Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Cutting Sprites (56 K warning)

Programs Needed: Paint, Gimp (or any other program with a transparency tool)
    Skills Needed: Patience

Bolded words are links
    Programs will be labeled red
    The summary will be labeled blue

Don't feel like reading all of this? Skip down to the summary.

Today you will learn how to cut out single frames from sprite sheets and maybe make it into an animation.

1. Go here and choose a sprite sheet you want to cut out. Once you have chosen the one that you want, save the sheet wherever you want (desktop recommended for easy access)

2. Open up Gimp and then open your sprite sheet you saved. The only thing you have to do is to make your background transparent. Click on the magic wand tool then click on the background of your sprite sheet and it should now be transparent (it will still show the background as white on Gimp, but its transparent) save it as a .bmp file NOT a gif, the image will have the pixels showing.

3. Now, for the part that takes alot of time. Open Paint. Then press Ctrl+E to modify the settings, then set the width and height to 20. Open the sprite sheet. Use the crop tool (the icon is a square dotted line) crop out a single frame from the sheet, and copy it (Ctrl+C)

4. Press Ctrl+N to make a new window and paste the copied frame there. Save it and name it, if you followed my steps earlier, in the dropdown box where it says "Save as type:" "24-bit bitmap" should already be there. That is the best quality to use for animating since Pivot 3 only takes .gif and .bmp files.

Summary:choose a sprite sheet you want to cut out, save it, click the magic wand tool, then click on the background of the sprite sheet, set width and height to 20, crop out a single frame from the sheet, and copy it, make a new window and paste the copied frame there.

I think animating them into pivot is pretty much self-explanatory. But if a tutorial for that is needed...

Please give me feedback on my tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by moony
    if u have a hart up on ur menu bar it means u have vip 2!!

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

This could definitely use some pictures, but It seems to tell the reader what they need to know... but sprite animation isn't a big factor of pivot, seeing as only pivot 3 can do it...

The pictures are in the links.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Oh ok... didn't read enough to notice that.... XD

I still find it easier though, to use a good layout and organize the pictures in there.

So...your saying that I should use [img] tags?

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sticcthug
    So...your saying that I should use [img] tags?
    Yes, but organize the paragraphs and center everything for a better appearance to... You don't have to though, if you don't want to.

I edited it now, and I added a 56 K warning for you dial-up users, since the images are in [img] form now.

Old Newbie
    Cool im gonna look for carh's
    (^_((<0_0>) BUT SECKZ

Enthusiast
    Wow your the first person I've seen use a sprite well in pivot nice job on the tut too i like the idea of using pivot to it's limits.

credit to bahamut for sig
    Courtesy?
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69202

Nice tut for sprite sheets.
    It is kinda self-explanitory tough. It's a helluva lot better to use paint for cutting out sprites cuase it takes a shorter period of time and it's less complicated. GIMP is good if the sprites have a background and you want to take it out.