Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tahrok's Smoke Turorial

TAHROK'S SMOKE TUTORIAL
    First tutorial, don't criticize too much...

Description: For those of you who don't know how to make smoke that grows and dissipates smoothly and efficiently, This tutorial will show you exactly how. It's very simple, really. There are only two sticks that I use, although you could easily incorporate
    more. I haven't tried, but I'm sure it would add a little realism to the smoke by using more sticks. The two that I use are:

Yes, they look similar, but that doesn't really matter. If you need them, get them here and here. This is what you will be making.

Frame 1: Start out with something like a smoke bomb, or maybe just a stickman. You just need something that will create smoke.
    I just used a gray ball.

Frame 2: Put about two cloud (cloud 1 or cloud 2) sticks on your figure (placement does not matter, you just need it to look like it is coming from where you want it to be coming from), both at size 10 and at color:

Sorry, I couldn't put an image here. My figure was too big to start off with such small sticks, so I deleted the two frames where you would start.

Frame 3: Next, you need to enlarge both of those two sticks from 10 to 20. The standard order for enlarging sticks is this: 10, 20, 30, 38, 45, 50, 55 and from here you continue to increase by intervals of 5. This makes the smoke look like it is growing, but not steadily. The next part of this step is to add one or two (I would recommend two, you'll see why later) of your cloud sticks, both at size 10, on the edge of your other size 20 cloud sticks.

Frame 4: Enlarge your two size 20 sticks to size 30. Enlarge your size 10 sticks to size 20. Add two cloud sticks on the edge of the smoke. So far, I have this:

IMPORTANT: Make sure your floor stick is in front of your smoke.

Frame 5: Repeat frame 4 until your smoke is as big as you need it to be, or until all your sticks are going up by intervals of 5. Here is my frame 7 and my last frame before dissipation:
    7:

Last (14):

Dissipation:
    Dissipation is very simple.

Frame 1 [Dissipation]: Continue to make the smoke grow. Do not forget to do this. Now, place a size 10 white cloud (this cloud depends on your background color) in the middle of the smoke. Depending on the size of your smoke, you might need to place 2 of these clouds.

Frame 2 [Dissipation]: Enlarge all of your smoke sticks. Enlarge your white cloud sticks to 20 and add another white size 10 cloud stick. The standard order for the white sticks is 10, 20, 30, etc. by tens.

The rest: To finish this off, you continue to make the white stick larger. Do not forget to enlarge your gray smoke sticks! If you insist on seeing the .piv, here it is.

Tip # 1: There are alternate versions of using this technique, and I found this one to be most efficient and useful. Experiment and have fun! Patience is everything.

Tip # 2: If you are impatient, or you just are in a hurry, you can make the smoke grow quickly (Like this: 10, 30, 50, 60, 65, 68, 70, 71, 72) and the dissipation cloud go up in intervals of, say, 15 or 20. It looks good all the same.

Update: Spell check complete.

If you come to this thread to tell me that this is an old effect, LEAVE, because your slimy face is not wanted here.
    Courtesy?

I support the Courtesy rule.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

It's a little short, seeing as you only gave a few picture examples, but it is still a very good tutorial. It shows both the small to large cloud process, and then the fade, and the example is fairly good.

One thing I can suggest though, is that you provide a .gif example of the end result to.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Very nice tutorial for a first. I was wondering how everyone made these awsome smoke effects lately.

Link
    There's the gif file for you.
    Well you taught an elite something with that tutorial so you know you did a good job.
    -FD

Fanatic Enthusiast

Not bad! It's a good effect, but I just think the smoke dissipated too slowly in your example. I'll try it out sometime.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

Enthusiast

Wow FD pretty sweet. I like the tutorial, but like they said. It's to short, add some more pictures to it. I don't think the smoke should stay in place while the inside spreads out. The smoke should get larger while the inside spreads out.

Ell Zii: It does.

FD: I'm honored! lol Thanks!

Master list, hopefullymabeywannabecouldbe?
    Courtesy?

Enthusiast

I'm talking about frame1 and frame2. They look the same except the inside is spreading.

Afraid I don't understand... The inside spreads out? The first frame is just a ball, while the second has smoke on it.
    Courtesy?

Enthusiast
    well I think the smoke should had of eased to a stop of growing it just seemed to keep growing even when it was dissolving. Nice tut though well explained.

credit to bahamut for sig
    Courtesy?
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69202

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahrok
    Master list, hopefullymabeywannabecouldbe?
    hell yeah!
    click the image for courtesy

old thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast