Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 344142434445 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: DBZ 4

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OblivionFall View Post
    I've been studying Professional Animation for the last year and a half, so my comments are going to be a LOT more technical than they have been in the past. I hope you will take this as constructive criticism rather than an attack on your noob-proclaimed God status.

Let's begin.

Stating the obvious, this is a long animation. For a program like Pivot, that alone is rather impressive. More than just that, it is a long DBZ animation, the draw-back here being that after while it just feels like I am seeing the same thing over and over.

The main strength of this animation is cleanliness. You're clearly a master of having one movement flow into another smoothly, with little to no shakiness or apparent stiffness. That's a good thing, right? Well, not always.

In my studies I am beginning to learn that there is a LOT more to easing than just making things look smooth. In fact, the greatest contributor to smooth movements is the use of Arcs to prevent movements from feeling stiff and one-dimensional. In addition, clean arcs will eliminate all shakiness when utilized correctly. In their simplest form, Arcs are a constant change in direction over time (A curve)

Easing on the other hand is a change in speed over time. Good animation requires both. It's unfortunate in my view that this fact is so often misunderstood by the Pivot Community. Most people here understand Easing to be the main contributor to smooth animation, which is false. You could create an animation in which there is no easing at all yet the movements are still completely smooth without any shakiness or stiffness.

Circular motion is the key here; a constant change in direction, but no change in speed. This will invariably produce movements which are floaty and weak. Doing the opposite, with huge changes in speed and few changes in direction, will produce movements which are restricted, but powerful. They key to developing a good animation style is finding the balance between the two.

Poses are even more important. Poses define the basic shape of your character. The process of animation creates a change in shape over time. A good pose has appeal - It must have a strong line of action and it must be expressive in one way or another.

I'm getting a little off track here, so back to the main topic.

Jojishi, your animation was great but it was not the best. It's certainly the best animation we've had in a while, but I have seen better. The problem with your animation style is that your movements are weak. They're smooth, but they have no weight to them. None of the hits felt like they had any power. Nothing felt big or epic. Sure, there were some scenes where you speed up the tempo and it was genuinely exciting, but the power still wasn't there.

Overall, it felt like I was watching two ants fight. I'm sure the struggle was big for them, but it didn't feel big for me. They felt puny, like I was viewing them from under a magnifying glass (This feeling was emphasized on the shots where it zoomed out). There wasn't much contrast between small and big movements. None of the poses were particularly strong or memorable. Overall, the animation didn't leave any impact on me.

And it really is a shame, because I can tell that you put a LOT of effort into this. You did an amazing job making everything smooth, and I know it takes a huge amount of talent to produce clean arcs and paths of motion. There was a great sense of flow throughout the whole thing. In fact, there was too much of it.

Not every movement is supposed to flow perfect, ESPECIALLY with action animations. When a character is punched in the face, that punch should BREAK the flow of whichever movement they were in the middle of performing. Yet here, the flow carries on into the reaction in places where it shouldn't. For a more extreme example, if you were hit by a train whilst doing acrobatics, would your bones break gracefully? No. It would be very sudden and unpleasant (For you, anyway).

The fix here is to put power into your movements. Sudden acceleration followed by sudden deceleration is the key to power (In other words, MASSIVE changes in speed) There's a reason this animation style is called Heavy-spacing, because it gives weight to your characters. I'm not telling you to abandon your current animation style or anything, just remember that you need more style-variation between different kinds of movements. Powerful movements should be Heavy-spaced, and graceful movements should flow. There are more subtle variations as well, but I wont get into those.

Another contributing factor to your characters feeling weak is just how floppy they are. Don't get me wrong, subtle rag-doll animation is perfectly fine in of itself. But THIS animation was aiming to be big and epic, which makes the occasional presence of floppy arms a little disorientating. Something Crono talked about in his big tutorial was muscle-control. It's worth checking out.

In final summary, this is NOT a bad animation. It's a great animation. It just isn't anywhere near as good as it should be. It had a lot of potential to be something incredible and it just fell utterly short. As I said, there were a couple of moments that got me excited, but they were short-lived and overall the animation left me feeling disappointed.
    You should be my mentor.

Banned
    You gonna use that Brojamba legendary super saiyan stick in DBZ5?

Joji can't end his Dbz series. Animating is too fun! Brojamba will go up to Legendary super saiyan 5 when he's done.

~Merged
    Last edited by The Black Mamba; 10 Mar 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Banned
    Don't double post man.

Jojishi, holy crap you really improved. That animation was fucking awesome! I can see why you're elite now. As OblivionFall said, the fight was kinda repetitive, but the animation, is just, mindblowing. It was so good I was just like "yeah who cares if the fight is repetitive". Exactly, it made me forget that the fight was repetitive, and I DID enjoy watching this animation.

The sounds were perfectly timed and were nicely chosen. If you actually edited this video with Windows Movie Maker, then you did a really good job with it. And yes, they do bring me back in... I don't know, 2010-2011? These were the sounds I heard in DBZ back when I watched the show, and also from your previous animations. Also I don't know if I'm the only one, but that laugh at the beginning reminds me genuinely of the TF2 Medic :V

So yeah, not only you made a bloody amazing animation, but you also made me go back in time; back when I still animated with Pivot, when your animations were my greatest source of inspiration, and back when I was a fan of DBZ. I smiled while watching the whole video, especially at the beginning, because I still remember that part. The end of DBZ 3.

I don't animate anymore, at all. I moved to drawing (I had artist's block for a while now unfortunately). But this animation, I just remember when I was still impatient for DBZ 4, until I completely lost interest in animation. But I later come back here, and what do I see? This. The animation that I waited for so long. It's a shame this forum gets less active every day. I really love it here.

My conclusion is: fucking amazing, was worth the 3-year wait. Keep up the good work Jojishi!
    Jojishi likes this.
    im havolis

I know it is a lot to ask from a piv god like u but could u pass me some aura stks like the dbz charge and pre beam thing

that dbz ani... it just blew me away dude great job!! I hope to see more
    aka CKN

How the hell did I miss ur promotion? D:
    Congrats man! Soooo well deserved. Jesus, seems like people who should be getting moved up are finally getting recognition, first cressy now u!
    *Sniff Sniff* So proud :')
    Keep it up man
    Jojishi likes this.

South, Animatings the motive, Having Fun is the goal

shit what, I just completely missed this (I guess that's what I get for not browsing DD much any more). Whilst I saw this on Youtube and I think I left a comment I didn't make the assumption that this was your move up to Elites (genuinely thought you were already <_<)

Belated conga rats and let's see some more animations, eh?
    Jojishi likes this.

i love coffee because nothing wakes me up better than scalding the inside of my face and the urge to violently shit myself

Banned
    I honestly can't thank you guys enough for all the comments on this animation. I've read through every single one probably two or three times now. It encourages me a lot.

I can see exactly what you mean OblivionFall. The zoomed out angles as well as the lack of the change of direction in areas took away from the power. I tried to do what you said, but on the other hand I didn't want to abandon the zoomed out look or the perfectly flowing combos as this is what the first three animations had. If I veered too much into the direction you wanted it would completely abandon the stylistic choice I made. I'll still try to do what you said though regarding these things as well as more muscle control and variations in spacing (this one is a massive thing I need to work on). I'll do these things and work them into the style I have somehow.

Thanks Lolza for coming back here even if it's just to comment on my animation. It means a lot to know you'd do that. Thank you Lithium, Valtus and Reaper. I respect you guys a lot. I'd like to thank everyone else too.

I'm working on my DDC12 right now. Originally it was going to be part of a massive project, Desperation, but I feel like that would be better reserved for Flash now. My new idea is a bit more creative and it's different to anything I've done before. It won't be very long, with my estimation being somewhere between 500 - 1000 frames but I'm aiming for quality here. I may release a trailer for DBZ 5 some time this year too. I guess this is all I have to say at the moment. I don't want to make too many wild promises or anything but this is what I have planned at the moment.
    Raymond and Lolzafish like this.

Badass animation!
    BUT!!!
    There always is But, How many FPS is it? I'd like to know. didn't look like 12fps

Discussing 'bout Eminem
    Courtesy Bro
    My Animation Thread

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 344142434445 LastLast