Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Fresh Newbie

undone ,i just started back up on using pivot

Flume

Re: undone ,i just started back up on using pivot

Not too bad man! I liked the close up

Firstly I think you should change the way your saving your gifs, resizing down that much makes it hard to see. Bigger tends to be better so try keep an eye on that when you save your gif.

As for the animation it pretty stiff, a good remedy for that is moving all the joints of the stick in each frame (if you space them correctly then you should get a much more flowy and lively movements).

The run poses are a bit odd, the front leg comes up quite high and the shins/bottom segements of the legs don't bend enough, they just kind of maintain a fairly static position which gives it a stiff feel.

There is also a bit of colour inconsistencies on the background as it changes from scene to scene, just be a bit mindful of that. You could also slowly shift the background to the left to better show that he is running to the right.

Overall your off to a decent start, just try loosen up the way your stickman moves by moving all the joints in each frame and easing your starts and stops and I'm sure you'll do great. I'd love to see this continued by showing what he's shooting at etc. and hopefully without it being resized so much haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez

Firstly I think you should change the way your saving your gifs, resizing down that much makes it hard to see. Bigger tends to be better so try keep an eye on that when you save your gif.

As for the animation it pretty stiff, a good remedy for that is moving all the joints of the stick in each frame (if you space them correctly then you should get a much more flowy and lively movements).

The run poses are a bit odd, the front leg comes up quite high and the shins/bottom segements of the legs don't bend enough, they just kind of maintain a fairly static position which gives it a stiff feel.

There is also a bit of colour inconsistencies on the background as it changes from scene to scene, just be a bit mindful of that. You could also slowly shift the background to the left to better show that he is running to the right.

Overall your off to a decent start, just try loosen up the way your stickman moves by moving all the joints in each frame and easing your starts and stops and I'm sure you'll do great. I'd love to see this continued by showing what he's shooting at etc. and hopefully without it being resized so much haha.
    I agree with everything you just posted.

When it comes to animating pivotnoob14, you want to make sure that your animations have a consistent feel to them, or at least that's how I feel. What I mean by this is when you move the dynamic points on a figure, try to subtly move them to give them more of a consistent feel instead of this choppy feel I am seeing. I'm not trying to put you down as this is all apart of constructive criticism; however I just feel like your first animation in quite sometime is a bit stop-and-go. I don't know if anyone else sees this; however it could just be my browser.

Going back at what Rez said, when moving all the joints, try to move the origin point (orange dot) more even if it's just up and down to show that the figure isn't just limited to the same spot every frame. When you do that in my opinion, it doesn't feel at choppy as it looked in this animation.

Other than that, again I'm not trying to come down hard on you. I'm with Rez on this one, I'd like to see the animation finished instead of being left at a cliffhanger :P. It's not bad for a first in quite sometime, however it does have its flaws and others will most definitely point them out. Don't let it get you down though, you do have the potential to be a great animator if you take everyone's words with a way of bettering yourself in the long run!
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

ℋope

Yes, that is what I though aswell, 50% resizing is enough in my opinion.

A good thing is that you already used alot of Pivot features, like backgrounds, stick sizes, different colours etc.

The most important things to improve in that animation are the body and the arms when you see the whole stick. Try to move the back a bit up when the stick is in the air while running, and a bit down when he hit's the floor with his legs, it makes the animation more dynamic.
    The arm on the left is almost static while running, move it like you did in the second run, it makes the animation more realistic.

Keep practicing man, you will learn the things pretty fast.

Fresh Newbie

so wat your saying is that i need to work on my easing...thats always been my problem.Do you know any good tutorials?

Flume

Quote Originally Posted by pivotnoob14
    so wat your saying is that i need to work on my easing...thats always been my problem.Do you know any good tutorials?
    Well yes, spacing (easing falls under the category of spacing) in general and also eliminating that stiffness by moving each joint in every frame. There are a few tutorials in the tutorial section that can help like Darren's tutorial or outside of this site I find these two pretty helpful Zed's Basic Tutorial and Zed's Flow Tutorial.

Flow will what you need to get down after becoming more familiar with spacing in pivot and after you have eliminated some stiffness. I also think you should check out Pivot Animation Archive to download some piv files from the better animators and see how they animate there movements, take note of the poses and spacing they use.

I'm sure with a little bit of practice and knowledge you will get it down soon enough, looking forward to what you will make in future, especially since you actually bother with putting backgrounds and close ups into your animations - most people are lazy and just do movements on a white background, so your animation is refreshing

Welcome to DD by the way