Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Punching and Kicking Tutorial *56kb Warning I guess...*

Well, I've decided to make my 1st tutorial ever on pivot about punches and kicks since I'm comfortable now, so let's get started.

I know this is not finished, but it seems helpful as it is now. I'll try to update it when I can to complete it. I know that some of the examples kind of suck, but they are just examples I've made to show an idea of what it should look like, K?

Click on the 1st image of the example of the punch/kick of your choice for the piv. I used V3 to make the punches/kicks, so I am sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Punches

There will be different types of punches covered in this section:

- jab
    - "power" punch
    - uppercut
    - backfist
    - haymaker
    - overhand
    - chambered punch
    - one-two punch

Jab

The jab is a quick, weak, straight punch that can be used to start chains.

• Frame 1 : The stick is in a ready stance with both arms up.

Frames 2-3 : Bend the spine a bit forward, move the striking arm forward a little and extend the forearm slightly. Move the other arm a little upwards.

Frames 4-5: Fully extend the striking arm. Move the spine forward and the other arm upward 1px in frame 4 then the opposite way in frame 5.

Frames 6-7: Either return the stick to its original stance, or start a chain.

Example

"Power" Punch

A direct, strong punch that uses the entire body in its motion.
    I guess this is kind of like Baha's punch.
    • Frame 1: The stick is in a ready stance with both arms up.

Frames 2-5: The stick starts to move forward while bending the spine slightly backwards, raising the striking arm ready for punching, and extending the other arm forward.

Frames 6-9: The striking arm extends fully for the blow and the other arm bends while moving behind the spine. The spine is bent forward to increase the power of the blow.

Frames 10-14: The stick begins to return to its original stance or starts another punch/kick.

Example

Uppercut

A usually devestating punch for finishing a chain or a finishing blow.

• Frames 1-5: From a ready stance, the stick begins to bend its knees and spine for the uppercut. The striking arm is bending towards the top corner of the animation area and the other arm remains in its position.

Frames 6-10: The striking arm is brought up extending towards the top right corner while the other arm is brought back past the spine. The spine gradually moves backwards and the legs cross over each other like in a walking motion.

Frames 11-16: Gravity begins to take its effect as the stick is brought down. The stick is brought back to its original stance or begins another attack.

Example (My landing sucks, so don't look at it.)

Haymaker

A wild punch used to knock out an opponent.

• Frames 1-6: From a ready stance, the stick slightly moves backwards and the spine does the same. The leg the stick is not standing on is raised knee 1st. The striking arm is prepared to execute the punch while the other arm is extended in front of the stick, bent at a 90 degree angle.

Frames 7-9: The stick begins to move forward, also same with the spine. the striking arm is left in its position for these frames while the other arm is slowly making its way towards the spine. The other leg is brought down, but it not touching the floor.

Frames 10-13: The striking arm is finally extended forward with the spine moving forward with the punch. The other arm is brought back behind the spine and the stick is carried forward from the momentum of the punch.

Frames 14-20: The spine and stick is gradually brought back to a standing stance. It took me 7 frames only because it took a while to get it back to a stance.

Example

Chambered Punch

A strong punch that can be seen used in karate, tae kwon do, and some other chinese martial arts of which names I don't know. I think Bruce Lee used this punch or something.

• Frames 1-7: From a ready stance, one of the stick's legs slide along the floor while the other stays in the same position. The spine is bent backwards and the striking arm is in position ready to hit. The other arm is in front of the spine with the forearm extended horizontally.

Frames 8 - 18: The stick slowly moves forward until the legs cross, in which then the stick moves quickly. The arms remain in their position until the legs cross, then the striking arm deals the blow in almost the same position as the other arm. Meanwhile, the other arm is brought back behind the spine, which is bent slightly forward.

Frames 19-24: The stick is slowly brought back to its original stance or deals another blow.

Example

Kicks

There will be different of types of kicks covered in this section:

- front kick
    - back kick
    - double kick
    - donkey kick
    - flying kick
    - axe kick
    - butterfly kick
    - roundhouse kick

Front Kick

A relatively powerful kick that pushes the opponent away.
    Kind of like Baha's kick too.
    • Frames 1-5: From a ready position, the stick begins to move forward as the spine and arms move forward also. The striking leg is brought back and bent.

Frames 6-10: The striking leg is lunged forward while the spine and arms move the opposite way. The other leg bends slightly to support its body. Leave the striking leg up there for, oh say 2 or 3 frames.

Frames 11-15: The striking leg is brought back down to its original position, as the rest of the stick does.

Example

Back Kick

Pretty much the same as the front kick, except the kick is delt backwards.
    • Frames 1-6 From a ready stance, the stick moves backwards and the striking leg is brought upwards while bending. The spine is slightly bent backwards while the arms are brought forward.

Frames 7-10 The striking leg is brought backwards, extending and dealing the blow in the process. The spine is moved forward while the arms are brought backwards.

Frames 11-16 The stick returns to its original position.

Example

Double Kick

2 consecutive powerful kicks.
    I edited a double kick out of one of my anims for the example, so the frames breakdown may not exactly be like the example.

• Frames 1-4: From a ready position, the stick quickly moves forward, as if it were running, except that the arms do not cross over until the 3rd frame (kind of hard to explain). The striking leg is bent while crossing over the legs, but is more at an obtuse angle (like this \_ that's obtuse) at frame 4.

Frames 5-6: The striking leg of the stick is now fully extended, almost pointing to the top corner. One arm is at a similar position as the striking leg (extended, pointing at top corner) while the other is behind the spine, which is bent backwards some.

Frames 7-8: The striking leg drops down and the other leg begins to rise up, but not as high as the other leg drops down. The arms move towards the spine, but do not cross each other yet. In these frames, the stick is raised slightly above the ground because the other leg is now in mid air.

Frames 9-12: The other leg is now fully extended where the striking leg was in previosly in frames 5-6. The arms cross each other, with the now front arm is bent at around a 90 degree angle and the other arm brought back slightly behind the spine (the forearm is slightly in front of the spine), which is bent a little more slightly backwards.

Frames 13-16 The other leg drops down and the stick moves forward a bit. The arms and stick return to the ready stance. You could start another attack too.

The frame breakdown took a while to make because it was kind of hard for me to explain. Maybe the piv will explain better.

Example

Donkey Kick

A powerful kick that uses both legs for the blow.

I don't know how to animate the stick bend down for the donkey kick from a ready stance, so I just began with it bending down.

[list]Frames 1-5: From the bending down position (Idk what to call it), The stick slowly moves backwards as the arms straighten - And I'll finish the frames breakdown tomorrow, because my dad is telling me to get off.

Meanwhile, here's the example.

Dedicated Member
    That acturally seem's pretty helpfull. It's pretty well explained as well. Movment's are a little stiff, but other wise nice.

Enthusiast
    Wow. Man, this is gonna get the masters list, because this was is worth it all the way. Nice job, I couldn't have made this, lol.
    Hi.

Ha, thanks. I'll probably get a few more punches and kicks done today after school, if I don't have homework.

W00T 10,000 posts..... oh... damn just a dream!!
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you made an uppercut one thanks!! i suck at it but now i might actually improve!! lol
    this should make the master list seeing as its not even finished when it is i think it devinatley will... nice work!!
    11/10!

this helped me out a lot thanks and im sure it will help out around 2million noobs aswelll
    [includes meh lol]
    My blast tut
    Click sig for meh thread

Death for death.... crap wait....

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Not bad. Nicely explained and a well made tutorial. You however could improve on your movements. It will help someone, but it wont help anyone above high beginner. Good try though. Once you improve i hope you will make more.
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

Enthusiast
    Very good job I was expecting a nub tutorial but hey good job.

helped me loads thx =D
    Anyone that wants to see my animations will have to go to another site to view them. pivot-place look us up.

For more animations like this you should hop on over to http://www.pivot-place.org/vb
    There are some awesome animators there.

W00T 10,000 posts..... oh... damn just a dream!!
    sorry but could you send me the .piv to the uppercut via pm coz its totally pissin me off now coz im absouloutly fucking shit at uppercuts!!
    if you could it'd be great
    My blast tut
    Click sig for meh thread

Death for death.... crap wait....

PIVs would have helped
    and damn you for beating me to it =/
    adn its no the best in thw world
    but its not the wirst
    good job on it , some smoothness issues , and unusual stick but whatever.

Yeah, as I said in the beginning, this is my 1st tutorial. I'm gonna start making the other punching and kicking examples soon. I guess I'll add the pivs, but they're in V3, so sorry for any inconvenience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast