Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

roll tute... :/ [UPDATED with new, less stiff examples]

yea, i made a roll tute. It will be text based until i upload all the pics. This roll is somewhat similar to a judo roll. anyways, on to the tutelage.

For the first frame, you have the stick figure crouching, back leg bent, and the front leg bent even more. Then, you have his back bent so that his hands (or the ends of his arms) are level with his feet (or the ends of his legs). All four limbs should be touching the ground and leve (just making sure i didnt forget that).

For the second frame, bend the leg that is closest to the arms at the knee joint, and straighten the leg behind it slightly and lift it so it's barely off the ground. Then, with the arm that is closest to the legs, bend the elbow and move it back. For the arm next to it, bend the elbow slightly less and move it back. The arms and the leg closest to the arm (i'll call it leg B) should all be level, or the arms can be below the "ground" idc which, doesnt matter much xD. The position the stick figure so that the bottom of leg B is in the same spot it was in the first frame.

Third Frame: Both arms bend more at the elbow until the elbows are pretty close to the ground, but not touching the ground. Leg B bends even more, and the other leg (now i'll call it leg A) lifts off the ground and straightens a little more. Position leg B so that the bottom is touching the spot it was in the last frame.

Fourth Frame: The arms are now bent horizontally and touching the ground at an angle with the arm that's the farthest away from the legs on the ground. Your stick should now be low, with leg A lifted farther off and just a tiny bit straighter, and with leg B folded even more but still positioned so that the point is in the last point of the onion skin last frame.

Frame Five: Leg A straightens more and kicks up. Leg B Straightens. The back bends more and the arms swing a little backwards. Move the arms so that the stick figure's front elbow is where it was last frame.

Frame 6: The back bends more now, the arms swing even more backward the head is touching the ground, leg B swings almost straight and swings upward, leg A keeps swinging up. The point of the front elbow is where the end of the onion skin of the elbows is.

Frame 7: Elbows fold more until they look like an extension of the head. The head is slightly ahead of the onion skin. The legs are over the head, and crossed, with one straight and the other bent (don't ask why, but it looks ok even when it shouldnt).

Frame 8: The stick keeps rolling over the head, the legs uncross, with both bend, and one lower than the other, ready to connect with the ground. The stick is at an angle, close to being horizontal. The head is where it was in the last frame.

Frame 9: Bring the back up, the leg closest to the ground moves down and straightens slightly, hitting the ground, while the other stays bent and simply moves down a little bit. The arms start to separate.

Frame 10: Keep the bottom of the leg on the ground at the same point, while moving it backwards and straighten it slightly. The other leg keeps moving down. Arms separate more. Back is still moving up.

Frame 11: Knee of the leg on the ground bends a good amount, while the bottom stays in the same place. The leg moves backwards as well. The spine is at an angle close to being straight now, and the arms are more separate than ever.

Frame 12: Leg on ground straightens alot, the spine is vertical, the other leg straightens and moves down, the arms separate more.

Frame 13: The leg on the ground moves backwards (tip stays in the tip of the onion skin) and bends again. the front leg straightens and moves down. Arms separate.

Frame 14: Finish the pose, both legs hit the ground, back is realistically straight.

Heres the finished product (i made it a loop).

And here's the finished product with my sig stick:

and here's the .piv file.
    Here's the edited .piv file, which uses my sig stick. if u use it, gimme cred
    All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
    -Bokonon

WANNA COOKIE?! CLICK!

It looks unrealistic, and using the default without editing it with a two jointed back, was a bad idea, since it looks way too stiff.
    Explanation was alright to give you a positive note.
    [center:161o6f51]LET'S BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUNS WE'RE GOING TO TOWN![/center:161o6f51]
    [center:161o6f51][/center:161o6f51]

Enthusiast
    Yea nice explanation but the roll was pretty stiff and weird looking. when he went down to roll he kind of twitched fix that and it would look better. Nice try at it though I find it pretty hard.

credit to bahamut for sig
    Courtesy?
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69202

Fanatic Enthusiast

Well explained, but using a defalut wasn't a good idea. It looked HORRIBLY stiff.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

lol, sorry about the default. I'll update it with a better stk. as for the twitch, i tried to make it loop, and failed xD. thx for the criticism

EDIT: UPDATED
    -Bokonon

WANNA COOKIE?! CLICK!

Enthusiast
    WTFA thats my stk, credit me you stk ripper
    Animations

Add me If you want, but PM me first.

it's not, i made it from scratch copying the style from this animation

EDIT: also, you never posted .piv files of your animations before, so where would i have got it? let's not forget that for your sticks the legs are thicker than the rest of the body and the limbs, a style i'm really not a fan of.
    -Bokonon

WANNA COOKIE?! CLICK!

Devoted Veteran

It's still looks dodgy.. Nicely explained though.