Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Jon

Thread: Animations

Lightbulb Animations

Hi!

I'm completely new to Pivot and i've decided to show you some of my animations i made yesterday. I would love to see some constructive criticism in here, and i know there will be

Last edited by R3M4K3PL; 06 Aug 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Flume

Moved this to the Beginner's Hall, seeing as the anonymous section is dysfunctional and your identity is clear. It's nice to see you looking up tutorials and animating so much in one day, I can see you practicing a lot and becoming much better. I'd drop you some criticism but I'm a bit short for time, I'll check back later and give you some! In the mean time, keep at it.

Thanks a lot Lush! I actually didn't know where to place my thread, so i decided to post it in the Anonymous section... My bad Sorry for the mess and thanks for the reply!

@EDIT:

Some new anims... :P

Effect Test

/\
    || Quite happy about this one. Nothing special really, just an effect i got off the internet to try it out.

Combo

/\
    || My first ever combo. Took me a LONG time to finish, and i'm proud of it . Tell me what you guys think...
    Last edited by R3M4K3PL; 05 Aug 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Nice animations! You seem to get the idea, but try to work on easing and the general flow from one action to another. An example would be that say in the running one, it doesn't really seem like the stick is actually running, it sort of looks like a awkward hop. </critisism>
    Anyways, keep it up!

By the way, when you make new animations just edit your first post and put them there

Flume

Quote Originally Posted by R3M4K3PL View Post
    Combo

/\
    || My first ever combo. Took me a LONG time to finish, and i'm proud of it . Tell me what you guys think...
    The spacing of that wasn't to bad, could use some refining but the main issue would be poses. You got your stick bent forward, and punching downward which looks pretty awkward. Most punches will be delivered to the head or body of the enemy, which means the straight punches should be running pretty much parallel with ground (horizontal) rather than angled down to the degree that you had it. The back should also be loosened up a bit, it remains in the same position for pretty much the whole combo giving it a stiff look, a little bit of back and forth movement that corresponds with punches would have been good. The feet could also stand to be raised up a bit more with each step, at the moment it looks like he's dragging/sliding his feet the whole way through at the end. Also I'm not sure if that little leg raise was supposed to be a kick or a jump, making the movements clearer in future would be good.

For the spacing of it, the main error I can see is the first punch, after the punch is delivered you didn't really slow the punching arm down through easing it just kind of instantly snaps to a stop, the origin spacing in that punch is a similar story. Be a bit more mindful of your easing.

One last little critique, the choreography of the animation was a little awkward. The legs sliding forward while punching just didn't have that natural fighting stance feel. If you could picture that stick fighting in real life, would he be walking with a stiff back and throwing punches as he dragged his feet along? Using poses that convey balance and power is a big part of any movement. I suggest you take a look at some piv files of the higher ranked animators and scan through their frames to see how they pose their figure, space their attacks and choreograph their fight sequences, you can really learn a lot that way.
    Here is a little collection of pivs I quickly put together from various animators on the forum, download them and take a look - Fight Reference Pivs.

Overall that wasn't to bad, and actually pretty good for a first effort. Keep em' coming!
    Last edited by Lush; 06 Aug 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks a lot Kool! Big thanks for the criticism! Really appreciate it. I will place my new anims in the first thread!

Thanks Lush! I will surely keep them coming, and big thanks for long CC! Thanks for the reference Pivs aswell, i'm surely gonna use them!

Thanks guys!

good for just starting, need to work on your movements, making them more smooth, work on spacing n easing into movements n youll see a change for sure, but overall, good start, keep practicing, and i agree with Lush, work on your poses aswell.. courtesy??? links in my signature

Banned
    Are you sure you are COMPLETELY new to pivot. I was expecting to see lots of choppy newbie animations.
    You are far from intermediates, but you are showing potential in most of these.
    -First-
    The first one wasn't bad, though the reaction he got from firing the gun was very slow. Think about it,
    If you shot a pistol, would it really blast back that slowly?

-second-
    I'm not too fond of this one. His movements are choppy, though you probably understand that easing is not in use when punching. Foot placement is off too.
    Remember to keep the feet in the same place the whole time.

-third-
    This one is good compared to the rest. But . . . the stick couldn't have done a flip with that much propulsion power, it was more like he was rising off the ground than jumping off it. That's where you have to use phyiscs.

-fourth-
    hmmm, I'm... not too sure on this one. You have smoothness, but maybe too much of it. Plus, when the stick finishes his first run cycle. He places his foot about 10 pixels up from where the first foot was.

-fifth-
    This one was REALLY fast, I had a hard time keeping up with what was going on. I cant comment much on this one because, well, there isn't much too comment on...

-Overall-
    Overall your animations are not that good. You need to watch for small mistakes whilst watching out for the big ones too, make sure to edit and keep posting animations, you wont improve unless you keep trying hard.

Advice: Watch some tutorials, keep posting animations, and keep improving on what others say about the animations. Especially the veterans users.
    Courtesy:http://www.animator.net/forum/pivot-...nimations.html

Thanks Slacker, done courtesy!

Thank you for the cc lordpivot. I'm 100% sure i'm COMPLETELY new to Pivot. Although i have seen some animations on YouTube before, i have not animated in it before. The thing is, i read a buch of tutorials on this site before i started animating. I was kind of scared to show my nooby animations at the start, but i did it :P . Thanks for the rank, and i will surely watch some tuts! Doing courtesy right now

Thanks guys!

Jon
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Don't be afraid to be ambitious. Try something amazing. All the little shit will fall into place with practice.
    Mitchell, Hunter, .Blaze and 5 others like this.
    In memory of Shane and Sarah