Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Animated Gif improvements for Pivot 4

Just to give some update of what I've been doing. I've been working on the animated gif output for Pivot 4, particularly solving the problem of 'Gif rape' which caused reduced quality of gifs in earlier versions of Pivot, especially if you used background with lots of colours. The problem is that gifs only support 256 different colours. I've added support for colour reduction methods and dithering in advanced options when saving as a gif. I made a simple animation and used a background image with many different colours changing gradually across the image, since this is the worst case.
    Here's the background image

Firstly I saved the animation with the settings used in earlier versions of Pivot. This uses the Netscape safe colour palette with no dithering. Notice the banding in the colours. However, the file size is small at 99KB.

Then I saved the animation with the 'Quantise' colour reduction method which uses an optimised palette. Obviously it is much better, although there is some banding still. The palette has to be stored in the gif file so the file size has gone up to 167KB.

Then I saved the animation with Quantise colour reduction and Stucki dithering. This gives what I think is the best possible result for an animated gif. However, dithering increases the file size a lot because it can't be compressed well so the file size has gone up to 225KB

Next I saved with the grayscale colour palette. Dithering isn't needed since all grey values can be reproduced perfectly. The result is the smoothest. If you have no colour in your animation then use this colour mode. The file size is 191KB.

I then tried the monochrome colour mode without dithering to see how low I could get the file size. It went down to 43KB. The problem here is the lack of anti-aliasing .

I then tried monochrome mode with Stucki dithering, which I think looks quite cool even if it may not be very useful. File size 137KB.

Don't worry if you don't fully understand these options. I've added some intelligence so that it tries to choose the best options and it will be fully explained in the help files.

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Animated Gif improvements for Pivot 4

Peter you genius! This is great! Will definitely come in handy and is a big issue with other versions. Thanks for the explanations that you will provide as well. Good luck with the rest of Pivot 4, I wish you all the best in finishing it.

Banned

You are very patient with what you do, Peter. I would gladly give you all my appreciation, frankly.
    This feature is definitely some of the bigger "wow!" moments, since all I can think of at this very moment would be summing up all the time needed to properly unrape a .gif on GIMP or Beneton ( and those both have their own limitations as well ).

Really, thank you for what you are doing!

Fresh Newbie

when can we see pivot 4? O_O this is amazing though

This is great!

It looks like you're doing a very nice job so far, thank you very much for continuing to improve this already great program.

Great to see an update on your progress This looks really good man. Thank you so much for spending the time to do this stuff. Your program was created quite a large community, its nice to see youre letting us know about whats going on in the program's progress.

Pingu

Banned

Good work man. Animated gifs were always a pain. This will definitely be helpful.

Damn, Pivot 4 might actually get me back into Pivot again.

Excellent work Peter

ℋope

Looks very promising man!
    I am really looking forward to it, I honestly expect a new wave of Pivot newbies.
    Gonna be pretty cool I guess, thanks for your work Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast