Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Phoenix's Physics Tutorial!

I haven't seen much of this, so I guess I'll give it a go.
    Note: This tutorial is mainly for a realistic style, but it might help heavy spacers/unrealistic stylers too, so take a look.

Physics.
    What is physics?

Physics isn't just gravity, it's also reactions and all the other stuff that implies within the law of physics.

Physics itself is the main key to a realistic style, so if you're going lanky and realistic, you gotta get physics down before you go to movements and effects and stuff.

I have to write in almost EVERY Beginner comment I make, and some Intermediate comments too, and actually some Veteran comments, that they should work on setting the physics right, so this can be useful, I hope.

I'm not gonna make this so big, I might edit on other stuff if I think of something.

The thing you should get to know first is gravity, without proper falling, jumping, throwing and other stuff, you can't make it realistic, but before we do that, I have to cover something that's crucial in physics, exactly, easing.

Easing.
    How do you do it?

Easing, essential to all movements, realistic or not. People think they can do it, but in reality, they're not that great with it. It's not as easy as it looks! It's easy to move one arm to show easing, but when they're trying to do it with a whole stickman, they suck just as bad as they did before the tutorial.
    People often describe easing as this:
    |-|--|----|---------|----|--|-|
    And that's true, the vertical lines are the frames, and the horizontal lines are the movements. It's true, as long as you do it with the whole body.

Now let's start with one leg movement easing:

That's not the way you do it, here I did the movements like |--|--|--|--|--|--|, which doesn't resemble acceleration and deceleration. Yes, that's what easing is all about, accelerating to gain speed, driving at top speed, then slowing it down to stop it, no one can start at the same speed, go at the same speed and then stop at the same speed, anyone who knows how cars work would know that.
    This is the right way to do it.

Don't need a .piv file for this..

As you see, here I accelerated the leg to gain speed, then I decelerated to stop it from moving. That's basically how you ease.

Well, that doesn't teach you much do you? So let's try a punch shall we?

If you do it like this, you successfully created a horrible punch. To do a real punch, you have to ease the arm going up, then stop the moving before he punches, do the punch, then ease your way down, and the same with the other arm too.

.Piv

Frame for frame description not necessary, but you can look at the .piv. Anyways thats a better way to do it, Remember, it's not realistic when not moving the legs or the body when punching, I just didn't do it to create it faster, because this is only about easing. So yeah, a better way to punch.

Do you get the idea now? Great, now lets move on to Physics itself!

Physics.
    The importance of it.

Physics is the stuff you need to know to make realistic animations, I covered this in the top of this post, but I'll say it again. Physics = What makes animations smooth and realistic. The first you should need to know when doing physics is gravity.

Gravity.
    How do I use it properly?

Gravity is the force that makes what you throw up, come down again. Everyone knows that. But how do you make it look realistic on Pivot, well, let me explain.
    Alot of people use balls to example gravity on Pivot, but it doesn't show much does it? So to explain it really quick, it's just easing the *origin point and using trail movements*.
    * I will cover what trail movements is later in the guide. Origin point is the orange dot which moves the whole stick.

I'm starting with ball physics as I did with the easing. As you see, there is no easing to it, so then there is no gravity. Gravity is the same thing, you accelerate when you jump up, decelerate before you fall down, and accelerate when falling down and finally decelerating at the landing.

Don't need a .piv file for this..

Heres a ball bounce, not REALLY realistic, but you get the point. As you see the ball is bouncing by easing up and down. It's as simple as that! Heres some guy jumping down a ledge!

This is so wrong I had to force myself through the making. 1. Theres no easing. 2. Theres no trail movement. 3. There is no physics in it. To make a successful jump, ease the charge, jump, apply gravity, give a nice reaction to the landing and trail movement all the way! Like this for an example.

.PivIncludes free lolomfgcat stick

This isn't that great, in fact, not great at all, at least not for my standards, but it shows the point on how you do it! You can see here what I mean by easing all the way, and remember, when you're moving forward, you should keep the speed going up, then slightly reduce it while going down, but still keep the speed. That's what I do.
    Frame by Frame description if requested.

Reactions.
    Attacks, what happens when hit?

As you all know, something has to happen if you get attacked by a weapon or body parts, but how do you do it correctly? So you got hit by a punch, and you're wondering how to make the other stick react to the punch? Well I'm here to help you with that too! Reactions can be done in so many ways that it's actually difficult to come up with a bad example, the thing would be to underact or overreact.. Well to do it is to measure the power of the attack, the object that you're hitting with, and where you hit. Sum all that up to a mathematical equation to solve the exact reaction the stick would have.
    Nah, just messing with ya, to do it is to just feel the punch, feel the power, and the point where it hits, and try to figure out how the reaction would be. If someone punched you hard in the face, you'd normally fall to the ground right? If someone punched you hard in the stomach, you'd either bend down or fall to your knees right? So you get the point, the only problem is how you animate it. I wont do a bad example, because there is no bad examples except underact/overreact, or fall forward when someone hits you in the face. It's common sense.

.Piv You shouldn't want this piece of crap...

Okay, the example is horrible, I'm not putting much effort in the animations, which is why you should READ, instead of watching. The reaction snaps a little, but you get the point, it's not overreacting, it's actually pretty decent but overly balanced, normally you'd fall backwards or lose balance doing that. So the example isn't that realistic, but hopefully you will understand what I mean. Remember to make him lean back when charging the punch, lean a bit forward when punching and go back when done, if you're not chaining. I wont frame to frame describe this piece of shit even if requested, got REALLY lazy on this one >_>

Lets get on with Smoothness for the final part.

Smoothness.
    Is it really that important?

No, smoothness isn't THAT important, there is styles that work well even with only a small amount of smoothness. Smoothness is necessary though, a realistic style can't be built if the character is shaking all the time. The best way to create smoothness is to use trail movements. But what is trail movements? Trail movements is moving the limbs trailing the onion skin, so move the joint towards the onion skin and then- You know what, never mind, I'll show you.

Easing can be considered a part of smoothness, so without easing, it rarely looks smooth, and so you see here. Not only that, but parts shake too, and everything moves unrealistic. You see the point of having smoothness when going for realistic styles? Lets try to do it right.

.Piv Buzz ftw! (Creds)

I felt it was necessary to frame by frame describe this, so here you go.

Frame 1:

This is the position he is in.

Frame 2:

The body is slowly starting to move. Feet are in the same position, and the tip of the back legs foot is still on the ground. Arms are beginning to cross.

Frame 3:

Moving even more here, feet are in the same position, and the tip of the back legs foot is also on the ground, arms are almost crossing.

Frame 4:

Moving even more, back feet lifts off the ground, but front foot is in the same position. Arms are crossing too. Moving the back foot in a trailing movement.

Frame 5:

Back legs crossed fully, so with the arms, foot is going with the flow, so is the legs, also the front foot is in the same place.

Frame 6:

It's going slower, everything is going with the flow, and the foot is in the same place.

Frame 7:

He's beginning to place down his foot, everything is going with the flow, and the other foot is in the same position as always (He will always be in position.)

Frame 8:

Getting close to placing down the foot.. Flow flow flow flow.... (God I'm lazy.)

Frame 9:

Foot is teh placed. Everything else goes like always..

Frame 10:

Beginning to go backwards! Yay! Not really yay though.. Floh floh Flooaahh...

Frame 11:

Arms are moving towards the body, legs are starting to slow down, going backwards, blah blah trail, blah blah flow.

Frame 12:

It's getting sloww... Whooaa... Lol, well, slower, arms sorta touching the body, still keep it nice, clean and flowy =D

Frame 13:

Yay me, soon at the end! Let's move the leg one pixel and stop here to not break the poor leg.. Ease more towards the body..

Frame 14:

Final frame with motion, Yay me! Just ease the arms a final time.

Frame 15:
    Womg white screen ftw.

Finally the tutorial is done, this took me quite a while!

Here is some small physic tips, might add more later:
    Remember to have the foot you have the body weight relied on at the same pixel, all the time, until the weight isn't on that foot anymore.

Ohshi- I had more, but I forgot it, I will edit later. Feel free to give me useful tips to add here.

Well, that finishes up my tutorial, Have fun reading it, and have a good 'career' as an animator!

-Phoenix.
    Thread
    YouTube
    Steam
    SoundCloud

You can also add me on Skype if you want to chat (don't abuse it), I'm "chrozon"

Enthusiast

This is an incredible tutorail!! this helped me a lot Phoenix, i've gotta take another look at it because i didnt read "everything" but i read enough. Seriously though this is probably the best Physics tutorial i've seen it really has a lot of description and detail of what you should and should not do. Also a great layout. Thanks a lot for this your really helping people here. MAKE MORE TUTORIALS!!!

edit: Definitely Master List this

-Santy
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1208105453.png[/img]
    My Animations | Forum Rules| Tutorials | DD Collab

Enthusiast

Whoa man. Awesome tutorial. You're the first person that I've seen who have even mentioned "trail movements", which is awesome and everyone should know about it. I think I got inters shortly after I figured that out.

This is all so well explained and detailed, Master List I say.

Master list if anyone skipped my above comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crono
    chuchuwaewae
    [A N I M A T I O N S] <-- 3 non-broken links
    [A R T W O R K] <-- all broken links

wow thats an awesome tutorial thanks it helped me a lot

Dedicated Member

Excellent tutorial, Pheeny. This tells a beginner everything they need to know. Great work!

Masters much?

^Click this and I won't slay you. It's COURTESY!!!^

master list is a must for this tut. It covered everything and well.

Great job!

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Well, I was really expecting you to animate the physics better than that.
    It is far too slow imo. Far too slow...
    FAR.
    <_<
    It is a nice tutorial though, you gave the basics, although I think you should have discussed more about how things react to gravity, air resistance, and a bit about newtons laws, but meh.
    I can see you put alot of effort (on the writing parts :P ) and it is good overall, but yeah. Better examples, and a bit about actual physics, not just why we need it in animation. It would help people understand more.
    Nice one though. I will go masterlist it.
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz
    Well, I was really expecting you to animate the physics better than that.
    It is far too slow imo. Far too slow...
    FAR.
    <_<
    It is a nice tutorial though, you gave the basics, although I think you should have discussed more about how things react to gravity, air resistance, and a bit about newtons laws, but meh.
    I can see you put alot of effort (on the writing parts :P ) and it is good overall, but yeah. Better examples, and a bit about actual physics, not just why we need it in animation. It would help people understand more.
    Nice one though. I will go masterlist it.
    Yeah, but I don't really know much of the laws and stuff, I'm just a little kid who likes to roll in the grass and chasing butterflies... Erm >_>

Well, I said if I came up with more I'll edit it on =P
    Thread
    YouTube
    Steam
    SoundCloud

You can also add me on Skype if you want to chat (don't abuse it), I'm "chrozon"

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

This tutorial is very well done. It'll be easier directing beginners to this, because it has a lot of content for the basics (easing, physics, etc). I don't think I saw anything on stiffness there though, so that could be a good addition. This is definitely master list material. Good job Phoenix.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Very nice. Nice explanation of realistic movements, it should help many people.
    Btw, masterlisted. ; )
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast