Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Onion-Skin Trailing?

I was watching some Pivot vids on Youtube ( DD is betta though =p )
    and then saw people that put a gray stick in the Frame before the current one, Is that what onion skin trailing is?

And if it is, Is it reccomened to do?

Re: Onion-Skin Trailing?

That's a basic blur effect.
    The onion skin is the 'skin' left behind from the previous frame to help placing your sticks. Onionskin trailing generally refers to trailing the segments/limbs of a figure a bit behind from where it's going, often to smooth the motion out.
    There's a better explanation in this tutorial - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22070 unfortunately the images are down, hopefully it'll get the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall
    That's a basic blur effect.
    The onion skin is the 'skin' left behind from the previous frame to help placing your sticks. Onionskin trailing generally refers to trailing the segments/limbs of a figure a bit behind from where it's going, often to smooth the motion out.
    There's a better explanation in this tutorial - http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22070 unfortunately the images are down, hopefully it'll get the point across.
    AH! I realized that on my own with the ball I've been testing with.
    If you totally leave the last onion skin it looks E-Xtremetlry Choppy.

Devoted Veteran

Onionskin trailing is when you move the limb so that it touches the end, or points in the direction of the onionskin. If you want a realistic style it is not recommended that you over-trail the limbs, though.

The effect you was was just a blur/trail.