Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Banned

Anticipation tutorial

[center:3uhlitk5]This tutorial will teach you about the basics of anticipation.

What is anticipation?

anticipation is part of a movement, maybe not to during the whole move but for the majority, it is. Anticipation is something the stickfigure does to prepare to move with acuracy and force. It may take longer to animate than what you were originally going for, but it's worth it!

Ok, lets start.

Lets make an example of when you're animating, let's say you're making a run and jump animation even a very simple one if you just make him jump, unprepared, it won't look very good or any good at all in some cases.
    Ex:

See, doesn't look that realistic, no?
    Now lets make his arms and body help him!
    We need to move back the arms to prepare, and thrust them forward when he jumps. Also bend down the torso and pull it back when jumping.

Much better!
    You don't always have to move the back forward or backward, you need to thrust the body parts that will help the most in the situation, for sometimes, you may even need to make your legs do the thrust or lets just say anticipation.
    For the legs, a quick example would be when he's doing a handstand, he needs to move his legs to thrust himself up and on his feet.
    You can see that if you use anticipation (which you should) you can (will) add a lot more power/force to your anims.

Ok, let's make an other example, let's say you're in your gym class on a long jump exam and you can't run (obviously) what will you do? Well if you only use your feet, I can promise you that you won't get far that way. Now, what you need to do, is obviously aid yourself with your body, which is the same as anticipation. (you anticipate how you do the jump)
    Ok, this is how a non experienced person would do it:

It doesn't look realistic in any way at all, now, if we use our body do thrust us to the end, we will get a much better result, lets make him bend his knees a little bit to get more area in which he could accelerate, lets also move his back forward and his arms backward. Now, for the jump, just JUMP, ease a little bit at the start though. You can also make him move his feet forward to land further and get a smoother landing. Why not take a look at the result?

.piv
    This improves the animation a lot!
    Try this if you don't know it yet,
    Hope this helped.
    Cya

***Thanks to Caleb (IfILoseAgainISwear) for the running animation examples***[/center:3uhlitk5]

Puddin

Re: Anticipation tutorial

nice tutorial this will help lots of beginners cause it was well explained good job

Banned

well, thank yew!

Well, not tryig to be an ass or anything, but I don't think you should animate the examples yourself. The quality of your animations simply lacks and therefore gives newcomers some bad examples on this. Here's some examples:

Your poses on anticipation look pretty bad, the pose should be realistic since this is a tutorial on an aspect of realism and should display him readying to throw in a lot of power. Neither of this does it.

Your anticipation lacks in general, he doesn't throw his arms back far enough and doesn't take time on it at all.

The animations itself are pretty stiff and such, this gives newcomers an overall bad example on how an animation would look when done completely right.

I suggest you ask someone intermediate or up to animate the examples if I were you. The explaining's nice though, good job on that.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Banned

Alright, thanks for the help, I'll try to ask someone

Edit:
    Changed the running examples... now for the single jump...

Banned

Ugh... two months later, and I FINALLY got to fetching some better jump examples...

**TUTORIAL COMPLETE**