Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Banned

What do you guys think it takes to become the next rank?

Hey,

Just decided to ask a question since I'm failing at pivot, what does it take to become the nest rank? People here have called me high beginner, but its starting to look a if I'm worse than medium beginner.

So I was just wondering, for all ranks, is there a rubric of some sort to be able to move up to the next rank?

Regards,
    ~TPS

Neo

Re: What do you guys think it takes to become the next rank?

A long animation of at least 100 frames in my opinion, adequate skills, and determination.

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Neoflashtv
    A long animation of at least 100 frames in my opinion, adequate skills, and determination.
    Length doesn't matter.

It takes understanding of poses, easing, flow and physics. If you show that throughout quite a bit of movements (1 long animation with lots of different things in it or 6 shorties with different subjects) you will get intermediate.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IfILoseAgainISwear
    Length doesn't matter.

It takes understanding of poses, easing, flow and physics. If you show that throughout quite a bit of movements (1 long animation with lots of different things in it or 6 shorties with different subjects) you will get intermediate.
    So i'm basically 2/4 on that? or 1/4? Based on the CC you give me.

And Neo what type of adequate skills. That doesn't prove anything.. :/

Quote Originally Posted by thepivotstudent
    Quote Originally Posted by IfILoseAgainISwear
    Length doesn't matter.

So i'm basically 2/4 on that? or 1/4? Based on the CC you give me.

And Neo what type of adequate skills. That doesn't prove anything.. :/
    Well sorta, you got pretty decent poses, but you're easing's not fully developed, your flow lacks and your physics are plain weird at times.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

I think the issue is that people are trying to meet the standard they have set for the next rank. This gets them nowhere because they are following their own opinion and perspective, which obviously isn't correct if they're stuck at a rank. Rather than trying to meet the standard for the next rank, try instead to animate as realistically as possible. I've said this before; the best way to do this is to actually study real movement. This can be from watching yourself or others walk or run, to watching YouTube videos of specific movements you are attempting to animate, such as parkour or fighting. I studied several parkour videos and movements online before animating my "Natural Selection" animation, and I feel the outcome was well worth it. I believe those who make it to the top are those who truly enjoy animating; not those who are only in it for the rank. So don't worry much about the rank, just enjoy making content, practice the way you should be, and the improvement and ranking up should come naturally.
    "An expensive watch will never buy you more time" theminimalists
    PM for CC - My Thread - Reference Collection - Forum Rules

The Green Boss

After reading Pyro Mechas comment my opinion changed. I think that you should understand the basics like easing and flow but not try and animate it. Just be aware of it and animate how you want. After animating a lot most things come naturally. For vet it is a lot different however. You need to work hard for it by practising backrounds, 3d and effects. The movements have to pretty spot on too. In conclusion, just animate a lot and most things will come naturally.

Banned

After reading all of your comments I feel inspired to animate something longer now. And that's a good thing. Normally when I'm inspired I animate pretty well.

Pyro Mecha I'll be sure to do as you say. Thank you for your comment.

Caleb Yeah, that's pretty much 1/4 then. Lol. Thank you.

Juke thanks. Instead of trying to animate flow I should just try and watch for it, and fix mistakes as I go. Thank you a lot.

3hunnit

I don't there's an actual standard or criteria to meet. I think it's just a matter of how comfortable you are with how you animate. Your skill naturally comes to you if you keep animating and observing other work or even just living normal, everyday life. Don't worry about all this flow and movement stuff, in time you'll get it all down. That's the problem with most beginners, they aspire to move through the ranks so quickly when really they're gonna be in beginner for awhile (unless they're like prodigies or something). When I got moved up, I had none of these animating principles in check at all and I didn't meet the criteria for a veteran. Just animate to become the next rank and push your boundaries by doing so.