Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Eternal Luong

Fresh Newbie

Eternal Luong

MY ANIMATIONS

I've been working on this DBZ animation for a few hours and i decided to upload it here so you guys can tell me if i'm doing anything wrong or if i'm doing good. The animation lags towards the end i don't know why it does that in gif form. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/dbz.gif/ (By the way you have to click on the image after clicking on the link, sorry)

Re: Eternal Luong

Hey Eternal, I recommend you upload your animations to; http://www.imgur.com. Once it's uploaded, click on the picture and you should see a link in the URL that is similar to this: i.imgur.com/Ei. Copy this, go to your thread, click the edit button and copy this format;
    Code:
    [img]*imgur link goes here*[/img]
    This way your gifs will be displayed once a person has entered your thread.

Now for the animation itself. The first thing I noticed was the amount of sticks you move at a time. On average, I'm seeing about 2-3 moving sticks in one frame. You should try moving all the sticks at a time (not including the ground if you're not using any type of shake to emphasise power) to make the animation feel alive. Whether the movements be large of very subtle, it all makes a difference and here is a half-arsed explanation as to why this matters. During the fight, the stick men were taking it in turns to hit each other, while that is fine, it looks as though you're focusing on the purple stick for a couple of frames and then the other stick 10 frames later. This makes the overall animation seem choppy and sloppy. What you could do is try making subtle movements to the idle stick men so the fight doesn't seem so staged.

I don't have pivot on my laptop at this moment in time so I'll download it in a short while and create a small demonstration for you.

Poses: I'm feeling fairly lazy so here is a screenshot of a frame that caught my interest. You may have to click on the picture for a better view.
    [tn=400:2ppodi9v]http://i.imgur.com/EilN4lX.png[/tn:2ppodi9v]
    I picked this particular frame because of 2 reasons; the purple stickman's position looks so awkward and the green stickman's foot isn't level will other opposition. I created a black line which represents the ground. As you can see, the toes (if he had any) are going through this line. Make sure the stickmen are level if they are both on the same platform otherwise this looks like you didn't want to put much effort into the animation.

Onion skins: (If you already made a background beforehand and uploaded it then this may not apply to you) While using backgrounds can make your animation seem more appealing, it can make it harder for you to animate and here's why. If you start a frame and save it, the position of sticks will remain in the same position, however, you will notice a grey shape of the stick if you decide to move it. This is extremely helpful for multiple reasons such as foot placement and easing (which I will cover next). Once you're an advanced animator, you will be capable of making fluid movements without the need of the onion skin. For now, I recommend animating with a solid white background. The onion skin will be perfectly visible and will help a lot.

Easing: The movements of the stickmen are choppy and there is no fluidity what-so-ever and this is because you do not ease very well. If you raise an arm of the stickman, you want to slowly move his arm upwards and gradually increase the distance of movement. If you decide to stop the arm, you will then need to reduce the distance of movement in the arm continuously and do this until the arm has came to a halt. This probably doesn't make sense so here is a visual explanation as to what easing is.

Please note that the following picture has been created by Darren, not myself. You can find a in-depth explanation on easing and other concepts by looking at Darren's tutorial which can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22662

If you're wondering, the numbers are indicating which frame the position of the ball should be. Once you have a general idea of how this works, try applying this technique to parts of a stickman or anything for that matter.

I don't have anything else to contribute at the moment but this doesn't mean these are your only flaws. All I can say is practice easing, foot placement, positioning and try animating without backgrounds. I recommend looking at Darren's tutorial as it is better explained contains the most important aspects of animation.

I may seem arrogant but that is not my intention so I apologise if I seem like an ass.

Steam

All aboard the Kill la Kill hype train!

Fresh Newbie

Re: Eternal Luong

Quote Originally Posted by AlchemistEP
    Hey Eternal, I recommend you upload your animations to; http://www.imgur.com. Once it's uploaded, click on the picture and you should see a link in the URL that is similar to this: i.imgur.com/Ei. Copy this, go to your thread, click the edit button and copy this format;
    Code:
    [img]*imgur link goes here*[/img]
    This way your gifs will be displayed once a person has entered your thread.

Now for the animation itself. The first thing I noticed was the amount of sticks you move at a time. On average, I'm seeing about 2-3 moving sticks in one frame. You should try moving all the sticks at a time (not including the ground if you're not using any type of shake to emphasise power) to make the animation feel alive. Whether the movements be large of very subtle, it all makes a difference and here is a half-arsed explanation as to why this matters. During the fight, the stick men were taking it in turns to hit each other, while that is fine, it looks as though you're focusing on the purple stick for a couple of frames and then the other stick 10 frames later. This makes the overall animation seem choppy and sloppy. What you could do is try making subtle movements to the idle stick men so the fight doesn't seem so staged.

I don't have pivot on my laptop at this moment in time so I'll download it in a short while and create a small demonstration for you.

Poses: I'm feeling fairly lazy so here is a screenshot of a frame that caught my interest. You may have to click on the picture for a better view.
    [tn=400:2iztnegu]http://i.imgur.com/EilN4lX.png[/tn:2iztnegu]
    I picked this particular frame because of 2 reasons; the purple stickman's position looks so awkward and the green stickman's foot isn't level will other opposition. I created a black line which represents the ground. As you can see, the toes (if he had any) are going through this line. Make sure the stickmen are level if they are both on the same platform otherwise this looks like you didn't want to put much effort into the animation.

Onion skins: (If you already made a background beforehand and uploaded it then this may not apply to you) While using backgrounds can make your animation seem more appealing, it can make it harder for you to animate and here's why. If you start a frame and save it, the position of sticks will remain in the same position, however, you will notice a grey shape of the stick if you decide to move it. This is extremely helpful for multiple reasons such as foot placement and easing (which I will cover next). Once you're an advanced animator, you will be capable of making fluid movements without the need of the onion skin. For now, I recommend animating with a solid white background. The onion skin will be perfectly visible and will help a lot.

Easing: The movements of the stickmen are choppy and there is no fluidity what-so-ever and this is because you do not ease very well. If you raise an arm of the stickman, you want to slowly move his arm upwards and gradually increase the distance of movement. If you decide to stop the arm, you will then need to reduce the distance of movement in the arm continuously and do this until the arm has came to a halt. This probably doesn't make sense so here is a visual explanation as to what easing is.

Please note that the following picture has been created by Darren, not myself. You can find a in-depth explanation on easing and other concepts by looking at Darren's tutorial which can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22662

If you're wondering, the numbers are indicating which frame the position of the ball should be. Once you have a general idea of how this works, try applying this technique to parts of a stickman or anything for that matter.

I don't have anything else to contribute at the moment but this doesn't mean these are your only flaws. All I can say is practice easing, foot placement, positioning and try animating without backgrounds. I recommend looking at Darren's tutorial as it is better explained contains the most important aspects of animation.

I may seem arrogant but that is not my intention so I apologise if I seem like an ass.
    It's okay this is the kind of feedback i wanted back, i wanted to see what i was doing wrong, obviously alot of things, the reason why i didn't really ease that much was because i wanted the fight to be fast paced (The gif is alot faster than the actual animation) and each time i upload it to imgur it says the file is too big or cannot be uploaded