Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stickmaking tutorial- PROPORTIONS

Stickmaking tutorial- PROPORTIONS

Well, I've seen way too many disproportionate stick figures. It's sad, and makes me want to shoot myself.

So, When you're making a stk, you should follow basic proportions.

THere are a few things you can ignore, and a few things you have to remember. You can ignore the shoulder and hip bone width. One thing you should remember, however, is that you should make the legs measure down to the heel, and you should make the arms measure to the end of the hands (if oyu have fingers, remember to make the arm a tiny bit shorter).

Marked in green is the proportion of the legs. When amking legs, you should always make sure the length of the legs is about the same as the length of the torso. It can eb a little off, but make sure it's at least near. (Thank wereZ for that tip)

MArked in orange is the proportion the legs should have. The Shins should ALWAYS be a bit shorter than the thighs. It annoys me to see stks that have shins longer than the thighs. Look at any human being, and measure the shin form the middle of the knee to the ankle, and measure the thigh to were it connects to the hip bone. You'll notice it is ALWAYS shorter, as shown in the below pic.

The last part is the part that annoys me the most. You'll notice, outlined in yellow, and a line in red, the arm proportions. WHen measuring arms, you always make the forearm reach a little bit below the waist. I can't even watch anims where the arm is shorter than the torso, and it's hard for me to watch anims where the arm is the same length as the torso.

You'll also notice that the forearm is slightly shorter than the bicep. It doesn't really matter, as long as the arm reaches below the waist.

Also, very importantly, you should ALwAYS have a neck. It doesn't have to be as exagerated as my sig stks, but the head should NEVER touch the body. Always, always, always have a neck. I have trouble watching movies where there isn;t a neck, because the figures look extremeley retarded.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
    RetiredBATS likes this.
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast

Looks great. It looks like you took your time... I will sticky this if its helpful enough.

Dedicated Member
    Lol @ those pictures :P Yeah, nice tutorial. Pretty basic and easy to follow I like it.

- Note the fact that the number of stickys and announcments in this forum, are more then in any other, Counting in 5 stickys and 5 announcments :P

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Nice4 tutorial highly. VEry well explained, and i will refer back to here whenever i am making a man
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

Lol. At first I thought it was a joke. Then I was like, "Hey, that's kinda helpful". Anyways, thanks.

Courtesy? In GoW userbar

Sweet! I got Sasuke!! That means i'm like a mega pimp!

Fanatic Enthusiast

Nice tut I know that some people can use it. It is a little annoying when people have sticks that are way out of proportion. I always try to make my sticks in proportion, and this might help me a little, give myself a check list to check myself.

But I have to disagree with you about the legs, I think that they should be longer than the torso because I can touch my chest with my knee, and it reaches almost up to my shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Wojak
    Nice tut I know that some people can use it. It is a little annoying when people have sticks that are way out of proportion. I always try to make my sticks in proportion, and this might help me a little, give myself a check list to check myself.

But I have to disagree with you about the legs, I think that they should be longer than the torso because I can touch my chest with my knee, and it reaches almost up to my shoulder.
    You do realize, when you reach your knee to your chest, your back is bent. I can do that, I see you point, but when you compare the leg length to torso length on a picture of a person, it is almost the same.

And anyways, my sister gave me that info, and she is an art major. She recently had one of her illustrations featured in the NAtional art and illustration magazine, and she's pretty much amazing.
    I'm gay.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Ok yeah, I see that your point. But even in the picture doesn't it look like his leg is long enough to reach his head? Maybe not. But that's what it looks like to me. But it's not really major, just a minor thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Roy
    Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Wojak
    Ok yeah, I see that your point. But even in the picture doesn't it look like his leg is long enough to reach his head? Maybe not. But that's what it looks like to me. But it's not really major, just a minor thing.
    the leg is long enough to reach the head and above. but the reaches the chest. Sir_Wojak is right, the legs aren't long enough, but the knees don't reach the torso.

now stop arguing

in a diffrent parallel universe sorrounded by krimmopahic calls that diverts the power of the void
    nice tut
    look in the couch and see a distinctive head.

head: who's yo' daddy?
    me:

hehehe... flair is tha master!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast