Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FB's Stickmaking Tutorial

Hello everybawdy. Today I will show you how to make sticks my way. This tutorial is only for making sticks, not introducing anybody to making sticks. You can definately find a tut on that in this tutorial section.

1. Basic stkmaking common sense.

A. Rotating objects.
    Okay. So you know how the line with the origin point (orange dot) is the line that will also rotate the object. Lets call that the main line. The only way to be able to rotate the entire object, is by having ALL of the lines come out of the rotating point on the main line. From there you can add lines to the line that is attached to the main line. Never have lines coming out of different directions on the origin if you're making a stick that you want to rotate around and still keep it whole. Make sense?

B. Static/Dynamic lines.To understand where your main line is, you will have to have Static lines. Static lines are lines that stary stationary and cant be rotated. Using static lines makes your object be more organized, easier to use, and easier to tell what the object is because it doesn't have dots all over it. Static lines are a must for fills. You dont want your fill to be flying all over the place now, do you? And another tip for static lines, if you want to make a big thing consisting of static lines, use the duplicate tool and edit mode to adjust it, because drawing a new line makes your new line dynamic and it will be rotatable. Dynamic lines are the exact opposite of static lines and can be rotated freely. You can see if a line is dynamic or static by looking down at the bottom of the stickmaker screen where it says the length and thickness of the line.

C. Fills
    Fills are a great thing. They help make your object not see-through and they make it look realistic. There are 2 types of fills. One type is the kind of fill that is part of the object. (see example below)

Another type of fill is the kind that is a different object.

These kind of fills you need to move with the object and make sure the points always line up.

Okay, now we are done with the advanced-basics. Now we are at...

How to make your stick look good!

Okay. We all want our sticks to look good. Here's how to do it.

A. SMS. (LOL ACRONYM)
    To make a stick for an animation, I suggest that you start out with and SMS (Stick Making Session) All you need to do is get a clean pivot window and start making your stick. Note: always make stuff look the best it can. To do that, keep fixing stuff and adding it to the animation (or in this case, the SMS window). An SMS is great for making you not look like a noob. If you post a piv file of your animation and you had went through all those steps of stickmaking and still made the animation (having all those unfixed "Spam Sticks" as I call them). You will look like a noob. Trust me. If you look at an elite person's animation, you will notice that they never have "Spam Sticks". Their animations are organized. So, use an SMS to help you with stickmaking.

B. Advanced Common Sense.
    Okay. So my style of animating is to make it as realistic as possible, and the objects are doing something unrealistic (E.G. Flying), I try to make them move like a human would if they were flying. So, how do you make your animation look realistic? With realistic sticks of course!

If you want a realistic movement animation, realistic sticks will help alot. Bacground sticks dont need to be realistic, because what we are aiming for here is realistic movement. You cant have realistic movement with a weird looking stick. For stickmen, to look as realistic as possible (legs and arms the right length, head right size), I use the spinal length as a guide. Real people normally aren't scary long-legged and short spined. If they are lanky, they would normally have a backbone and arms that are suitable for the legs. Same with short-legged people. You cant have a stickwith short legs and short arms and a gigantic back bone, or huge arms, short backbone, and tiny legs, ect. If its a long backbone, you might want long legs and arms. If its a short backbone, you might want short legs and arms. Another tip about realisticality, think about the way your built. If you stand up straight, your arms go down to your thighs. If you want your stick to look human like, make his arms like that. Midget's arms go down to their waist, just so you know. Alot of people like midgets these days. Feet also make your stick look realistic. They're not as good looking on midgets, but I really love them.

C. Armor.
    Everybody loves armor. It makes your stick look hardcore, and tough. But too much of it can be a hassle. Big, thick men look really bad. They are hard to animate with, because the movements of the men are muffled by the big body. If you are going to do armor, please, just do a little dose of it, and use thin sticks for full body armor. A good example of what I'm trying to explain is this.

This is a great example of full body armor. Its not super huge, and it looks like it would be easy to move around in if it were real. The hair is awesome too. You can get that stick on Droidz, its called Cloud.

D. Hair
    I'm really good at making stickmen, but not that good at hair. But lemme tell you one thing about making hair in pivot. ALWAYS STUDY ANIME HAIR. It's the best kind of hair to study, because its 2-D, cool looking, and its normally spiky, which looks best on pivot men.

E. Details
    Details are a really fun thing to do. You can really do cool things with it, and it makes your stick look good. An example of one of my detailed sticks is found Here. I cant really explain details, other than that you can use them for just about anything.

Well, thats all I can tell you now. That is my basics of stickmaking. Please comment and make sticks reponsibly.

Creds to: Frozen Fire
    Droid.org
    HAY LOOK AT ME IM COPYING CEEM :P
    COURTESY PLZ
    CLICK ON IT, QWERT.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

I looked really quickly, but it looks pretty well explained. I think we already have tuts on this, but I'm not sure 100%.

Nice try though, contributing to our forum!

Fanatic Enthusiast

yeah pretty good tut. I didn't read it all, but hey, your stks look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    I looked really quickly, but it looks pretty well explained. I think we already have tuts on this, but I'm not sure 100%.

Nice try though, contributing to our forum!
    I did this tut like 2 months ago at pivot-place.

Oh well, at least there is another tut out there for people to see. Better too many than too little.
    COURTESY PLZ
    CLICK ON IT, QWERT.

Enthusiast
    um those sticks were of droidz but nice tutorial nontheless
    sopz fails

Quote Originally Posted by culapou
    um those sticks were of droidz but nice tutorial nontheless
    I know, look at the credits.
    COURTESY PLZ
    CLICK ON IT, QWERT.

It looks good. Well explained. I just have this feeling that I've seen like one third of this tutorial moths ago, here in DD... weird
    [center:s0gvfw74][/center:s0gvfw74]

Great tuterial, i never thought about studying anime hair to put on stickmen!

good job.

This is pretty good,but not great. keep it up!

Old Newbie
    wow. thanks alot. that explained alot, it really helped =

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast