Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5

    A little question

    Hello there fellow pivoteers.

    I'm pretty new to DD and I'm practicing myself in making good easing, flowing animations.
    I watched an red a few tutorials of this tricks, but there is something I don't understand so well.
    Some of you guys mentioned: 'first move 1 pixel, then 2 pixels, then 4'.
    Just some example, don't be in detail plz.

    Anyway, how can great animators 'count' the pixels since they're so small?
    Or do you just basicly do it on feeling?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uhm
    Posts
    6,320

    Re: A little question

    In pivot, each time you move a segment, it moves an amount of pixels. Pixels are just the amount of space that the stick has moved. So, the less pixels you move the slower it goes, hence the term "easing". Yes, it is sort of on feeling, but you can enable hotkeys on your keyboard for moving it by pixels.

  3. #3
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5

    Re: A little question

    Quote Originally Posted by Girbot
    In pivot, each time you move a segment, it moves an amount of pixels. Pixels are just the amount of space that the stick has moved. So, the less pixels you move the slower it goes, hence the term "easing". Yes, it is sort of on feeling, but you can enable hotkeys on your keyboard for moving it by pixels.
    Thanks for the tip. I understand now.
    But therefore, how do I enable those hotkeys? Are they already there?
    And how can I develope the feeling of moving a certain amount of pixels?

  4. #4
    Flume

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,324

    Re: A little question

    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67655 - explains how to make 1 pixels movements, but if you intend to just use that for the origin points, pivot 4 has eliminated the need.

    The arrow keys in pivot 4 can be used to move the origin of figures by a pixel at a time. As for limbs, you can reduce the amount you move them by to the point you can count the pixels by clicking on a node (red dot) and dragging the mouse far away from the dot, you will find the limb moves much smaller increments as opposed to have your mouse right next to the dot and moving the limb around.

    Hope that helps.

    Edit - @Blot: He won't be able to pm until he gets enough posts.

    By the way, I ease based off feeling most of the time. You will find as you get more experienced that different movements accelerate and decelerate at different rates, so following the 1 pixel, then 2 pixel, then 4 pixel easing won't necessarily be the correct way to ease all movements. Do it based off feeling, what looks best and what seems right for the movement, at least once you get a bit more experienced that how you will probably end up doing it. Doing it by feeling or by counting pixels will both work fine if you space it right.

  5. #5
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: A little question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rez
    http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67655 - explains how to make 1 pixels movements, but if you intend to just use that for the origin points, pivot 4 has eliminated the need.

    The arrow keys in pivot 4 can be used to move the origin of figures by a pixel at a time. As for limbs, you can reduce the amount you move them by to the point you can count the pixels by clicking on a node (red dot) and dragging the mouse far away from the dot, you will find the limb moves much smaller increments as opposed to have your mouse right next to the dot and moving the limb around.

    Hope that helps.
    I actually didn't know that you could drag the mouse and make it move less. You learn something new every day. Well this has been answered, so I'm locking it. Maztergyl, if you have some more queries, PM me and I'll try to help (or PM any of the Animation Team) if one of us can't help, then we will unlock this. Good luck!

  6. #6
    Fanatic Enthusiast Luke's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: A little question

    Hi there,

    The most simplest way to describe easing is with just a few images

    Here is an example of BAD easing



    Here is an example of GOOD easing



    Here is an example of BAD easing



    Here is an example of GOOD easing



    Source: Darren's tutorial


    Also, personally I don't count pixels, I just estimate the distance between the figure and the onion skin from the previous frame. If I get it wrong I go back and edit it. Hopefully this answers your questions about easing and how it works. If you need any more details about it, just post it here.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

    |PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

  7. #7
    Fanatic Enthusiast Chris's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,409

    Re: A little question

    Quote Originally Posted by Maztergyl
    Hello there fellow pivoteers.

    I'm pretty new to DD and I'm practicing myself in making good easing, flowing animations.
    I watched an red a few tutorials of this tricks, but there is something I don't understand so well.
    Some of you guys mentioned: 'first move 1 pixel, then 2 pixels, then 4'.
    Just some example, don't be in detail plz.

    Anyway, how can great animators 'count' the pixels since they're so small?
    Or do you just basicly do it on feeling?
    Just animate on feeling. By trying often the monkey learns to jump from tree to tree.

    so just animate and have fun. It is fun to improve on from animation to animation. I've been animating for almost 5 years now.
    |Forum Rules||My Thread|

    if you guys need any help or advices add me.
    Skype: chris-blademaster


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •