Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fighting stance/Balance general tutorial

ok, so here's what I realize is wrong in a bunch of fighting anims. People don't look at real fights and animate them. they're just concerned about makeing one guy punch another guy, which is completely wrong.

WHen you're fighting, you always want to have sure footing. You are also always supposed to be poised for attack. Here's the WRONG way to do it.

As you can see, he went from a relaxed position (completely vulnerable) to randomly punching. here's a normal fighting stance, for fist fights, such as boxing.

As you can see, he has his feet slightly spread apart. This spread his weight out more, and gives him a wider point of balance. Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about:

The green circle represents the center of gravity for our stick figure. The red arrows represent the contact points, and where the force is upon contact. The center of gravity should be equally placed between the contact points. The wider the contact points are spread, the less chance he has of being knocked off balance, because his center of gravity can move farther in either direction, and still be relatively close to the center of the contact points.

You'll also notice in this stance he has his hands up in a fashion that allows him to defend himself, while always being prepared to take a jab at the opponent, never leaving himself full open to attack. His head is also slight ducked benether his hands.

now, if you're making a king-fu animation, the stance is a bit different. Here's an example:

There isn't a definate "kung fu", or martial arts fighting, stance. Anything that provides solid footing, and hints that the stance is meant to punch, kick, and defend form any angle at any time, indicates a good martial arts stance. Also refer to any martial arts expo video, or any video including bruce lee.

So, remember, ALWAYS use correct balance when planning a stance for a fighter, unless you want your fighter to look inexperienced.
    I'm gay.

Fanatic Enthusiast Fuddermuffin's Avatar

Re: Fighting stance/Balance general tutorial

Nice tut. I see this in many fighting animations. Hell, I do it too cause i'm just too lazy to put the stick in the right position.
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1221454788.gif[/img] - Click Clack
    Steam ID: Fuddermuffin (Team Fortress 2)

Enthusiast
    The bottom example makes my eyes burn..Mabye slow it down?
    Cool pivot forum its becoming big
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/pivotjoint/ ... hp?act=idx

Thread= http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18262

Thanks Kyle.

Beginners thread Mar 11th 2007-July 5th-2007
    Inters thread July 5th 2007-

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy_Pivot
    The bottom example makes my eyes burn..Mabye slow it down?
    WHy would I do that? It'd make the anim choppy. It's only purpose is to show the versatility of a kung fu fighting stance, nothing more.
    I'm gay.

Old Newbie
    That realy helped thank you.

even though on this froum i'm called destiny... Good time good times

Fanatic Enthusiast

Cool, I know about this and use it. But I'm very glad to see a tutorial on it.
    It should help tons of people, unless they are trying to make their fights unrealistic. Because I see this a lot. When some people's sticks would be falling over because they are leaning over too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

This will definitely help some people make more serious animations, nice job... but there are certain cartoonish styles, that just look better the other ways.

Old Newbie
    coolness
    (^_((<0_0>) BUT SECKZ

Quote Originally Posted by Opium
    coolness
    hey man, don't bump old topics, and don't use one word posts.
    I'm gay.

My signature contents were to big and therefore removed by an Admin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast