Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

ThunderStick's Animation Thread

Hai! Thanks for visiting my thread, please give me Constructive Criticism and whatnot.

I use Pivot 4.1.9 or Pivot 4, you could say.

>>>Animations<<<

KungFoo - http://i.imgur.com/RFXcp2c.gif

Gun Shot Kill Ver.2 (Version 1 suck) - http://i.imgur.com/TX61Gxi.gif

Sensei - http://i.imgur.com/AG1FVaq.gif
    -----------------------------------------------
    More would be added soon. Please stay tuned! :P
    Last edited by ThunderStick; 17 Aug 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Some updates.

That's looking really good so far! Your spacing is pretty good and all you really need to work on is the posture of the figure throughout the animation.

First, the figure takes one large step forward, and in that time, he throws two consecutive punches. When someone goes to throw a punch, they usually wouldn't do it mid stride unless they were running. In this case, I would have had the figure plant his foot just before the first punch.

Along with that, be sure check the posture of the figure throughout his movements. Especially his back. When he punches, move some of the points in his back that he moves forward with the punch and it looks a little more realistic. Apply the same idea to the kick, don't move his entire back straight back when he kicks up, move each joint individually.

Other than those two things you did a really nice job, I'm just being particular! Once again, welcome to the forums and I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    v The Thread v

Hi Thunder welcome to Animator.net(FKA DarkDemon). Well then I like this animation. You seem to understand lateral movement and somewhat easing and stuff. What I see what's wrong is you really just sort of made it like the guy was flailing about and gave no kind of power. In reality you should of sort of went with combo like punch>knee>punch>kick.

With the first punch you should not just lead with the upper upper body meaning move both back joints. You sort of just moved the upper back joint and left the mid join place. This goes with #1 rule of pivot animation: Always move every node when you are moving a stick figure forward. This way you don't cause stiffness or that weird hunch back effect. Also if you notice with the second punch the body is already forward and you are relying on what every strength in the other arm to make an impact. Generally in punching you are using the upper body to provide a punch it's necessary a common phrasing of throw your body into the punch.

Okay so in this little imagery we have extreme frames(important poses basically). Since you already know how to sort of lead into a punch I felt no need to provide the very first extreme this is a gimme basically. Back on track now. So in frame one you have the first thrown punch. The body is positioned just forward enough to indicate power. The feet are spread a bit because that's where you will come into your knee. I indicated roughly with lines the direction of each segment.

Now if you notice in pose 2 he kneed his stunned opponent. His upper body is tilted back with his next punch showing a build of power. His lower body is pivoted forward slightly past the original position since you used the lower body to give power to the kick.

Pose 3: The second punch, the body is slightly further forward than what pose 1 was. This indicates there was a little more power in this which would cause more of push back than a stun by the first punch. Once again the feet are spread shoulder length or since we would be going into a drop kick(the ending combo hit that has the most power and is considered the finisher) the legs could be maybe a tad bigger in gap to give better portrayal of power being built up.

Pose 4: This is more along the lines of a inbetween since it's not exactly an extreme pose indicating an impact move, but a crucial indication of transition of power. From here on the front foot is remaining in a relative same position on the toes. Here you should indicate some kind of action. You have alternatives you can go with here. I went with a pivoting position. Here you could show him launching him into a leaping drop kick. Also take note of the upper body. It's sort of beginning to fall back and the arms are about to swap positions as in direction. The leg is also tucked and is showing swinging action which will change it's direction sort of.

Pose 5: the last extreme(well the landing is important, but I'm focusing on your combo here). The foot is extended. The arms are opposite of what they were in pose 3. Once again the lower body position further forward which shows that more power is attributed to the finisher like style that the kick is portrayed in this combo.

All together take note how every segment(node) is slightly different compared to the previous pose. Now with this combo there's way to spice it up. You can add a snapping action to certain moves like you did in your combo, but be careful. If you put a snap hit after a snap hit, there will be no virtual appeal of power and that creates stiffness. With snapping hits this is that extra burst of power that in general you are using your shoulder. There should be some pause to allow for a reaction to show it's power.

Like I said your animation is good. It's a bit rough and if you follow my template some what you can easily turn this choppy animation into smooth one that has a nice connection action between each action. Remember as well that these poses are extreme poses and require inbetweens to ease into the movements so that there is indication of transfer in power.

I'm including the piv to the image if you want to practice connecting hits:

http://imgweb.de/i/4ffaiF.piv

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Thanks all for CC!

I thought that I would get hate's and hatred in my first shown animation but it kind of seemed like the opposite? xP

Anyways, thanks all for your tips and advice, I will be making more soon.
    THUNDERSTICK
    Thread | My Profile

Update.
    THUNDERSTICK
    Thread | My Profile

Sorry I was in-active. I had some skin problems and I had a slight fever, anyways I'm back.
    THUNDERSTICK
    Thread | My Profile

Back in action. Update.
    THUNDERSTICK
    Thread | My Profile

nice anims man! work on your poses and stiffness and of course making your movements themselfs more fluid n realitic, but keep it up man, jus keep practising!