first animation.

I am Unmei Shira, the Preceder of Death

Re: Unmei Shira's thread

You first need to start off with stiffness and easing but you seem to have some knowledge on it. But here's a refresher: stiffness is when the animation looks like one of those stop-motion 80s Christmas specials. It makes the animations look bad. To get rid of stiffness, unless your stick is simply standing, you must move every joint (the red dots) in a single frame--even if you don't want to move it, you must move it at least a pixel. But don't over do it. There is a thing called easing. Easing is the stop and go movement that, I think, pretty much relies on physics. It goes like this: When something starts moving, it must keep moving until it stops. Here's a diagram (in dashes) that represents easing:
    |-|--|---|--------|---|--|-|
    It starts slow, then fast, then slow again.

Spacing is basically the space between the onion skin and the stick. That applies with easing as well.

Your foot placement needs work. It looks as if the person is sliding across the screen rather than actually running.

Once you have completed that, I suggest you move onto flow. It's kind of complicated but you should get the hang of it sooner or later.
    [center:2hivssx3]
    "What if the Slender Man is trying to save children from the Pedobear?"
    My Thread
    My Youtube (Subscribe)

[/center:2hivssx3]

Why would you post pretty much the exact same thing you told me not ten minutes ago?

I am Unmei Shira, the Preceder of Death

Quote Originally Posted by UnmeiShira
    Why would you post pretty much the exact same thing you told me not ten minutes ago?
    The animating level that you're currently at doesn't really allow for much variation in criticism. You will, until you improve a little more, hear the same rewording and rehashing of criticism. "Ease like this, blah blah blah", "move every joint in EVERY frame". Right now, in your thread, Eonicy's comment is the only one I could see, and it gives me an idea of what's already been told to you and what you should already know to work on.

In addition to what Eonicy's told you to work on, I'd suggest beginning by practicing basics with some basic, yet crucial animations. Make some small animations of your figure walking, running, punching or kicking and get the basic movements under your belt. One of the most noticeable things about your animation aside from the choppiness was that the man with the sword's run was awkward and seemed to me missing a couple frames.

And always remember to ease large movements. Start your movement out with a very slight movements of the figure making the action, then double the amount of movement made in the next frame. Do this for maybe 3 or 4 frames and then keep the space that you move your figure constant until they're ready to stop, then do what I said before in reverse: Cut the movement in each frame in half for about 3 to 4 frames before bringing the figure to a stop.
    ^
    This is what Eonicy meant by his diagram. The vertical lines are meant to represent the frames in your animation and the small dashes are meant to represent the amount of movement you make in each frame.
    v The Thread v