Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Elliott
  • 4 Post By peterbone

Thread: Is 'Pivot animation' starting to mean 'Stickman animation'?

Is 'Pivot animation' starting to mean 'Stickman animation'?

Every now and again I search on YouTube for new Pivot animations by searching for 'Pivot Animation' and sorting by upload date. I've noticed recently that some of the animations that have been called 'Pivot animations' are in fact not made with Pivot. Many of these so called Pivot animations are made with flash or some other stickman animator software. Here's an example (open in YouTube to read the comments).

So why are these people calling their animations Pivot animations? Is it because a large proportion of stickman animations are made with Pivot. Has anyone else noticed that 'Pivot animation' is beginning to mean 'Stickman animation'? It's good publicity for Pivot anyway.

Flume

Disregarding that animation, the bone tool in flash creates pivot points in a character or stick man so the animating process is similar to Pivot Animator, though it tends to distort the figure and behaves a bit oddly I have always thought. Perhaps some of those other stick figure animations that were labeled pivot animations but were made in flash were the product of the bone tool.

Outside of that it's most likely just by association which as you said is a good thing.

Go and yell at everyone who does this pete
    Moonlight Road: 210/600

ℋope
    People look for Stickman animations on youtube, they are often called 'Pivot' animation, they want to try on their own and call them Pivot animation too.

Veteran Enthusiast
    Until last year I used the term Pivot animation to refer to any program that utilised Pivot points to position a character; nowadays I use the term skeletal animation.

Regardless, the naming of Pivot is a masterstroke on several levels.
    peterbone and Gary like this.

If it's a masterstroke then it was pure luck. I spent probably less than 1 second thinking of the name. The very first Pivot program was 1 line with a red handle at the end that you could drag to rotate the line. It took me about 10 minutes to make and when it came to saving the program I just wrote 'pivot' so I could remember what it was, because it was a pivoting line. This program gradually evolved into Pivot v1 and so the name stuck.

DD addict
    I'm kinda happy how people refer pivot to stickfigure animations in general, not flash. Eventough it doesn't make sense. I mean, flash makes it hard to keep the propotions constant, unless you're a skilled animator. So it doesn't seem like the body parts are pivoting, instead, in flash, they're curving. Unless you're using the line tool. But the brush tool's more common. Altough, the pivot reference is only used by people who have been recently introduced to stick animations. Hope you got the point.