Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

My CCs (sort of a tutorial)

Right, so I'm noticing I can basically copy/paste a lot of my CC towards different people, so I'm just going to make a tutorial on what is commonly done wrong among beginners.

.piv

Right, basically a run's the easiest thing to animate, it has steady speed and simple poses, also some simple work on flow and stuff. It's also continuous motion, so you won't have to bother with complex easing and stuff like that.

Poses:
    In a run, you only have to do key poses, which is nice. However, this means you should make every pose a good looking one. If you look at the .piv, it shows those frames. It shows the crossover, the extend back leg, the frame where nothing hits the ground and extended front leg. If you duplicate these poses with your own stickfigure, your result will look just fine.

To learn what a good pose in general is, simple fiddle around with moving your stickfigure a bit. If you think it looks cool, keep it. If it looks shit, change it. Do keep the other things in mind though.

Flow:
    I presume you know what easing is, if not, go check Darren's tutorial in the tutorials section here on Dardemon.

Flow is using easing in a way that is natural, which means limbs move in their own path of easing. For example: You use easing on the upper arm, but you let the under arm swing on for a bit, after a few frames the under arm can be eased too. This will give your animations a faster and dynamic look, and movements will connect better.

Here's an example with no flow:
    [spoiler:26l624ta][/spoiler:26l624ta]

Here's an example with exaggerated flow:
    [spoiler:26l624ta][/spoiler:26l624ta]
    .piv

Right, so that's basically all there is to a run. Notice though, a run barely uses easing, as there are only 3 to 5 frames used in a realistic-ish run. I personally enjoy shortening the legs in a run, you can copy it if you want, but I'd suggest trying without it for a while.

More to come, will get other examples of animations with flow and poses in it while this tutorial grows. For now, I'm gonna work on some more example animations for future things, just wanted this posted.

Have fun animating!

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Neo

Re: My CCs (sort of a tutorial)

Nice one caleb, but I think people often make cc directed at certain people, so this wo't work a lot of the time, good idea though ad a very well explained thing, good job.

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Neoflashtv
    Nice one caleb, but I think people often make cc directed at certain people, so this wo't work a lot of the time, good idea though ad a very well explained thing, good job.
    Well of course there's different problems to different people, but I find myself basically always explaining these:
    -Flow;
    -Momentum;
    -Physics;
    -Poses.

Some stuff's personal, but these are generally done wrong among beginners, other stuff I can still explain personally.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Im totally going to steal your base Caleb. c:
    [center:3ugdbk6f][/center:3ugdbk6f]

Quote Originally Posted by .Lethal
    Im totally going to steal your base Caleb. c:
    Oh you!

Nah, I don't care, have fun with it!

Uh, hi. I do stuff.