Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Constraint/Joint stress tutorial

When I look through the forums, I see alot of stick figures who are unaturally flexible. When you animate, you should always consider the fact that your joints can't bend everywhere nilly willy. They have constraints.

The first stick I'm going to show has very little constraint. The only tress happening is the stress his legs are taking to support him.

Remember, the closer something is to green, the less stress it has on it. The more it is red, the more stress is being applied.

A normal amount of stress ranges from green to green/yellow. Tha is the somfort zone. A person/stick becomes uncomfortable when the strees reaches yellow, or yellow orange. Usually, anything between orange and red is painful to a person. Even if a person is completely limp, the stress area shouldn't exceed any stress more intense than yellow, unless they are falling from a good height.

Here's are some more pictures showing various constraint levels.

In this image, you can see his back is bent more, and now he's at a less comfortable position.

Pay close attention to his legs. When weight is shifted from one foot to another, stress is taken off of the leg that has less weight, and it is transfered to the leg that is holding most of the weight now. The stress on the right leg will increase the farther back his body moves. At this point, he's extremely uncomfortable, on the verge of pain.

Now he's in pain. The only way stress like this could occur on the back is if a large amount of weight were pushing downwards onto it. The arms have a tiny bit of stress on them, but none enough to show. The reaosn they don't have more stress is because they aren't holding the guy up, but the guy is pushing them down.

At this point, his back would break. His weight has shifted so far down and right that most stress is taken off both of his legs, and his arms are limp by now, because he's either dead or paralyzed. This could only happen if he fell from a great distance head down, or if there was a massive amount of weight on him. Aklso, his neck is being pushed at an awkward angle now, so it would probably break aswell.
    I'm gay.

Wow, I don't have time to read it all right now, but I looked at the pictures and it all makes sense.

Looks awesome, I never even thought about that stress stuff. Good job.

Dedicated Member

Great tut. This could really help people when working with heavy objects or realistic physics in an animation. Well done!

^Click this and I won't slay you. It's COURTESY!!!^

wow that is awsome, i really didnt read it and dint know how it would help me but great job
    The Extreme Noob Pwner

Enthusiast
    If we keep putting bounds and limits to the realism levels we have to animate then animation becomes less fun than it should be. Sure realism is good sometimes, but we animate to escape reality. Or at least I do.
    [center:2n8115hn][/center:2n8115hn]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    If we keep putting bounds and limits to the realism levels we have to animate then animation becomes less fun than it should be. Sure realism is good sometimes, but we animate to escape reality. Or at least I do.

did you seirously just say that? That sounds extremely stupid. It isn't bounding you to the rules of realism, but bounding you to the rules of art.

And aniamting to bend realism is OK. You can animate magic, transforming, super powers, futuristic anims, anims set in the middle ages, or animaiton with odd creatures. But you fdon't bend the basic rules of physics t0o do so.

Take art for instance. They follow all sorts of rules to draw, and sometimes they rbeak them. But, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

And don't make excuses. this is a tutorial to be better at animating. If you want to suck, go ahead.

EDIT: Also, you said "If we keep putting bounds and limits to the realism levels we have to animate then animation becomes less fun ", which isn't true. I ue these rules without thinking all of the time, and when people haphazardly break them, it annoys me, because it makes the animation lose it's luster. I'm not boundign you to more rules, but reminding you of rules that already exist.
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by .:HiGhLy:.

did you seirously just say that? That sounds extremely stupid. It isn't bounding you to the rules of realism, but bounding you to the rules of art.

And aniamting to bend realism is OK. You can animate magic, transforming, super powers, futuristic anims, anims set in the middle ages, or animaiton with odd creatures. But you fdon't bend the basic rules of physics t0o do so.

Take art for instance. They follow all sorts of rules to draw, and sometimes they rbeak them. But, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

And don't make excuses. this is a tutorial to be better at animating. If you want to suck, go ahead.

EDIT: Also, you said "If we keep putting bounds and limits to the realism levels we have to animate then animation becomes less fun ", which isn't true. I ue these rules without thinking all of the time, and when people haphazardly break them, it annoys me, because it makes the animation lose it's luster. I'm not boundign you to more rules, but reminding you of rules that already exist.
    Calm the $%@# down.

He was just stating an opinion. He wasn't trying to start a debate/flame war about you on real or unreal stuff. And what you said doesn't even make sense.

Now tell me this

1. Do cartoons apply to your tutorial?

Yes

2. Do cartoons apply to your tutorial?

No

?!?!? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPEND!??!!
    You see my point? Anyone can animate the way they want.

I'm not saying your tutorial sucks, I'm saying it's a good tutorial, but doesn't necessarily have to apply to everyone, like Jeremy said. Jeremy did go a litle too far saying that you are keeping animators from animating for fun. But that doesn't mean you should have to do that. Its a damn opinion for christ sake.

Amd Jeremy, this wasn't a "bound" or a "limit" to your animations. This isnt a "guide" to how your animations should look like. This is mostly a guide based on realism type style. Although some cartoonish styles emphasize or lack these elements Highly has portayed to us, it is just to give a general idea.

No need to start a flame war here.
    R.I.P. Mom n Dad

I break obstacles...
    I break stereotypes...
    I break prejudice...
    I break assumptions...
    I break all opponents...
    ...who stand before me.
    I'm a bboy, and i break to any beat.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTHELion
    Quote Originally Posted by .:HiGhLy:.

Calm the $%@# down.

He was just stating an opinion. He wasn't trying to start a debate/flame war about you on real or unreal stuff. And what you said doesn't even make sense.

Now tell me this

1. Do cartoons apply to your tutorial?

Yes

2. Do cartoons apply to your tutorial?

No

?!?!? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPEND!??!!
    You see my point? Anyone can animate the way they want.

I'm not saying your tutorial sucks, I'm saying it's a good tutorial, but doesn't necessarily have to apply to everyone, like Jeremy said. Jeremy did go a litle too far saying that you are keeping animators from animating for fun. But that doesn't mean you should have to do that. Its a damn opinion for christ sake.

Amd Jeremy, this wasn't a "bound" or a "limit" to your animations. This isnt a "guide" to how your animations should look like. This is mostly a guide based on realism type style. Although some cartoonish styles emphasize or lack these elements Highly has portayed to us, it is just to give a general idea.

No need to start a flame war here.
    I'm not startign a flame war. I'm saying any idiot who doesn't follow the basic rules of aniamtion is lazy and shouldn't animate.

When you're learnign how to draw art, you do study upon study upon study, jsut to learn how to draw. They're generic and boring, but I guarantee, if you don't follow them, you won't be able to draw well.

My point is, amazing artists went through years and years of practising relaism before straying off into other realsm and styles. Even picaso painted realistic paintings before he went into his extremely abstract form of art.

If you don't want to follow the basic rule of aniamtion/art, then go ahead, I could care less. I'm just saying, you're probably just too lazy to care, or don't have enough skill to pull off anything realistic.
    I'm gay.

Dedicated Member

I think there was some misunderstandings here.

Highly, the tutorial is great. What Jeremy and Leo are saying is that it doesn't -have- to be applied to every situation in animation. It is basic physics that every animator should know, but they don't necessarily have to apply that knowledge. For example, if you were making some totally absurd animation where your character is doing some really random crap (just search Stick Figures on Crack in Youtube), then the laws of physics don't apply. That's what makes it so damn funny!

This is definitely a skill that every animator should have in their arsenal, I'll give you that. But sometimes, we just need to break the dogma, y'know?

Alright, I'm done.

^Click this and I won't slay you. It's COURTESY!!!^

I see what you're saying, and I agree. What I'm saying is that if you use "Aniamting isn't fun wheny ou follow rules" you're lazy.
    I'm gay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast