Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: What to Improve Most?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movements

0 0%
  • Spacing

0 0%
  • Originality

0 0%
  • Overall

0 0%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By talkingcd
  • 2 Post By Firecracker

Thread: talkingcd's thread - DbzPivotPro Joint

Dedicated Member

talkingcd's thread - DbzPivotPro Joint

I don't have any of my old stuff, but here's pretty much everything from 2013+

.piv
    Dbzpivotpro Joint
    credit to whoever made the sticks

Archive

Teasers:
    Spoiler:

credit: FF550, Jon, e u p h o r i c
    Last edited by talkingcd; 10 Mar 2014 at 01:25 AM.
    Mayfire likes this.

Banned
    The Coffee Shop is very good! The first person view was animated really well. I think the only thing that needs improving in your animations is the spacing. It tends to look a little shaky at times. Check through the frames when you animate and make sure that the spacing is consistent. It shouldn't suddenly get bigger or smaller in places. This should happen over a couple of frames at least.

Everything else looks good to me though. Keep doing that awesome 3D and first person stuff please.

Dedicated Member
    thanks man, I'll try and work on that

Dedicated Member
    Small update.

Enthusiast

Prosthesis

From what i can see, you've got a nice little concept going here. There's an intriguing story to the animation. The fact that he seems to be seeing entity's in the mirror could hint at physiological complexities that manifest themselves to attack him. I guess for me i'm interpreting it as a metaphorical piece rather than a superficial one. I could be wrong as this may not be what you're shooting for but even if it isn't, it's still an intriguing peace, it sure beats the usual black stick figure doing back flips on a white canvas lol.

Keep this level of creativity up man. Remember, movements aren't everything, creativity is just as important.

Anyways, on to to the actual animation itself. I don't see anything jumping out at me in regards to flaws. I did find the hands in the first person view to be a little shaky but the actual movements were fine.

In regards to the mirror struggle though, i noticed you're movements are a little too compact. What do i mean by this? Well I mean your spacing can be quite minimal in places. An example of this is found in frames 101-110 when he's struggling to pull the "tentacle?" from the mirror. The struggle doesn't look believable to me as he' doesn't seem to be pulling with all of his strength. He's not pulling back far enough for one, and he's not putting his hips into it. I would suggest pulling his back further back and moving his hips forward a little. This would indicate he's putting a great deal of power into the struggle. You could also scoot his feet forward a little like they're sliding due to the force. Here's a picture i drew up depicting it better:

Another thing i think needs tweaking is the sequence in frames 122 onward where he puts his foot on the cabinet in an attempt to try and escape being sucked into the mirror. The problem was he put his foot on the cabinet way too slowly. This makes it look unrealistic as well as casual. In reality his foot should have launched much faster to the cabinet and then recoiled off of it for a few frames before subsequently getting sucked in. This again makes the struggle look more realistic and the recoil is just correct physics.

Here, i've very roughly animated these two points for you:

http://www.shuniu.in/s/u/f/1393603087.piv

It's quite rough but i'm sure you can get a better grasp of what i mean by looking at it frame by frame.

As for getting intermediate. I would suggest being a little less "compact" or "safe" with your movements. Don't be afraid to throw in some heavy spaced frames every now and again to show power or force. Because staying compact all the time can sometimes make your movements come off as stiff or bland. So instead of this |-|--|---|------|---|--|--| all the time, employ something like this |--|----|----------|----|--| every now and again for certain movements that require power or speed. As well as this however, keep up the creativity man. That's always a little boost in the eyes of the staff when it comes to quality.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Firecracker; 28 Feb 2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Sifter and Jojishi like this.

Banned
    The Coffee Shop was indeed excellent, it strongly reminded me of Jon's way to handle firstperson for some reason. It's a shame you're still intermediate at this moment.

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for the comments. Even smaller update. Could be cleaner and stuff, but overall I think that the effect isn't worth the time.

Edit: Added another short animation; tried a different style of spacing.
    Last edited by talkingcd; 06 Mar 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Dedicated Member
    Added a joint I did with DbzPivotPro from Shuniu West. I had a lot of fun animating something with a different style. Hope you enjoy it.