Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Bolt's Tai-aha Tutorial - ADDED 'SWITCH' - | 56k Warning |

~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.A Tai-aha is a Maori weapon, as shown in the following picture.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You may usually refer to this as a bo-staff, pole or stick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My aim for this tutorial is to help people use this weapon confidently.
    ~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The .pivs for each animation, you can get by clicking the gif of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are a lot of possible positions to stand in, while you aren't fighting with the tai-aha. A great amount of these positions would be defensive. Enough room to defend and a stable position incase of unexpected attacks. Also, a position where you can attack in many directions is reccomended.
    Here is an example of a good position.

This one is best if you expect the attack from the front. But this isn't the best position he could be in.
    It would be better like this:

This gives them more balance in the tai-aha and it's easier to attack from behind.
    You can find your own positions but this is the one I would recommend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~JAB

This is best for close and accurate attacks. Also more effective than a slash because it is harder to defend from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VV Frame 1

^^ This is our beginning stance. Also notice is is defensive.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VV Frame 2

^^ Bend the front leg so he can throw himself foward.
    ^^ Bend his body foward so he can lurch foward at his enemy.
    ^^ Rotate the tai-aha slightly. If it continued at the angle it was in it would jab too low.
    VV Frame 3

^^ Bend the front leg a larger amount so he moves foward more.
    ^^ Slightly turn the tai-aha up but move it foward too.
    ^^ Push the body foward so he can add force into the jab.
    VV Frame 4

^^ Use the legs a lot now. Move his whole body foward.
    VV Frame 5

^^ Use the legs even more. This is a huge movement and this shows the force in the blow.
    VV Frame 6

^^ This is where the tai-aha jabs the other man/stick or jabs the air.
    ^^ Slow everything down a lot.
    VV Frame 7

^^ This frame is entirely for easing, for a smoother jab.

~~~~~~~~~SWITCH - With or Without Trails.

This is a faster movement than Jab. This one looks much better with trails, as shown above.
    VV Frame 1

^^ This is our beginning stance. This is almost the same as Jab's position, therefore called 'Switch', because a Jab could be expected but a Switch will occur instead.
    VV Frame 2

^^ Bend the front leg so he can move fowards
    ^^ Bend his body foward so he can lurch foward at his enemy.
    ^^ Begin to bend the straigher arm above his head.
    ^^ Move the arm in the chicken wing shape back further and bring his hand closer to his shoulder.
    ^^ Rotate the tai-aha slightly. This move includes a large slash. So I'd reccomend looking at my trails examples. Click them above to download the piv, like the Jab picture.
    VV Frame 3

^^ Bend the front leg a larger amount so he moves foward more.
    ^^ Move the tai-aha at a large angle, but not too far so it stays smooth.
    ^^ Move the body foward more, bend the back leg so he pushed his weight to his front foot.
    ^^ Continue to bend the straighter arm around at a large angle, making sure the tai-aha stays roughly in the same place where his hand held it in the previous frames.
    ^^ Tuck the chicken wing arm up further.
    VV Frame 4

^^ Use the legs more and lean him foward.
    ^^ Increase the distance the tai-aha travels in the arc and tuck up the chicken wing further, so the 2 arm joints are on to of each other.
    VV Frame 5

^^ This is the biggest movement in the tai-aha. Move it in a great amount.
    ^^ Slow down the speed he leans at now. He needs to keep his balance.
    ^^ The chicken wing would continue it's trail of motion, moving above the shoulder joint.
    VV Frame 6

^^ This is where the tai-aha hits the other man/stick or hits the air.
    ^^ Slow everything down a lot and begin to ease.
    ^^ Hunch his back a little to show force.
    VV Frame 7

^^ This frame is entirely for easing, and to smoothen the move.
    VV Frame 8

^^ This frame alsois entirely for easing, and to smoothen the move.
    VV Frame 9

^^ Even this frame is entirely for easing, and to smoothen the move

Switch Trail Tips
    If you add trails here are a few tips.
    Continue the trail in an arc. If there is a big movement it would show in the angle the tai-aha is moved in.
    There are a lot of trails you can choose. wereZ blur style is a good idea too. I have just shown 2 that I use.
    A transparent window program is good for making the blurs in the third example I gave. (I used the program called 'froost' and it works good).

I will definitley add more, don't you worry.

Sucks.

Jk, It looks pretty good to me. What else are you going to add?

>: O'UAGH BLUAGH!'
    [url=http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=20114] Courtesy?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeTheSniper
    i got totally owned by my paper cart!

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Very nice tutorial, love the idea behind it, good job.

But i have to say this before lots of n00bs start going STICKE
    NO, this is not going to be stickied, the only tutorials that will be stickied are all round, and look at me and Nevs tutorial'S, they aren't stickied, so this one tutorial, on one thing to do with pivot, will not get stickied, unless bolt decideds to abuse his power's, which I'm sure he won't.
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

wow! another nice one by bolt!

what else btw?

sometimes credit ---> Bolt, FF550 and Droidz.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol
    Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it is awefully hard to get it back in

Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast
    Lawl if you scroll fast down and up it looks like an animation (the pics that is.)

Its good. Mabey too much work ent into it, because it looks great.
    Well explained as expected.

Fanatic Enthusiast

It looks like it will be very nice.
    But I have a small critic. The back doesn't seem to move forward enough, it looks a little stiff, I know that you made the back lean forward a little, but in my opinion, you could have done it a little more and it would have been better.

But it's a good tutorial, can't wait to see more of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Pat
    Lol i tried to follow your instuructions, but then i realised i suck so i gave up................i hate being a noob at pivot.

Good Tut, i'm gonna wallow in my own crapulence

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

very nice tut. There aren't many that teach how to use a weapon. Can't wait to see some more moves being taught in the future

I FUCKING LOVE YE MAN. I really needed this. I've always wanted to learn pivoting TAI-AHA. It's a great tut. Just keep it coming and I would recommend a sticky.
    [center:1dyohg2y]I miss everyone. [/center:1dyohg2y]

STICKEE! :P

Good tutorial, it's good to see a tut that hasn't been done. I'm tired of the countless amounts of 'Kick tus' or 'punch tuts'
    [center:1galr654][/center:1galr654]
    [center:1galr654]SOCIALLY AWKWARD ALAN[/center:1galr654]

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast