Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Any good?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! STICKY!!!! STICKYYYYY!!

62 52.10%
  • Yeah

33 27.73%
  • meh

10 8.40%
  • It sucks

1 0.84%
  • Dude, OMG! you NOoB! go shove this tut up your *insert word here*

13 10.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sneaker's Ultamate Slow-mo tutorial (stickied?)

Okays, please don't take credit for this tutorial, I put a lot of work into it. ( It's my first too.)

VOTE IN THE POLL TOO!!!

Before we start animating slow motion, we first have to understand what it is. All slow motion is is an increase in frame rate, makeing something very fast look slow.

Step one: the Do's and Don'ts of slow mo.

The most important thing I can stress is not to ease into slow mo, it makes it look like the object isn't going fast at all, instead it gives the animation an abstract, out of place look. (If your style is abstract then don't flame, this is MY tutuorial and MY opion, I'm not telling you how to animate.)

Here is the bad example:

Now as you can see with this next one, the slow mo gives the animation a fast paced, cimatic look:

DO:Another DO in slow mo is to make sure the viewers know it's slow-mo, instead of double framing(which just makes it look choppy), make every move in slow mo look smooth, just move it little by little.

DO: Also, another DO in slow mo is to make sure to move everything at the same rate in every frame, this may it gives the whole thing a slow motion look, now, some speed variation is required (someone is walking V.S. running) but don't over do it.

DON'T: Use blurs in slow mo. This may seem obvious, but it really looks tacky in slow mo.

Step 2 utting slow mo into your animations.

Slow motions in animations is generally used to emphasize a miss, highlight a turning point in a fight, show some bullet dodgeing, or just make it look cool. It's your animation, so BE CREATIVE! Over this section I'll go over some tips of where to put slow mo, and why.

Slow mo can save an animation! When there is no other way to make it look smooth/ it just looks weird, or you can't make your stickman keep up with the action, slow it down, go through each movement carefully, slowing it down will work it out.

Example: (one of my older, crappy ani's but still gets my point across. If anyone has a better one they want to sumbit to this tutorial, PM me.)

See, there was almost no way to make the first hit in the combo look smooth and "right" without slow mo, so I slowed it down and it worked out.

Slow mo can also be used to indicate speed. (but how!?!? it's slow) If you contrast with a fast movement, and then suddenly drop into slow-motion it will look as if it is faster, or you can use an object that is assosiated with speed (bullet, car ext...) to indicate that the animation is going fast.

Example:

Notice how the blurs lead into slow motion, makeing the animation as a whole look fast paced.

Another Pro to slow motion is when you want to highlight any part in a fight. Maybe a missed hit, a powerful hit, or a turning point. Honestly, I recommend watching the Xiao series for this tip, the slow motion is well done there.

Example:

Last but not least, BE CREATIVE! work slow motion into your animation in a unique way, be original wow your veiwers.

Step 3 Using effects with slow mo.

One really common effect in slow motion is an after image. In pivot it is pretty easy, all you do is layer a lighter color stick figure underneath your main stick. This can be hard if you have trouble animating without the onion skin, my advice it to just put your stick that is your main one (usually black) and make it a lighter color (gray) then you just add another on top of it. Then repeat, deleting the afterimage, changing color, then adding a new stick.

Example:

If done properly, it can add a really neat effect to your animations, if you're really good, you can add multiple layers for an even greater effect.

Another effect, although tough, is a 3d effect. It involves makeing a series of sticks that give the object (knife, bullet ext..) a 3d look, a way to add slow motion to this effect is to make more of this stick in a certian spot. A good animation to look at is Kev_man's (begginers hall2 2nd page I just sent him a pm, and will update if he dicides to let me use it, if not, I'll make one myself.)

Of course, you can make many effects using slow motion (bullet time, and whatnot.) but this tutorial is just the basics to inspire you. I hoped you learned the basics of slow motion, and how to effectivly impliment into your animations.

Step 4 Timeing.

While it is important to know how to do slow motion, and where it is good for effects, you must also time it right too. Different timing of going in and out of slow motion can have different effects on your animation. I recommend watching The Matrix.

Slow mo before a strike. No matter what strike it is, slow-motion can give it the awe inspiring, awsome move affect, and give your viewers time to see what's comeing next, or even to make them not see what's coming next (your stick is about to punch another stick, but right after the slow motion, the other stick strikes before yours.)
    Example:
    Notice the 3rd triple kick, the slow mo makes it look more powerful.

Slow mo after a strike can give the veiwers a sence of toughness of the opponent, "OMG! ther hero just got hit! this guy's tough!" A chance to catch up with the action, or even make it look like the guy was going so fast that the"slow motion timer" didn't kick in fast enough.
    example:

Slow motion during a strike can suggest a powerful hit, a turning point, a dramatic moment or even just make it look cool.

Now the best way to time slow motion is to mix it up, don't always use the same place in your sticks movement to go into slow mo, it can make the animation as a whole look boring.

The most important thing is to Be inspired and BE CREATIVE!!! use slow mo to help you animations out in interesting ways.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Very nice start. I hope this tutorials ends up looking good by the end =P

Slow motion is better than double framing for sure.

Enthusiast
    Pretty shweet
    And another reason for slow-mo, is that so when something is going really fast, the viewer can tell what it is.BTW great tut.I read every last bit of it, and I hope you finish it

Quote Originally Posted by BN
    sangwitches

Fanatic Enthusiast

Wow can't wait for you to finish.

Sure rapes double-framing.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunk man

Sure rapes double-framing.
    Says you
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast
    Yea double framing is gay. Really nice job on this tut. Well explained and all. Nice job.

credit to bahamut for sig
    Courtesy?
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69202

Dedicated Member
    woa, this isnt bad.....i especially like the last one. having a slow mo on a big fight move brings up the intensity like a monkey. lol. great job! keep racking it out!
    [center:1jjj1d7k]|Thread|Medieval Clan|Weapons Collab|[/center:1jjj1d7k]
    [center:1jjj1d7k][/center:1jjj1d7k]
    [center:1jjj1d7k][/center:1jjj1d7k]
    [spoiler:1jjj1d7k][center:1jjj1d7k][/center:1jjj1d7k]
    [center:1jjj1d7k][img]http://www.**********.com/img/1270162415.png[/img][/center:1jjj1d7k][/spoiler:1jjj1d7k]

Enthusiast
    Great tut!

Its not anothejr normal walk tut or anything something new..i haven't seen a slow mo tut? you use it very well.
    Cool pivot forum its becoming big
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/pivotjoint/ ... hp?act=idx

Thread= http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18262

Thanks Kyle.

Beginners thread Mar 11th 2007-July 5th-2007
    Inters thread July 5th 2007-

Thanks for all the replies, I was wondering, should I make more examples of what you can do with effects in slow motion? I kinda want you guys to be creative.

Quote Originally Posted by lightnin7
    Yea double framing is gay.
    says. you.
    I'm gay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast