Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making life-bars

Right, me first tut, mostly for beginners.
    When u make a life-bar, u should make an outline stick (fig. 1)
    Then, make another stick which's length should be left alone, it's the thickness which is important. You see the outline? (fig. 1) You have to check the LENGTH of the shorter, vertical line. in my case, it's 19. Now the outline stick's line's thickness is 5, right? so, you'll have to take that 5 from the 19, which is 14. So, 14 should be the thickness of the health meter itself. Now, add this stick to your animation. make it the color u want the life-bar to be (i made it green) and while it's selected, click on th "back" button (this is so the outline covers it) now put it into the outline (fig. 2).

The prob is, that the end of the life-bar sticks out. THAT'S why you'll need a rectangle like on fig. 3! put this to the edge of the outline, and color it white (or whatever color the background is). ta-da!now put more life-bar pieces into the outline 'til it's filled, and put one of those big rectangles on the other side of the outline (fig. 4).
    If you want, you can put the outline to the edge of the screen, then you'll need one less cover-rectangle.

Now, if your background isn't just white, but has some kinda picture or something, then the life-bar-filler will have to be a rectangle. Remember that the simple life-bar-filler's thickness had to 14? right, so for the rectangle life-bar-filler, you should draw a rectangle using 3 line thickness. The vertical line's lenght should be 14 - 3 = 11 (see above why).fill this up (i've shown you my method of doing this on the bottom pic). Add it to your ani and ta-da! there u have it. Put it in more times, and u can fill the outline as u please.
    U can make the meter move by moving the fillers, OR by putting a white filler into the outline and use that.

There.
    http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Zamb ... arbej2.piv

good 1st tut i guess i already knew it but it was informative ( got confused at some parts ) and nice diagrams.

good job!

Could you post the .piv file please? Very nice tut for your first!

That is very helpfull for begginers.

Well done.

Great tut.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Very good tutorial, I've seem some life bars with rounded edges, and it looks wrong. :P

The topic was pretty simple, but well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

i dunno if this happened to anyone else, but you totally killed the layout man!

nice tut tho, quite useful.

Okay, i have put a .piv up, and made the picture more compact. It's great that u guys like it.
    Btw, nice sig, Xziggy. I laughed my ass off XD

Old Newbie
    Pretty good tut. It helped me alot except that it was a little hard to understand, I had to read it a few times to get it. Maybe you could make it step by step...its a little messy

Click sig for my animations

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Nice job on that. It gives pictures and description, and everything a tutorial needs. I just don't like the layout of the tut, it's a little messy.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Yes, the layout is kinda crappy, but the tutorial is great.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast