Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Blood :: Justin's Philosophy

How the Fuck Justin Makes that God Damn Blood:

Chapter 1. Practice.
    Chapter 2. Who the Fuck Just Hit Me?
    Chapter 3. How Long is it?
    Chapter 4. How does it Pull?
    Chapter 5. Can I Break that Up?
    Chapter 6. ZOMG I CAN MAKE THEM STAY ON SCREEN!?!??!?!?!?!?WTFBBQ!?!?!?!

Chapter 1: Practice
    Any good pivoter will tell you they have been in the animation game for at least a year. In my experience, the folks I have met (mostly at wwwDarkdemon.org) that i consider exceptionally good, have been pivoting longer than I have (2 years < ). Now obviously the 2 years i have been slappin out Animations i must have been doing SOMETHING inbetween working on said released animations. That would be PRACTICING. I practice at least 5 times a day, creating 5 practice animations focusing on animation basics. Now this tutorial is all about blood, so i'll share a few tips when practicing blood:

1. ALWAYS have 2 stkmen in the animation. Have one strike the other in some way, and create blood from that wound. This way you are getting in practice with body movements, physics, and of course blood.
    2. DON'T make some weak ass 3 line blood. Fuck that shit. Make it lots of stks with lots of shapes. You need the practice with particles most likely anyway, and this helps.
    3. KEEP AWAY from using other people's blood sticks. This cripples you, horribly. And it makes you look like a Bitch.

Chapter 2. Who the Fuck Just Hit Me?
    At this point, you should have an animation with someone about to strike another with something that will produce blood. The questions you need to be asking is:
    1. How will man 1 strike man 2.
    2. How heavy is the object? (or hand force)
    3. How much force is being applied?
    4. What direction is the object being swung?

All of these questions are very important when creating the blood. First of all, you need to know how man 1 will strike man 2. If he is stabbing, you are going to create lengthy straight blood comming from the wound from BOTH sides. If he is slashing, then the blood will follow the force of the swing, and then commit to gravity pull. The heavier the object, the thicker the blood. No doubt. It just gives the "this weapon is fucking heavy" look. I don't know how to describe it. Then you need to ask how much force is being applied? If the weapon is being swung upward in a slashing motion, and a lot of force is being applied, then the blood should fly out quickly. If the weapon is being swung slow, the blood comes out a little slower and commits to gravity quicker. Lastly, the direction of the swing controls where the blood is going.

Chapter 3. How Long is it?
    Blood length/thickness depends on force of the object, weight of the object, and direction of the object being swung.
    If the force of the object is low,the weight of the object is light, and the direction is swing downward, then the blood will be small lines going downard quickly while changing shape and breaking into smaller clumps. The force of the object controls how much blood there is. The weight of the object controls what shapes dominate the blood. If the object is heavy like a mace, the blood is thicker and more square-like. If the object is lighter, such as a sword, then the blood is more stringy, and line based. The direction controls the gravity pull of the blood when it comes out. If the object is swung upward, then the blood will come up, and then quickly come down. If the object is swung sideways to the left, then the blood will most likely come out sideways to the left and slowly go to the ground.

Chapter 4. How Does it Pull?
    Gravity plays one of the biggest roles in your blood. ALWAYS make your blood pull downward at some point. Force/Weight of the object is what plays a huge role for when gravity kicks in. More Force + More Weight = Blood goes further + longer before gravity kicks in.

Chapter 5. Can i Break that Up?
    Blood should change shape EVERY frame. If you are gonna be lazy gtfo of my tutorial right now. Good blood takes effort. Now in my experience, i have found that when making blood size 3 stk thickness is good. After every frame, break that line up into 2 pieces. In the 3rd frame, you should have 3-4 pieces from that original 1 blood line. I like to do 2 blood lines and 1 blood ball until i stop replicating. I think using 3 stks is a good amount of breakage. I change size of all stks every 2 frames. If you go with size 3, you should have AT LEAST 6 frames of blood. I normally go with 9 frames. 6 for the directional breakage, and then 3-4 frames of the blood committing to gravity.

Chapter 6. ZOMG I CAN MAKE THEM STAY ON SCREEN!?!??!?!?!?!?WTFBBQ!?!?!?!
    Not all blood has to evaporate. In a lot of my animations, you'll see the blood hits the ground and a splatter stick emerges. This is a very cool technique to use in pivot because nobody else has the balls to keep the blood stks on the screen for more than 5 frames. Splatter stks should have at least 4 smaller particles around the main splatter. Creativity is big on this part in blood.

[EXTRAS]
    ---------------
    ::: How do i create blood in pivot? :::
    Go to google, and search for "Windows Transparency Program". This tool is a must for making blood. It allows you to make a window see-through. Basically, you make the stk creating window transparent, and that way you can build off of the blood from the previous scene.
    http://chimetv.com/tv/products/glass2k/Glass2k.exe
    This is the program i use. Its simple and easy to understand.

Credits to Fraz for my Sweet Signature.
    THE JUSTIN
    SHEER TERRAR
    My New Animation Thread:
    http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48316

If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?
    Nice blood tut,
    It is a great help for me,
    It should of had pictures / screenshots of The pivot

Old Newbie
    Yea it was indeed a good tut thanks!

even though on this froum i'm called destiny... Good time good times

Fanatic Enthusiast

Great tut! And it's good to see that you want people to have their own style, instead of you giving pictures and having them copy your style. I'll be sure to check back and re-read this when I need to do some blood.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

Fanatic Enthusiast Fuddermuffin's Avatar

I've never really done blood before, so this is gonna REALLY help me. Some pictures or your sexy blood animations would be nice though And whats with all the fucking cussing, unless you were pissed off while making this tut lol.
    It's amazing how you make a new blood stick every frame with transparency program. GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD!
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1221454788.gif[/img] - Click Clack
    Steam ID: Fuddermuffin (Team Fortress 2)

Enthusiast
    Your blood is fucking sexy to bad u didn't put pictures :P

Nice tut though.
    Cool pivot forum its becoming big
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/pivotjoint/ ... hp?act=idx

Thread= http://www.darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18262

Thanks Kyle.

Beginners thread Mar 11th 2007-July 5th-2007
    Inters thread July 5th 2007-

well, you can't exactly have pictures for a philosophy, now can you?\

Thanks Justin, this really helped.. I mean WOULD help if my god dang computer isn't so gay that it can't even run transparency programs without being so slow. :/

stupid gay retarded computer ftl D=

oh well, I'll download it when I get my new computer.. a week before summer break is ober. D= Still... it'll be awesome to have a computer that doesn't freeze every single day.

~Shadow~
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

Dedicated Member
    The reason i didn't add pictures is because:
    1. I'm too lazy to do all that work.
    2. You don't need pictures, you need practice doing it your fucking self.
    3. Pictures kill originality. If i put a picture with each idea, then it takes away your imagination making up what YOU think i'm talkin about.

Credits to Fraz for my Sweet Signature.
    THE JUSTIN
    SHEER TERRAR
    My New Animation Thread:
    http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48316

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    The reason i didn't add pictures is because:
    1. I'm too lazy to do all that work.
    2. You don't need pictures, you need practice doing it your fucking self.
    3. Pictures kill originality. If i put a picture with each idea, then it takes away your imagination making up what YOU think i'm talkin about.

Damn straight to be original you need to use your imagination so do it!!!!

and justin great tut im learning loads from this tut

<3 Justin !......................................! this musch

Byronic! Home of the mentally creative.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

You must love cursing.... some people have filters you know...

It's good, but I do think pictures would help a lot... I love your style of blood though and hope to see some people trying to work off of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast