Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Fresh Newbie

FPS rate... essential?

Hello there animators,
    I have another question to ask you.

Does every (awesome) animator adjust the FPS rate in their animation?
    I used to change the FPS rate all the time, but I learned myself that a good animator just animates with 12 FPS, nothing more nothing less.

What do you guys think? Do you guys change the FPS rate to make your animations look faster and smoother?
    If so, then how can you make a .gif on the right FPS you want your animation to have?

The Little Frij

Re: FPS rate... essential?

I think that pretty much most pivot animators use 18-30 fps on their animations. Just save it as a .gif, and it should save at the right FPS. You may have to tweak it by 1 or 2 fps.

Neo

Quote Originally Posted by Maztergyl
    Hello there animators,
    I have another question to ask you.

Does every (awesome) animator adjust the FPS rate in their animation?
    I used to change the FPS rate all the time, but I learned myself that a good animator just animates with 12 FPS, nothing more nothing less.

What do you guys think? Do you guys change the FPS rate to make your animations look faster and smoother?
    If so, then how can you make a .gif on the right FPS you want your animation to have?
    first of all, 12 fps is quite a bad frame rate to use. It's choppy and way too slow, I recommend either 18/19, 23/24 or 30-33 fps.

and BTW no awesome animator animates at 12 frames per second, most good animators use 24 frames per second.

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

12 is used in the industry because it can be divided nicely, as the method professionals use involves creating key poses in the adequate frames (to get the right timing) and filling in the frames between them across several "passes". So often, they'll animate frames 1, 6, and 12, then 3 and 9, and so on. 24 is equally nice to divide, so it's another standard. 24, 25, and 30 (I suppose 48 will start popping up more now, too) are video production standards.

18 is actually less common in both worlds, though it is roughly what Pivot 2.2.5 defaults to, which until the past month has been what most of us animated with, and so are used to.

However, I am now animating at 25, because I want to be get used to animating an an fps that I can put into video form without dropping or doubling frames (a 12fps animation will play nicely in a 24fps YouTube video, but 18 won't play nicely at 25 because 7 frames have to be randomly added). I export at 25, hence learning to animate at that. I don't need to use a number that can be divided nicely because I don't use the animation method that requires it.

What it comes down to is personal preference. I would recommend animating at more than 12, as you will be way out of your comfort zone at typical higher frame rates when the time comes. You may also struggle to fully portray what you want to at 12fps, because you "won't have enough time" in a second to do so.

Also, very rarely do you have a dynamic fps in animation (if ever?), so I'd advise against changing it for different bits of animation.

I think 12 fps is too little. I'd say 16 is the lowest you can go to not have choppiness everywhere. 24 is standard in the animating world so I tend to say that's the most useful to go for, but anything between 16-30 fps is doable I suppose.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Banned

When I used pivot 3 (July-ish) I used 30 fps, which dropped to 24 after a while. I switched to pivot 2 and used the default frame rate (18). Now I use 24 fps again, with pivot 4.

24-25 is the best imo.

I used to animate on 16, but recently I changed to 26 fraps and it worked miracles. I havn't released any of my 26 fraps anims yet though.
    [center:23yq8c40]PM me|thread|Freestyle[/center:23yq8c40]
    [center:23yq8c40]Fallen kingdom: 26/1500 frames est. [postponed until I get better movements]
    Juke joint: some where between 200 and 400 frames/????[/center:23yq8c40]

Fresh Newbie

Thanks guys, I'm really a step forward now.
    I honestly thought that a good pivot animator always uses 12fps, so I tried to learn myself making smooth on 12fps.
    I can just put the frame rate up now.

I'm assuming you were basically saying thanks and ending the topic off, but I just want to throw in my few cents. The only really good animator who I know used 12 FPS was Liquid Sword. Anyways, my animations look good at either 18 fps, 21 fps, 27 fps, and 30 fps. I'd recommend all of those for ya.

Big Boss

Watch the post dates man.