Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Pivot tips! (Feel free to submit your own!)

This thread is for tips. The purpose is to share your pivot tips with others! I will start off with one tip. This will help many people.

If you decide to submit a tip please fill this out. (make sure to copy and paste, then bold each one)

Tip Name:
    Description:
    What to do:

And here are the tips!

LeoTHELion
    Tip Name: Foot placement
    Description: Many people have bad foot placement on stickfigures and the feet jiggle around a lot. This is BAD.
    What to do: So to fix this, click on “create new stickfigure”. Then make the thickness of the line 0. Next, click on the button that will make the stickfigure “static”. Then add it to the animation. Name it “mark, or marker”. As this will mark where the foot goes. Now, click on the ‘back’ button so that the mark will be in the back. Place it under the ‘pivot point’ where the ‘heel’ of a foot is, and just keep the marker in the same spot so that you know where the foot goes every time! Note: this doesn’t really work with camera movements. But it helps with backgrounds and times where you don’t have an onion skin.

Snowy
    Tip Name: Trailing help
    Description: This makes the trail look alot better
    What to do: when your using the spike trail, make it follow the onion skin for a better look.

royster
    Tip name: Realism help.
    Description: Helps to make animations look more realistic.
    What to do: To make your animations more realistic you need to first think what it would look like in the real world, and then put into pivot. If it doesn't look good it means you either make it to fast or slow. If it's choppy, add more easing. If it's stiff add more movement in the animation. Remember that for fast movements it's better to use heavy spacing and for slow motions use slow, smooth movements. A great example is FD and Wojak, their style is realism.
    Xmpt: Yep, most CGI animators do it too.

Flare Knight
    Tip Name: Make animations less choppy
    Description: Another tip to a better animation
    What to do: Take your time in animating. Maybe where every you downloaded pivot in the first place says "Make animations fast!". It's just an other way of animating. Move a bit by bit and don't rush. Every joint must move every frame. When saving as a gif, double the speed of the animation (the scroll bar) and save as 6-8 frame bit rates. [Leo says, for FireFox, save at 2 for super fast, for any browser, save it at 6 for normal speed.]

frodo5280
    Tip Name: Stiffness tip
    Description: A tip on how to make your animations less stiff.
    What to do: The arms on a stick figure determine alot on how stiff your figure looks. so if you figure was falling or jummping, the instead of his arms being straight on his sides, his arms would go with anertia. His arms would try to go in the same exact place as they were before, so they would follow the onion skin

Pistol

Tip Name: Blood effects
    Description: Take a guess.
    What to do: To animate basic blood, make a circle 4px width and 0 size, Shrink it down every 3 frames and move it one px every frame for an awesome blood, Please note, use more than one particle.

Bolt
    Tip Name: Flipping
    Description: How to make flips look reasonably real.
    What to do: http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=22070 - This is a trailing tutorial by buddz. It's the best tutorial on Onion-skin following I can find. This is a major step in flipping.

There's a quick flip I made. Notice how the legs flow through from the last frames? That's what needs to be done. Make sure each position in the air looks realistic too and that the physics are proper and it'll look great.

battlestix 4.5
    Name: Animating Backwards
    Description: Sometimes its hard to animate the frames leading up to the end of a movement. So its often easier to animate this in reverse.
    What To Do: (Example: A Kick) Simply make a frame with the movement already completed. Then insert a frame behind it. or move down a kick. But only slightly, then insert a frame behind that one, Make his leg start to bend and come down more, and inserting frames behind the current frame, moving back and down (the leg). And eventually into a standing position. I dont recommend this for beginners because it will simply complicate things, althought those with some experiance should be able to use this tip on have movments that they cant seem to figure out.

Xmpt (thank you)
    I got 3 for you. 1 unique one and the glitches one is extremely helpful, but the frame rate one is just for people to wanna understand it my way :P

Tip Name: Moving annoying sticks. Small stick movements*
    Description Sticks to small? Red joint mover in your way?
    What to do MKAY. I'm sure a lot of you have been in the position of having a stick to small to be turned. Well, there is a remedy, simply click on any point and increase the size, then click on the part your want to rotate, and tab your way to the change size box. From there, get it highlighted which it should do automatically and while still holding tab, switch the size via your number keys. It will make the stick small and you already have control over the stick for turning.

Tip Name: Frame Rates
    Description: I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN DONE 50 million times before! >_>
    What tah do yah say? A common question to less advanced pivot users is, "wut fraim do i use??". 18 (the default) is more for a slower paced animation. Tell them to bump it up a little to a frame rate 21 (common frame rate). There they will see an increase of speed thus making the animations more fluid. A key component in reaching higher ranks. Finally, there is 24. 24 is a dramatic increase in speed. NOT A BAD THING, as some would say. If you ease your animations and make tiny movements then this is for you. 24 will give you an extreme fluidity (but must be used correctly, you can't make some shit and expect it to be godlike... Honestly :P), but of course will require more time.

Example of a 24 frame rate animation by me. (It got me vets *woot*)
    http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ght3bj.gif

Tip Name: Avoiding Glitches. Must read :O
    Description: Ummmnn I dunno, something about avoiding glitches. Don't worry, you'll figure it out.
    What to do: This is something that most EVERYBODY should read. Trust me, I've probably experienced the whole lot of them.
    The first bastard I'm going to talk about is the re-occuring "invalid operation blah blah 0002010204". You know? The one where it pops up on the screen 50 million times? I sure do. A way that I've found to get around it is to click on the first frame before you play any animation that you haven't played in a while. This even happens to animations you may have recently downloaded.
    The next hassle is the "Invalid floating operation". God, I hate these. This tends to happen when you make a stick that has more than 25- 100 stick segments roughly. It doesn't officially happen until you make a rotatable part of the stick. Then when you incorporate it into an animation and try to rotate that stick. BOOM. Your bound to have this happen. Most people will think "Omg, my stick... I wasted 1 hour on you :O". Don't get your hopes down. Yes, you probably will have to remake the stick. Try to put that in the past. The trick to making the stick next time is to USE LESS STICKS. Increase the size of one stick to 50 or even 100 if it decreases the amount of sticks. I'm pretty positive that will help you not get that error so much. Theres probably many glitches I've missed. Piv. 3 can be downloaded from Darkdemon HERE so that you don't have to read the "Readme error". It's very annoying, so I'd recommend it :P (It doesn't stop the other glitches mind you...)
    R.I.P. Mom n Dad

I break obstacles...
    I break stereotypes...
    I break prejudice...
    I break assumptions...
    I break all opponents...
    ...who stand before me.
    I'm a bboy, and i break to any beat.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

I think they had one of these before... but the idea is good...

I will add sine tips soon. This is also good for organizing... Don't have to look around so much for beginner's in a comment =p

Enthusiast
    No onions kin animating.
    Made this one my self
    Alright so what you have is your stick figure just standing there right?
    Well add a duplicate of that stick to the anim and make him appear behind the original so like click back so hes behind every layer. Now you can't see him.
    Align the pivot dots to where the original dots are and make it nso it looks as if there is only one stick. Click next frame.
    Now move the original......You have somewhat of a onion skin because of where the pivot dots are.
    Get me or no?
    Sux....no I always use this.
    Anyone that wants to see my animations will have to go to another site to view them. pivot-place look us up.

For more animations like this you should hop on over to http://www.pivot-place.org/vb
    There are some awesome animators there.

Enthusiast
    move all limbs at all times on a moving stick man but make that direction constant otherwise the limbs sorta rumble about
    harrow 0_o

Enthusiast
    Your supose to use the format

What to do: when your using the spike trail, make it follow the onion skin for a better look.
    Cool pivot forum its becoming big
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/pivotjoint/ ... hp?act=idx

Thread= http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18262

Thanks Kyle.

Beginners thread Mar 11th 2007-July 5th-2007
    Inters thread July 5th 2007-

Roy
    Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy_Pivot
    Your supose to use the format

And make it grow bigger when it moves faster so it'll look even better.

Tip name: Realism help.
    Description: Helps to make animations look more realistic.
    What to do: To make your animations more realistic you need to first think what it would look like in the real world, and then put into pivot. If it doesn't look good it means you either make it to fast or slow. If it's choppy, add more easing. If it's stiff add more movement in the animation. Remember that for fast movements it's better to use heavy spacing and for slow motions use slow, smooth movements. A great example is FD and Wojak, their style is realism.

Hope that helped. Be back later

Tip Name: Make animations less choppy
    Description: Another tip to a better animation
    What to do: Take your time in animating. Maybe where every you downloaded pivot in the first place says "Make animations fast!". It's just an other way of animating. Move a bit by bit and don't rush. Every joint must move every frame. When saving as a gif, double the speed of the animation (the scroll bar) and save as 6-8 frame bit rates.

Sound good?

in a diffrent parallel universe sorrounded by krimmopahic calls that diverts the power of the void
    um... er.... put the frame speed at 6 in gif options?
    look in the couch and see a distinctive head.

head: who's yo' daddy?
    me:

hehehe... flair is tha master!

Fanatic Enthusiast

Tip Name: Stiffness tip
    Description: A tip on how to make your animations less stiff.
    What to do: The arms on a stick figure determine alot on how stiff your figure looks. so if you figure was falling or jummping, the instead of his arms being straight on his sides, his arms would go with anertia. His arms would try to go in the same exact place as they were before, so they would follow the onion skin.

Tip Name: Blood effects
    Description: Take a guess.
    What to do: To animate basic blood, make a circle 4px width and 0 size, Shrink it down every 3 frames and move it one px every frame for an awesome blood, Please note, use more than one particle.
    [center:1dyohg2y]I miss everyone. [/center:1dyohg2y]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast