Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: was this helpful?

Voters
660. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

146 22.12%
  • yes

145 21.97%
  • yes

144 21.82%
  • yes

144 21.82%
  • no

20 3.03%
  • no

20 3.03%
  • no

20 3.03%
  • no

21 3.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Pivot mega tutorial

This post will be main my pivot tutorial, I'll continually add on to it as I get time.

[general updates:]

9/6/05 @ 11:32 am CDT - Part 1 finished.
    9/17/05@ 10:15 am CDT - Part 2 finished.
    9/19/05@ 1:01 am CDT - Extra bonus finished.
    11/22/05@ 8:02 pm CDT - Part 3 finished. (womg 2 months :0)

This isn't a tutorial on any one thing in particular, rather a complete animation overview that should help you animate better in general.

THE VERY BASICS:
    setting the settings
    [you have to know these if you ever want to get good]

First off, you will find that you will get the smoothest animations (that is what you want right?) by leaving the speed slider bar at default (middle) when animating, and setting the .Gif options like this

SMOOTHNESS
    smoothness + movement
    [we'll start with the basics, movement of stickmen, and smoothness in general.]

Ok, open pivot, and animate something. anything. If you're not too good at animation, it will look kinda sloppy, the movements don't flow well. We in the animation buisness call that choppyness.
    Let's try to fix that shall we? Example time.

Example 1: choppy
    (I'll be using hotlinks for any animated examples to help view the page better)
    click me

Now, let's look at our mistakes:
    mistake #1:

In the first frame of arm movement, (frame 2) the arm moved straight back, no bending or anything, while in frame 3, the arm started to bend. It is wrong to do this, and will ultimatley result in choppyness.
    watch the animation again, and note how the arm looks weird in the first few frames moving up.

Mistake #2:

The arm started to come down at a fair speed in #9, but slowed down greatly in #10 and sped back up in #11. this also is a very bad thing to do, and will cause choppyness
    Note also that the arm was straight again at first, then started bending again on the second frame (#10)

Example #2: Smooth
    click me
    As you can see, the arm doesn't mess around and look strange, it goes up, punches, and comes back down. Simple as that. The most important thing to watch out for is to make sure you keep moving everything at a steady pace, not faster and slower from frame to frame. It's just lazy.

Now that you've gotten the arm smoothened out, go back through the animation, (or just start over, that's what I do) and re-make the punch, with some added body movement to add to the realism of it, you should come out with somthing like this. Obviously the extra step wasn't needed, but it was just an example.

End of part 1

Part 2
    blood

There are many many different ways to do blood in pivot. I'm sure everyone here wants to learn doddsy's style, so I may update with that sometime later.

For now, we'll learn how to make this.

start out by adding a bunch of red lines comming out of the injury, they can be any size or legnth, but not too big.
    I'll leave the actual animation of the stickman up to you, but for the blood, on frame two, move the blood so that it is the legnth of it's self away from where it was in the first frame. (it's end is touching the onion-skin of it's front)
    Also, shrink the blood down half way every frame. (If it was 100, on frame 2 it'll be 50, then 25 and so on.)
    Keep moving and shrinking the blood until you can no longer grab it with the mouse. (usually about 5)

after that, delete it, or make it splat on the floor/walls, whatever.
    and there you have it! your own type of blood.

click here to see my version in super slo-mo to see how it's done.

Extra Bonus blood:

Here's a quick breakdown of some different blood.
    (note this is much more detailed blood, and is very difficult to animate. newer people may want to stick with simpler blood for now)

this is what this part of the tutorial will make. (I believe that this is almost exactly what SA did in the FFA, but I can't remember. I'll have to check.)

We'll start at frame 12. (the first frame with blood in it)

I made ALL of this blood with nothing but these three stks:

which is why I always wonder why people want blood packs so badly.. you don't need them.

frame 12:

first off, build the basic shape with the fatter peices, then add both the shorter ones, and more fat ones, shrunken to 90 or 80.

13:

You can then shrink all the pieces down by 20 or 30, and move them forward a little more than the legnth of what they were.

repeat this process about 3 more times, but you can also do somthing extra, if you want it to look a little bit more real.

16:

Shrink a few pieces to half of what they would be, and add an extra piece of that size to simulate the drops splitting apart.

Keep moving and shrinking until they're too small, you can then delete them.

and that's basicly it, Hope it helps ^^

see example in slow motion

End of part 2

Part 3:
    Fighting/combos
    (for Clace, hope it helps dude )
    Combos are what gives people probably the most trouble in pivot, (except backgrounds/3d) including experts like bert/ls etc.

I'll give you some helpful pointers on how to link moves, and just basic fighting in general.

example (<- click)

Linking depends almost always on 4 things:
    • the position your main guy is in, [/*:m:3td39qwh]
    • what position your opponent is in, [/*:m:3td39qwh]
    • what he/she is doing,
      and [/*:m:3td39qwh]
    • how far he/she is from you.[/*:m:3td39qwh]

Now, we'll discuss some of the basics of our little 3-hit combo.

I won't go into detail, because it'd take too long, and every fight is different so it wouldn't do you that much good.

First hit:
    click me
    Just a basic from-behind uppercut/slap thing with the beginning of a turn, pretty simple.

• Bring the stickman's arm up fast for the hit, then slowly bring it to a stop as he begins to turn.[/*:m:3td39qwh]
    • watch the perspective at you move him around, be sure to pay special attention to where the arms and legs are. (try doing the move slowly in front of a mirror for referrence)[/*:m:3td39qwh]
    • As with anything, make sure to preview often, every frame if you need to, especially with advanced moves. Make sure nothing's too slow, and nothing's too fast.[/*:m:3td39qwh]

second hit:
    click me
    the rest of the turn, and another uppercut.

Really easy, just keep the arm that did the first move going back behind, and punch with the other. (fast then slow, remember?)

Final hit:
    A good strong finishing blow.
    click me

Also quite simple, bring that first used arm down at a 90 degree angle (horizontal), then fold it in half first, then all the way down so it's hidden in the stickman's body, then straight back out the opposite side. make sure to send the other guy flying a ways back. (or if you're going for realism, just a step or two)

You can also download the .piv file here
    Hope this helps everyone, any comments or questions welcome.

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

Wow that is actually another great tut kepp it up Cap'n toasty. )

Fresh Newbie
    nice tut!helped me out

Thanks, added part 2, hope it helps.

OMG this ws soooo helpful!
    ) TY! Now I don't have to wonder at the speed settings!

finally finished the extra bonus.. that blood took me about 30 mins to animate 5 frames.

That blood-tut helped me soooooooo much! I have never made blood that looked that good!

Enthusiast

Dude... that blood... awesomeness dude. This tutorial has definately helped me =D
    anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. << link to my newest animation

Fads suck, and you suck for joining one
    By including this in your signature you relinquish all respect by me and any relative incarnations I might be in at the time. Noob

wow very impressive. good stuff and that blood will give me a little boost. thanks )

Enthusiast

great blood. your tut is awesome. i can't wait for more... yes it helped me.

[add me @ jjknox@gmail.com]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast