Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: realism

realism

i just have a question about makin animations realistic. i read this thing where somebody (can't remember who)was talking about an animation where a bit of the roof broke off. they said that the stick figure wasn't moving fast enough to break the roof. now, that got me thinking. Aren't stick figure animations supposed to have exaggerated effects and physics that aren't really realistic? Isn't that basically the point? So, how can you rate a stick figure animation on how realistic it is?

EDIT: it was in talkingcd's thread, and the guy who said it was frylock
    All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
    -Bokonon

WANNA COOKIE?! CLICK!

Fuck realism. sticks arent meant to be real.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by Picto
    Fuck realism. sticks arent meant to be real.
    that's my point, why is realism so important in stick figure animations?
    All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
    -Bokonon

WANNA COOKIE?! CLICK!

There is a time where realism is needed, and a time where realism is not needed. If you are making an animation, where everything looks mainly like real life, then you need realism throughout. If you are making a cartoony pivot, then you dont need so much realism.

Typically, at least for me, realism is harder, and a more advanced style to pull off, that is why it is critiqued more.

Enthusiast

Realism is based upon choice of the animator and his style. Most of my fighting ani's (Except a few) are realistic fighting. Frylock may have said that because the animation wasn't consistent. eg. most of the animation was realistic then BAM!, Giant purple worm attacks from beyondthe grave! Ya get me? Its all about how the animator animates really.
    anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. << link to my newest animation

Fads suck, and you suck for joining one
    By including this in your signature you relinquish all respect by me and any relative incarnations I might be in at the time. Noob

Re: realism

Quote Originally Posted by WTFA54
    it was in talkingcd's thread, and the guy who said it was frylock

Well, what I was referring to, was like, the running he does for instance, when someone runs, their back leg does not fly up past there ass, like he was portraying.
    I know it's just the style he chooses to use, but I am a more realism biased animator, so I tend to compare animations to real world things.
    [center:161o6f51]LET&#39;S BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUNS WE&#39;RE GOING TO TOWN![/center:161o6f51]
    [center:161o6f51][/center:161o6f51]

Jon
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Well ive seen people just have a guy slither around because the creator thought he was animating a style. In actuality he was just a lazy bastard.

I see realism as something that looks convincing, not by the book realism.
    In memory of Shane and Sarah

Fanatic Enthusiast

Like a movie director said, I'm not sure who it was or exactly what he said but anyway it was something like. The thing to strive for is believability rather than realism. Like some things with heavy spacing don't look exactly realistic but you know what he is doing and it looks good. (Assuming that it is animated well.) Even though it isn't realistic. But if a noob did the same thing with heave spacing but didn't animate it as well. Someone would probably say that it was unrealistic, and choppy.

Fraz : Good point, yet it will probably be overlooked...

*I am from the future lolololol
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Fuck + Realism = Fuck Realism

- As you see, fuck is going first, and we have to respect stuff that are going first, k ? We respect what foes first and follow what goes second.

gosh, I'm so good at showing my point. no need to thank me for this, you're all welcome.
    Click here
    Go and check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Fuck + Realism = Fuck Realism

- As you see, fuck is going first, and we have to respect stuff that are going first, k ? We respect what foes first and follow what goes second.

gosh, I'm so good at showing my point. no need to thank me for this, you're all welcome.
    nothankyou
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?