Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Newbie

Dracnor Animations

Im back to animating, please give your opinions on these pivot animations. Also, the stk is mine, I just made it quickly.
    For every animation I use 20fps, said if otherwise.

Fight
    [spoiler:3fml85pv]
    I call this one ''nutshot''... For obvious reasons[/spoiler:3fml85pv]
    Sports
    Footy.

BBall; Two shots.[/spoiler:3fml85pv]
    Tests
    A test for, the wave, this was done at 30fps.

Bounce Test

A jump loop almost.

A kick, I cant get the easing for the whole body, but I feel I have the force for the kick.

This is my wall flip.[/spoiler:3fml85pv]
    Other
    This was based off of an old animation of mine,''The Cursor'', im still recovering so my old ones probably better, if I find the old one, ill upload it.

A run loop, sorta.[/spoiler:3fml85pv]
    Im having a little competition with Dyson, its theme is parkour/free running, heres a little sneak peek, dont look Dyson...[spoiler:3fml85pv]
    This is at 30fps, to be more fast-paced[/spoiler:3fml85pv]

Re: Dracnor Animations

On the sports animations, there isn't much power behind some of the kicks. And the running animation looks a bit sloppy, and I mean that in a literal sense, he looks like he's tire..lol. But yeah, the two figures during the fight seem very stiff. I could see the motives behind it, and they're good. Edit it and it could probably turn out pretty smooth. That being said, I could see you concentrated on more or less one limb at a time during the fight, i.e;When he knees the dude in the balls, then stomps on him. The leg he's attacking with has decent movements, but if you were kneeing someone, your back leg would shorten and extend at certain parts, it seems to sort of just sit there in the animation. I know you moved it's foot, but not quite the same.

Anyway, sorry if that sounded discouraging, just trying to help you see mistakes you might not have noticed ^.^...Maybe you could do the same for me?

In short, work on your easing, and flow. Move as many joints as possible in every frame, such as the back and neck joints during an attack.
    Courtesy?
    [spoiler:13fug3h6]http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93066[/spoiler:13fug3h6]

Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson
    On the sports animations, there isn't much power behind some of the kicks. And the running animation looks a bit sloppy, and I mean that in a literal sense, he looks like he's tire..lol. But yeah, the two figures during the fight seem very stiff. I could see the motives behind it, and they're good. Edit it and it could probably turn out pretty smooth. That being said, I could see you concentrated on more or less one limb at a time during the fight, i.e;When he knees the dude in the balls, then stomps on him. The leg he's attacking with has decent movements, but if you were kneeing someone, your back leg would shorten and extend at certain parts, it seems to sort of just sit there in the animation. I know you moved it's foot, but not quite the same.

Anyway, sorry if that sounded discouraging, just trying to help you see mistakes you might not have noticed ^.^...Maybe you could do the same for me?

In short, work on your easing, and flow. Move as many joints as possible in every frame, such as the back and neck joints during an attack.
    Yeah, I can understand, dont worry its not discouraging, feedback like that is the best advice you can give, like, in the football part, for the bicycle kick, he just balances there, like some sort of circus guy.
    The football, was still probably my best animation, once I find my 3 year old animations, ill be sure to post them, then tell me what you think.
    And sure, i'll give you some advice.

Old Newbie

Just uploaded a sneak peek, for friendly competition im having with Dyson

You need to remember to move more than one limb at a time. Remember, your whole body almost always moves, no matter what you do. If you stomp your foot to the floor, it's not just your leg that moves. Even for a soft tap, your legs and torso move, even if slightly. Unless you intentionally hold them still, which.. Well, you wouldn't do.

Your animations are very "stop and go". This means that they do not have any flow. Instead, your characters do something, stop, do the next thing. I'm guilty of this as well in my "Jump test" animation. But it is a lot more prevalent in your animations.

Watch your foot placement. When your characters do not move their feet from where they are, make sure the bottom most pixels do not move by even ONE pixel, as this can end up ruining even a perfect animation. It DESTROYS a beginner animation. Go look, once again, at my "Jump test" animation. Look at his feet when he's getting ready to jump. See how they seem to slide? That's -bad-. I've fixed it on my .piv, but haven't uploaded it yet.

You seem to have the idea of easing, but are doing it "wrong" so to speak. You should only have your slowed down part of your easing for 2, 3 frames at the most. You're either doing it for way to long, or not at all.
    In "footsy" the easing when the ball hits the face is extremely lengthened. It also should not be there at all, since the ball is coming into contact with something. In fight, you go to the other extreme, having your sticks go from 0 movement to top speed in one frame. Add 2 frames of easing, or even one, and that animation will jump up leaps and bounds.

In "Test", the spine is twitching randomly. It should follow the loop of the body. Watch somebody krumping to see what I mean. Also, The legs aren't moving at all. Even if they don't follow the movement on the dance, (They should) they would still move somewhat from the movements of the torso and the arms.

I like the concept of "The cursor". Unfortunately, it is once again very "stop and go". You also need to move more limbs.

In your run, look at the back foot. It bends so far back that it looks as if it becomes part of the leg. Feet don't bend that far back.

I see some problems with your parkour thing, but I'll comment when it's done.

Unlike me, you seem to have some really nice ideas, but you have some trouble executing them. With a little practice, I think you'll be able to leave us beginners behind in no time. Good luck.

Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Addzable
    You need to remember to move more than one limb at a time. Remember, your whole body almost always moves, no matter what you do. If you stomp your foot to the floor, it's not just your leg that moves. Even for a soft tap, your legs and torso move, even if slightly. Unless you intentionally hold them still, which.. Well, you wouldn't do.

Your animations are very "stop and go". This means that they do not have any flow. Instead, your characters do something, stop, do the next thing. I'm guilty of this as well in my "Jump test" animation. But it is a lot more prevalent in your animations.

Watch your foot placement. When your characters do not move their feet from where they are, make sure the bottom most pixels do not move by even ONE pixel, as this can end up ruining even a perfect animation. It DESTROYS a beginner animation. Go look, once again, at my "Jump test" animation. Look at his feet when he's getting ready to jump. See how they seem to slide? That's -bad-. I've fixed it on my .piv, but haven't uploaded it yet.

You seem to have the idea of easing, but are doing it "wrong" so to speak. You should only have your slowed down part of your easing for 2, 3 frames at the most. You're either doing it for way to long, or not at all.
    In "footsy" the easing when the ball hits the face is extremely lengthened. It also should not be there at all, since the ball is coming into contact with something. In fight, you go to the other extreme, having your sticks go from 0 movement to top speed in one frame. Add 2 frames of easing, or even one, and that animation will jump up leaps and bounds.

In "Test", the spine is twitching randomly. It should follow the loop of the body. Watch somebody krumping to see what I mean. Also, The legs aren't moving at all. Even if they don't follow the movement on the dance, (They should) they would still move somewhat from the movements of the torso and the arms.

I like the concept of "The cursor". Unfortunately, it is once again very "stop and go". You also need to move more limbs.

In your run, look at the back foot. It bends so far back that it looks as if it becomes part of the leg. Feet don't bend that far back.

I see some problems with your parkour thing, but I'll comment when it's done.

Unlike me, you seem to have some really nice ideas, but you have some trouble executing them. With a little practice, I think you'll be able to leave us beginners behind in no time. Good luck.
    Yeah, this has helped a lot, I can admit that I am doing the stiffness a lot, when I replay animations, it just seems wrong in several way, I think im gonna take a break and do some easier stuff, then move on.
    Also, the part where he gets hit with the ball in footy, thats meant to be slow motion, same with the kick.
    Im quite proud of the parkour, though, I do realise you can barely tell he's running. I do have a tad experience already, if you hadnt realised, this account is three years old, I just quit pivot and came back.
    What really annoys me in footy is how he just balances on his head. Anyway, your judging skills are very good, heck, you could judge an elite, I can only give good advice like that to people below me, because I know what I had to do to get better, at this point im not sure, so thanks for this.

Old Newbie

Just created a sort of wall flip, im not very proud of it, I need to work on my running especially, I think ill do some proper gymnastics, instead of free style flips. Anyway, ill consider this a test.

Alright, alright. You seem to be good with the realism in the bounces involving the balls,

As for the jump loop, the jump is decent, but it doesn't loop very well, though I'm guessing you knew that, since you said "jump loop..almost" or whatever.

The kick, like you said, I think you got the force behind it(I don't really animate hand to hand fights, like. ever..xD) But it's really shaky. If you rewatch it now that you didn't just finish animating it, I think you'll catch on. That may be due to him not being on a ground, if so. Try re-animating it with a floor or something.

The wall flip, the take off is great, the flip's pretty good too..but, right before hitting the wall, he almost suddenly gets higher a little. Still, not bad. When he does the backflip off of the wall, try flipping him a bit faster, this will allow you to make him fall a frame or two earlier, and be more realistic.

Edit:Oh, and during the second flip, while he's flipping, his arms get shaky for a frame. They started coming towards his head, then went back down immediately after. Still, keep at it!
    Courtesy?
    [spoiler:13fug3h6]http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93066[/spoiler:13fug3h6]

Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson
    Alright, alright. You seem to be good with the realism in the bounces involving the balls,

As for the jump loop, the jump is decent, but it doesn't loop very well, though I'm guessing you knew that, since you said "jump loop..almost" or whatever.

The kick, like you said, I think you got the force behind it(I don't really animate hand to hand fights, like. ever..xD) But it's really shaky. If you rewatch it now that you didn't just finish animating it, I think you'll catch on. That may be due to him not being on a ground, if so. Try re-animating it with a floor or something.

The wall flip, the take off is great, the flip's pretty good too..but, right before hitting the wall, he almost suddenly gets higher a little. Still, not bad. When he does the backflip off of the wall, try flipping him a bit faster, this will allow you to make him fall a frame or two earlier, and be more realistic.

Edit:Oh, and during the second flip, while he's flipping, his arms get shaky for a frame. They started coming towards his head, then went back down immediately after. Still, keep at it!
    Now that you mention it, yeah, those arms do shake there, dont know how I didnt realise, ill check out the piv, and see whats wrong with the height thing, yeah, for the kick, he does shake a damn lot, I used to animate fights, but now it just gets all wrong :P
    For the jump loop, well, it was just a coincedence that he landed almost in the same place, with almost the same posistion.
    EDIT: Well, I figured out both of the issues, I fixed the hand thing, but the height thing would make too much of a difference, and it could change the animation quite a bit, if I really wanted to, id fix it, but I dont want to, so I shant.

Veteran Enthusiast Sharpshooter's Avatar

You remind me of how my brother animates, he uses similar spacing.

Nutshot was good, I liked the power behind the sticks attacks. However, the upperbody seemed really stiff throughout the animation, try not to get lazy when animating a stickman, remember to animate both halves of the body, even if the stick is just kicking you gotta focus on the torso just as much as the legs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast