Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Did this help at all

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 17.39%
  • Yes (incresing my chances hehehe)

2 8.70%
  • Some what

2 8.70%
  • A bit

4 17.39%
  • IT"S AWWWSS...SUCK

11 47.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cars in Pivot Tut by ~~Flare Knight~~ 52kb Warning

I've been doing a lot of car animations and I've been trying not to tell my secret. But how foolish of me to do it anyway so here it goes.
    ATTENTION, THIS IS FOR PIVOT 3 NOT 2. THE SPRITE PART HOWEVER, IS NOT IMPORTANT FOR THOSE WITH PIVOT 2. IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT SPRITES, THAN LEAVE NOW
    What you will need is:
    -An Internet Browser (I don't know how you go here without one
    -Pivot
    -And a picture editing program. Photoshop works best, but since my computer messes it up again, I have to use Paint. Still works tough.

First off, you need a picture of whatever angle you need the car in, best to use in 2-d animations is a side view. If you need different views, you need the car at different angles but the same color. You have 2 choices from here

A.. Search on google is an easy but fusturating way, because you don't get what you want all the time

B. Go on the official car company's website. For example, go onto the BMW website, find a nice car (M5) and make your own, find a nice side view. One some occasions, you may need to press CTRL+Print Screen to capture the picture. Do try to find an image with a white background or one color background (faded colors and fading whites are killers, watch what you look at). Sometimes, they may have 360 views, alowing you to get as many angles of the car as you want.

Now that you're done, open it up on paint. If you Print Screened it, go into paint, click on the Edit tabe and click "Paste". Select only the car and take it out on a new sheet.

This is the most important part now. You must erase everything that's not the car. Get the eraser, and start going around it, CAREFULLY. Some spots that seems white aren't white so the whole thing must be WHITE (except the car if you didn't just erase now) This will take a good 20-40 minutes but it's worth it.

After that, you're done! You can now save it and put it on pivot! . Below are some different things you can do

Making it look Animated- If you have a problem with sprites, and they way they look, you can always try to make it look animated. First get the car you already eased out. Then, get a tool that selects a color on the picture (or you can make your own). Start coloring the parts that are that color, example paint the red parts red. The reason for doing this is to make it a solid color so it looks better when animated. Carefull tough that you don't make it sloopy. Photoshop would work better but since I have problems installing the dam'n thing, I had it done on MS paint. Anyway, it's better you get a basic car (one without decals, vinyls or two tone colors). As an example I tried to do it with a Bugatti Veyron here, It's coming out fine isn't it?

You can also leave some details on it or simply leave it alone. Here's an example of the Lotus Elise that was used in the end of Dynasty Street. Notice that it blends in with the animation at this part, but is also life like.

Drag Races- If you collected a few cars, you can make them do a drag race. Do follow their specs do! (We can't have Toyota Camarys beating the crap out of Lamborghinis don't we) Blurs, effects, and speed is vital here. I just put a picutre because I don't have ideas (and time)

Posing- This is good for a sig. Put the car on a background with a sig, stk figure, whatever you feel like doing. Everything comes out go when all the other colors on the background of the car, are erased in the editing process.

Cruising- A continious loop with the car just cruisin' down the way. I didn't do anything here cause I was runnin out of ideas. Will update though.

Ideas

Wheels- You can erase the wheels from the car and use them as a seperate sprite so that the wheels can look like they're moving. Make sure it's perfectly round tough (ok not perfect perfect but close)

Burnouts- Just make the cars wheels spin standing still. Look for the wheels going around fast and smoke. Example

Customization- Custom make it. You can do what you want to the car but don't go way to far.

Here is some final results of some more car anims to give you Ideas. Hope it helped!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvQHKpXySCo --Mini Copper Chase
    http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6476 ... st1mb0.gif

~~~Flare Knight
    Will edit more when I think of something

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

A tip when animating with any sprite -

You want it to look at animated as possible!

You do release that animating with a car sprite is one of the dumbest things you can do. This tutorial is well explained, but the idea of animating with a car sprite, PHAILS.

And btw.. the last picture massacres the layout, so remove the img tags....

As you command

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev

You do release that animating with a car sprite is one of the dumbest things you can do. This tutorial is well explained, but the idea of animating with a car sprite, PHAILS.

so mean... but so true. most people dont use sprites like this anyways, and since it looks very stiff, it is not so good to do. its a good idea, and its helpful, but it just doesnt look good.
    R.I.P. Mom n Dad

I break obstacles...
    I break stereotypes...
    I break prejudice...
    I break assumptions...
    I break all opponents...
    ...who stand before me.
    I'm a bboy, and i break to any beat.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Sorry, but I won't ever use it..... teh sprites just look to out of place, and well, stupid. I would prefer just making a stick file.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

Enthusiast
    when saved as gif it rapes all sprites colors ..Makes them look distorted a fake..
    very well tut on what is needed but no sprites for me, thanks.
    Cool pivot forum its becoming big
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/pivotjoint/ ... hp?act=idx

Thread= http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18262

Thanks Kyle.

Beginners thread Mar 11th 2007-July 5th-2007
    Inters thread July 5th 2007-

Quote Originally Posted by Nev

If you're not going to use it you don't need to say anything about it then. You don't want it, fine don't even look here. You haven't even mentioned on how the tut is consturcted.

P.S. People kill cars by making them in stk form. You don't get it's look

Enthusiast
    lol on the last pic you drew stuff on it on ms paint lol
    how poor
    good tut but not good subject
    basicly a car sprite doesn't fit in with the background
    you are way better off using werez' ones
    harrow 0_o

Hmmm.

Good idea but bad examples. The fact is sprite cars do not animate well in pivot. I think i'll just stick to pivot made cars for now.

At least your trying to contribute to the forum!

BuMp
    I edited to make everyone happy on making it look animated. Big update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast